SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

John Merrifield (Mayancello) passed away

Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
last year
last modified: last year

I thought some of you in the Citrus forum might be interested in this sad news that was posted in a Facebook Citrus group. Many remember John from Guatemala who grew Meyer lemons for his Mayancello product. He used to post in this forum quite a lot and was an authority on the Meyer lemon. I think he used to post as 'Johnmerr', but not sure. When I search for that name, nothing comes up (but Houzz's search engine is terrible, so that's no surprise).

Comments (17)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last year
    last modified: last year

NO!!!!!

I am so horribly saddened!! I just wrote him a few weeks ago and he was fine. He was so proud of his trees and had a such a beautiful place. The place where he lived, those trees, and many of us will sorely miss him!! He looked so good for his age, very sad.

Dave, thanks for letting me know. NO wonder he did not get back to me in messaging. He always does(

• Silica
    last year

I remember Johnmerr fondly. He was an asset to this forum.

• CA Kate z9
    last year

It is always so sad to lose someone who is so willing to share their knowledge. He will be missed.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

I will miss him to. We use to tease each other about a breakfast dat 12-25 2050 to see who could laugh at who over global warming, real or not. I would be 103 and john would be 115 years old. I never expected to make it to 103. that is why that date was chosen.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    last year

John rally knew his stuff when it comes to citrus growing. I have missed him all these years.

• Miss Hibiss
    last year

How terribly sad!! It always feels terrible to lose an expert voice, an old wisdom that is always a pleasure to hear when it's shared and wonderful to interact with when present. :( God bless him.

• serge94501
    last year

How sad, and far too young for such a vibrant soul. He was a real asset here and a nice guy too.

• Howard Martin
    last year

I'm sorry to hear someone  has passed away now some will have to be the one to pickup his lead and go with it

• Howard Martin
    last year

We might want to pray for his family In this unfortunate timing for then 

Howard

• calamondindave
    last year

Oh wow, this is sad. i was just wondering about him the other day while reading something he wrote to me a few years ago. John was the first one to help me learn when i got into citrus. A very knowledgable and friendly guy. i wish i had met him face to face , just to shake his hand and say thanks.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

his contact at company https://mayancello.com/contact

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    last year

Oh no this is so sad. I had no idea. He was such a knowledgeable man. He will be missed. RIP with your Meyer lemons John.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    last year

RIP John 🙏 sad news. He was very knowledgeable and sharing

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

Does anyone know what happened.

• John 9a
    last year

Just saw this....yes, the world and the forum lost a Meyer lemon expert. I often remember his advice for encouraging fruit production in a tree..."Have you tried leaning and ax up next to it?"

Sorry to hear of John's passing but happy to have "met" him here and learned a lot from his advice.....but still haven't had to try the ax trick.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz