anniedeighnaugh

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - W 1/11/23

Welcome to my home week. Show me:

M - Your front door

T - Something in your home you love

W - Something in your home you're not happy with

Th - View from a kitchen window

F - View from a bedroom window

I'm including our friends from Home Deco Convo's this week as I think this is a topic they might enjoy. Of course, they're more than welcome to join us here every day at the Kitchen Table...

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

Comments (51)

• Gargamel
    last year
    last modified: last year

The vertical seams between the ”Beaver Board” (I don’t know what it actually is called, our house is from 1940’s) drive me crazy. I just can’t think of a way to cover them over. My most recent idea is to use thin half round strips and paint them the same colour as the wall, but am concerned about too many lines. I like the texture of the wall. The tiled ceiling doesn’t bother me anymore

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Gargamel, all I can think of is wallpaper...can do a solid or texture if you don't want pattern, though pattern will obscure the lines for sure.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

If it helps at all, Annie, I had to look carefully and give a lot of thought to what you might mean. Looks great to me!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Gargamel
    last year

Thanks Annie! I think that’s the best solution.

• eld6161
    last year

I agree with Mtn, Annie. It’s one of those that only bother you.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • arcy_gw
    last year

I think wall paper will attach tightly and over time the lines/bumps will show. In my home DH would cut a big rectangle re-rock it and retape. Gone. I still don't know what is the issue with the bathroom tile.

Excuse the Christmas. I don't have reason to take pictures of this area as a rule. I like the open concept staircase but I HATE the old Chicago brick wall at the entrance. The super dark paneling was EVERYWHERE and most has been 'fixed' but the railing remains. It's not attractive and it seems to me it should be--given it's prominance in our home. SIGH DH doesn't see it so here it is 20+ years later. There's more of the horrid brick downstairs surrounding a wood burning stove. It's fine on my outside but inside??? No thank you!!!

• eld6161
    last year

DH worked very hard supervising all of the renovations in our Florida house. I was not there for the kitchen. I'm not happy with 4 inch BS here on the buffet.

Yes, I know it can be removed but for many reasons, I’m keeping it.

• nicole___
    last year

What's wrong with THIS picture?

The drain is on the other side of the tub! It's going to be a total tear out to fix it. I keep putting it off....

The Italian inlaid marble tile @ the end of the planning desk....points the wrong way...it should curl down...(I was left extra tile....I can fix it......in my spare time.)

• Jasdip
    last year

My blinds! All of my blinds came with the apartment. These are floor-length and cover the heater. What I hate is that they open from the center using the rods. They catch on the edge of the heater every single time. They're difficult to pull and often the rod will come off. I didn't realize until recently that the apartment below me has the chain on the side and her blinds just go above the heater. Much easier to use.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Jasip I could have listed my verticles too--but luckily 99% of the time mine are hidden behind curtain panals and mine are on pulls like a curtain. Somethings just never make it to the top of the list!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

eld, what dont you like?

• Jasdip
    last year

Arcy, mine are hidden as well behind my curtain panels. I close them at night and open them in the morning. But it's a pia every single time.

I'll post another hate here.

The horrible, curse-worthy design of the black hole of calcutta, blind corner of my lower kitchen cabinets. That's the one I should have posted.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

arcy, have you considered painting the brick? It would change the look a lot. I did that with my old fireplace wall in the old house (it was the 50s gray cement bricks) and it made a huge difference at little cost.

• User
    last year

My recent internet antenna. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I feel like I’ll be making first contact any day now.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Hahah Roxsol! Wrap lights around the guy-wires and it'll make a perfect xmas tree!

• Allison0704
    last year

I put lipstick on a pig in our powder room with my mother's paintings and antique mirror. I have found (online) a pedestal sink, but there always seems to be something else going on and I never make the trip to see in person.

When I purchased the hand towel, I bought extra to make a skirt to hide. Problem is the angled corners. You cannot do a small rod in the front or take the curtain over the angled section. Velco wouldn't work either. I do like the storage though, and the antique chandelier the sellers left make up for it too.

Oh, and the decorative AC cover is glued to the sheetrock, and not centered. I just try to ignore and hung Mom's paintings anyway. I could probably cover the vent (diverting the air) and rehang the art. No one stays in there very long anyway.

• Gargamel
    last year

Roxsol, is that a Starlink antenna?

• jrb451
    last year

The broken slide knob for the blinds on one of our casement windows that Pella wants several hundreds of dollars to repair.

• dedtired
    last year

Where to start? Imcould post a picture of the entire house.

My den ceiling. In a moment of insanity 40 years ago, my ex and I painted this ceiling with textured paint. It used to be wirse than itbis now. One time I sanded off the worst of it.

Next my kitchen tile floor. I hate everything about this floor but the worst is the cracked grout. Its been repaired before and just cracks again. The floor was not properly installed.

• User
    last year

Roxsol, is that a Starlink antenna?

I don’t think so Gargamel, but the reception is terrific.

• stacey_mb
    last year

I am not a "plant person" and would like to get rid of most of my indoor plants, although I don't like to discard those that were given to me, like this one

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

I will not go down this rabbit hole, I will not go down this rabbit hole. pfffft of course I will.

This drives me stark raving mad. This is DH's laptop cord attached to an extension cord that he can drag from his 'spot' on the sofa around the wall to his 'spot' at the kitchen table. One of the (many) things I insisted on in this build was floor outlets in our very open LR - however I was reluctant to place them until I knew for sure how the furniture layout would be. We are coming up on 6 years. And I will bet you any amount of $$ that it ill be like pulling hens teeth to get DH to cut into the floor and actually put in the outlets.

• User
    last year

I’m ”liking” these photos just to commiserate with you all, not because I like your unhappiness with the situation.

• Lars
    last year

Elliptical machine in my living room - I don't have any other place to put it, but I need it.

• Sueb20
    last year

I can’t post a pic of DH’s ”mancave” in the basement because you’d think I was married to a crazy person. But that is truly something I hate about this house but I guess I should be glad it’s hidden away in the basement. It actually looks like he’s a hoarder.

Here’s something I can show, though. Top of stairs to the third floor. This is the main reason we didn’t put a master suite up there, but it’s fine for our 5’1” DD and for 5’2” me. Not great for 6’4” DH and most average adults. ”Watch your head!”

• eld6161
    last year

Mtn, the 4 inch backsplash. It has no purpose or reason to be there. I made sure to tell the stone yard not to put in the 4 inch on the kitchen side just to be safe, but didn't consider they would add one to the buffet cabinet.

• jakabedy
    last year

This jetted tub. A previous owner bumped into the office on the other side to install this thing. It has been used once (and not by me) in the 5.5 years I've lived here. The original phone-booth-like ca. 1954 shower is on the other side of the bathroom. Last year I worked with a designer on a plan to rip out the old shower and put a new big shower where the jetted tub is. The quotes for the work came back ridiculously cost-prohibitive, so the jetted monster will be with me for some time to come.

• arcy_gw
    last year

No I have never thought of painting the brick. The color isn't my issue--I am a fall person over all. Painted brick screams cheap fix everytime to my eye. It's the entire instalation of BRICK I dislike. If I could think of an alternative pony wall, thinner, maybe a room divider grid a top that I thought would really work DH could easily manage that change. I hate it but I see no better alternative. It makes sense with the brick on the outside, on our chimney and the downstairs hearth. If it were gone no one would ever know. If I paint it someone is going to say WHY THE MISMATCH!?

• LynnNM
    last year

Dog gates everywhere! We now have one very wonderful but still not house-trained and a big chewer 1 1/2year old Doberman rescue. AND, a wonderful 14 y/o Tibetan Spaniel who has dementia, gets lost and stuck everywhere, and is also pretty much blind. And, one still-normal, (thankfully) wonderfully dependable , 11 y/o Tibetan Spaniel girl. Soooo, for the time being, we need to corral the ”kids” some for our own peace of mind. But, we love them all.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

The old school desk DH will not let go. See how battered it is? Some would call it ’character’. That’s really not the entire reason I’d like to move it to a less prominent spot, but there really isn’t another place to put it in our house.

• Bestyears
    last year

Like Sueb, I'm not going to post photos of DH's mancave because you would think I too am married to a crazy person. Unfortunately for me, this room started as his office and is immediately off our foyer. And it's got french doors. My only solution has been to make drapery panels for the doors so I can close them at times and not see it at all. Here's a sampling of what I saw in the three minutes I was in there this morning: a dozen 6-inch thick binders full of crap from his engineering days. I keep trying to explain that he's been retired 10+ years, and nobody is going to call him for that crap. A container of fire ant killer that has been there for a few years. Piles and piles of crap. Ugh. I just can't go in or I lose it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

arcy, not my decor, but a picture from our old house. In addition to the full wall of brick by the fireplace, it had a knee wall separating the dr from the lr. that was used as a planter...in the middle of the house, nothing would live as it got no light. It was awful, but we made do by adding a wooden carved screen and lighting above as a display area. Apparently subsequent owners are happy with it as they kept it.

• Allison0704
    last year

@OutsidePlaying I think the desk is nice looking. Especially compared to the two I donated when we moved. Granted the top is slanted, so it cannot be used as a table.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

The damp cellar. It’s been proofed three times but the water always comes through. we’re beginning to suspect there’s a spring beyond the walls.

P.s. I love the desk.

• jojoco
    last year

Arcy, why don't you cover it with drywall? Or wood and add decorative panels to it? I think it is your husband who does wood crafting--wouldn't this be an easy fix for him?

• salonva
    last year

I;m not limited to what Sueb and bestyears posted, but we might be married to the same man. His man cave is so horrid and dark and cluttered and even the way he prefers the furniture there to be laid out is just irritating.

• Stephanie
    last year

I am allowed just ONE THING?!?

Ok aside from bathroom and kitchen layouts that will cost a lot of money to renovate and spousal and kid messiness annoyances, etc. i think what makes me crazy is something that was done a month or so before the home was put up for sale. i understand but it makes me cry thinking of all the expense i have to do to undo this. i tried to do it myself and cant, it looks awful - i have to pay someone to do it.

they painted ALL the real walnut panelling in the basement and office. not fake or cheap stuff - the real deal and in accessible beige. 😭

• jrb451
    last year

@barncatz, looks like stucco to me. I like it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

barncatz, the wall finish is really well done!

• barncatz
    last year

Thanks guys - I really hate it!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

One of my downstairs bathrooms. its too late to complain now, but I think the box was filled with somewhat damaged pieces, making the floor appear dirty. One of these days I’ll replace with the wood thats in the other.

• nicole___
    last year

@barncatz.....I got yelled at for using orange peel sprayed-on texture instead of skip-trowel on a basement I'd volunteered to finish....free of charge. What YOU used is called skip-trowel. The lady said she hated orange peel texture and she'd had it ALL removed & skip trowel put in. To this day she hates me...over my choice of wall texture. :0)

• porkandham
    last year

This is a new development. Very unhappy with this. It‘s the trees down accross our lakehouse shared drive after yesterday’s tornados. We got lucky and the house is fine. It stops about 25 yards from our property.

• LynnNM
    last year

Oh no, I’m so sorry! Glad though they didn't damage your lakehouse!

• porkandham
    last year

@LynnNM Thank you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Yow pork and ham! That's too close for comfort!

• porkandham
    last year

@Annie Deighnaugh Yes it was! We got very lucky. So much devastation all around us.

• Allison0704
    last year

Oh no! Glad your house was spared. Such devastation from the tornadoes.

• porkandham
    last year

@Allison0704 Thank you! It was just tragic for so many.