SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Nursery Orchids

Bill M.
last year

About two weeks ago I wandered into my local over priced nursery just to see what they had. I was amazed at the huge selection and variety of orchids. From oncidiums, to brassia to odonto to zygo, to paphs to phals to .... I had never seen them carry orchids like this before, just the common phals. Unfortunately they were priced from $40 on up, so I decided to pass, although the Zygos did tempt me.

Two days ago I went back again just to view them because it looked like an orchid show initially. To my surprise, over 80% of them had tags on them saying 50% off! I walked out with five different ones, but sadly, no zygos.

Today I decided to repot all of them because they were in 4" nursery pots. What a chore! They were grown in pure sphagnum moss, which was soaking wet. A lot of the roots on some were dead, whereas on others they were a combination of living and dead. It took forever to remove as much sphagnum as I could but it was a pure nighmare. I guess it's cheaper and easier to pot and grow in pure sphagnum for a bulk nursery, but I have to think that in the long run it doesn't do the plant any favors. What are your thoughts on this?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022