SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Need help to redo my Porch/Mudroom/Pantry (next to my kitchen)

enduring
last year

Plan: My porch/mudroom/pantry needs help in updating walls and floors. Other floors include the kitchen and the office that are adjacent to the porch. This porch is the main entry to the house. This is an old small farm house on a working family farm that has a grain and livestock operation. The porch is fully enclosed and insulated. It has a concrete stairway down to the basement. We store our coats and boots in this room as well as a pantry for food. Also my fridge is in this room as my kitchen is too small for a fridge :/ It is a hard used room, and at times has had a calf recovering from a difficult birth, or an old incontenant dog sleeping at night on the protected floor. We will not be moving walls, windows, or entries. The areas I need help with are the walls, ceiling, and organization and style of closets. I think I've sorted out the flooring.

The ceiling: It needs painting. currently it has paneling on it and is probably there to cover cracked plaster. My MIL wont remember the circumstances that lead to the application of paneling on the ceiling. I want to caulk, prime, and paint the ceiling a white. The ceiling is 7ft high. A flush mount light is in the center of the room and is operated by a pull cord. Opening to the attic above the fridge.

The walls: Existing walls are paneled in an old knotty pine and I was thinking of cleaning and reapplying polyurethane. But I might consider painting. Trials of alcohol and lacquer thinner tell me that part of the walls are in lacquer finish and the other is a poly.

The floor: Existing flooring is glued down vinyl that has lasted very well since the 70's. I want to put a floating luxury vinyl tile down, and have selected an option - H-Flor Prestig in Carbon Black. Its by the company LX Hausys (I think its LG company) The same flooring will also be used in the kitchen and office.

https://www.lxhausys.com/us/products/hflor/hflor-finder/lvt-flooring/filter/collection/prestg-spc

Closets: Used for coats on the right side of the closet wall, near the door to the outside. The sliding door closet to the left is a pantry area. There is a small broom closet to the left of the pantry area. The open closet area is a new configuration to help with function, but I want the sliding doors back on.

Hanging Sliding Closet Doors: Totally want to redo these with something thinner so there is more interior space for coats in the coat closet. Thinking of 3/4” finished surface plywood of birch. Currently the interior space is only about 18” deep.

Plan view and elevation photos:

I hope this plan makes sense. There are measurements listed for the porch, and the whole plan is drawn to scale. The width to the house is 20ft wide. This house is small. The new floor will go on the porch, office, and kitchen. It is selected to coordinate with teh bathroom floor and the dining room floor.

North Wall with the closets:

West wall with fridge and door to the kitchen:

South wall with the pony walls that overlook the stairwell to the basement. Note ALL the coats! You can see the cord hanging down from the ceiling mounted light.

East wall with the door to the outside:

Selected vinyl is H-Flor Prestig in Carbon Black. Its by the company LX Hausys (I think its LG company):

LVT next to the bathroom Brazilian slate tile:

Comment