SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
declevel

Kolbe VistaLuxe vs Quaker Quartz Cityline vs Weather Shield Vue vs ???

D C
last year

Hello all, appreciate all the candor and technical knowledge on windows on the forum. I know that there are other threads on the subject but new product lines have been introduced, and I would like to hear your thoughts on them.

Some background: building new house that will be located in Kansas, where we have lots of wind and wild swings in temperature throughout the seasons (sub zero to low 100s). My wife and I are looking for windows that are steel or resemble steel, with metal inside and out. The expense of real steel windows (like Hope’s and Crittall) probably rules them out (unless someone knows of a quality source that doesn’t cost 3x the cost of higher end thermally broken all aluminum windows). We plan to own the house for a long time.

We would like windows and doors with narrow profiles, SDLs or real divided lites (no preference). Don’t need radiuses. Most windows will be casements with some direct glaze. For architectural reasons would prefer push out casements (with restricters so the sashes don’t get blown off the house), but crank out would be ok as long as the mechanism and crank are quality. Would also prefer to have lock boxes on the doors but not absolutely necessary. Windows and doors will not be trimmed out (we will use drywall returns).

I have been to a couple dealers to see windows in person (Kolbe/VistaLuxe WD and AL, Quartz (made by Quaker)/CityLine, Marvin/Modern, and Weather Shield/Vue). Andersen didn’t have an option for this type of window. The fit and finish of all the lines above seem acceptable to us, but we are not experts.

Kolbe VistaLuxe AL would seem like the natural choice given what I know, but it requires the builder to glaze all windows and doors on site, so probably not a good option as our builder will not have experience doing it or want to do it. VistaLux WD seems like a good option but does not offer push out casements and the interior is wood rather than metal (this line does not require the builder to glaze everything on site).

Reviews make me nervous about installing Quaker windows. However, it is my understanding that CityLine is closer to Quaker’s commercial window lines, so I’m not sure if other reviews about their residential windows apply. CityLine windows are metal on the interior and they offer lock boxes so they are attractive. I cannot find a review of these specific windows on the forum.

Marvin Modern looks great, but I’m not sure the fiberglass won’t fade earlier than painted aluminum or steel, and I’ve heard from some pros they’re a nightmare to mull because, strangely, Marvin doesn’t supply all hardware necessary to do it. I’ve also heard they are fit more like replacement windows. They are attractive because they have metal interior material. I cannot find a thread specifically addressing installation or anyone’s experience with these windows.

Finally, I was really impressed with Weather Shield’s Vue line, but am nervous about installing them given the forum reviews I’ve read. They seemed the best built of any window I looked at but some of the most knowledgeable people on the forum have complained generally about Weather Shield quality. I cannot find a thread specifically discussing this line of windows.

I have read on the forum about some European manufacturers of alternatives to steel windows(Reynaers specifically, recommended by Millworkman), but fear the cost will be prohibitive (does anyone know how they compare in cost and quality to the above manufacturers?).

Does anyone have experience with any of the above or advice on what might be the better option for the aesthetic we are after as well as long-term ownership? I’m open to other brands (including the European brands)as well, so please drop a note if you have another steel look idea or know of a quality steel window manufacturer with a price point similar to the above or up to 50% more.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)

• millworkman
    last year

Anything Kolbe and Marvin are both fine choices, Marvin's Fiberglass should not be an issue with fading, You are wise to steer clear of Quaker and I would suggest the same with Weathershield. You may want to look at Arcadia, they make a very nice "Steel Look" T/B Aluminum unit.

• PRO
    D C
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the recommendations. Appreciate it.

• HU-637278989
    8 days ago

Hello! Came across your post in my own research about Marvin vs. Weathershield. May I ask which manufacturer you ended up going with and why? Are you happy with your decision? Thanks in advance!!!!

• PRO
    D C
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Funny you should write today--I logged in by chance to see if anyone else ever responded to my post. Good timing.

We liked Marvin Modern windows, but they are really too modern for our house. We liked the VistaLuxe WD and Weathershield options better. Both have flat grid options inside and beveled outside, resembling the way a traditional steel window looks. We would have gone with VistaLuxe but heard at the last minute that Kolbe was sued by Sierra Pacific for infringement on the way the corners of the casements are built. Kolbe had to change the design, and we heard they did a poor job of it--rumors they have customers out there where the corners on new windows are separating.

There are a lot of complaints about Weathershield on the forum because of poor seals in their glazing assemblies and overall poor build quality (I don't disagree with the build quality issues in some of their lines other than Vue). I learned that Weathershield is now using Cardinal glass for their glazing assemblies, which is the same source used by Kolbe, Marvin and other high quality manufacturers. In person, I thought the Weathershield Vue windows and patio doors were heavy, constructed well, and finished as finely as Kolbe and Marvin.

As such, we went with Weathershield Vue windows. They have been ordered, but not delivered. I can update when they are installed if you like. Best of luck in making your decision.