SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_618897318

Layout and any of other tips for our kitchen update (DIY)

Chris H
last year
last modified: last year

We are updating our kitchen. Our goal is to use existing cabinets (we are possibly open to new ones but are trying very hard not to as ours are in good shape and are newer from prior owners and budget is an issue). My original post was centered on creating a breakfast bar, we have since nixed that idea and plan to move two cabinets based on suggestions from that post. Our current plan is to move the pantry (see A) to the low counter area next to cabinet I.

We then want to move cabinet I (base only bc we want to put a pot rack above it) to where the pantry is (see A). We also want to open the doorway where cabinet I currently is. This would be into the dining room. We want to do this because it would feel more open (we cannot take the whole wall down). I have included a floor plan and measurements. Please forgive me if there is too much measured or not enough. There may also be some very small differences in the room measurements but I’m not sure that effects our plans. Additionally, we met with a KD today who offered an additional layout option (see photo of their rendering - I don’t have measurements yet they will email me Tuesday). I am not sure I like the idea of the island because it feels like we would have less floor space (if we go with the island option we will have them build and install the island along with our new countertops). We feel pretty confident that the A to I cabinet switch will work based on measurements but I’m curious what others think or suggest. To recap; we are moving two cabinets (A and I), installing new wood floors (there is damage to existing ones and they are laid over another floor which makes them up higher than the rest of the house, also wood), granite counters with a granite backsplash to the window trim, painting, updating fridge to a SS French door bottom freezer, new lights eventually, removing the decorative wood above the sink near the crown molding, and I think that’s it! For those with peninsulas, would you rather an island layout? Does this seem like a solid plan? Thanks!
A 26.5” W by 24” D
B 71” W by 12” D (there is a small spacer to the left of this that I’m not sure how to measure)
C 21 1/4” W by 12” D
D 34 1/2” W by 12” D
E 10 3/4 W by 24” D
F 33 3/4” W
G (spacer) 5 1/4” W
Dishwasher space 24 1/8”
H 48” W by 23 7/8” D
I 29 3/4” W by 24” D

N/A
N/A

Comments (72)

Sponsored