SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Temptation......

lucillle
last year

A little while back the weather in my area was freezing for a few days. I had brought my plants inside. One of the neighbors, a busy couple, left their one plant out and it froze. And died.

I don't see them often but I did yesterday, and I had several plants back outside. I invited them to choose any one they wanted as a replacement for their departed plant. They chose a nice fern.

Early that evening I heard a knock on my door, and there they were, with a beautiful round loaf of fresh bread still warm from the oven. I thanked them and they left, and as soon as I did I ate a piece. And some more today. Maybe I should have showed a little more self control for the sake of my health, but I gave in to the temptation. And this was regular white wheat flour bread, I couldn't even rationalize that it was lower carb.

It was wonderful.

The rest of the loaf has been frozen, to be eaten in small amounts from time to time.

So, what temptations have you given into recently?

Comments (41)

• rubyclaire
    last year

Recently? All of them...:(

lucillle thanked rubyclaire
  • Jilly
    last year

That is so sweet of all of you. :)

I’m not supposed to have soft drinks or wine (GERD).

Guess who has had soft drinks and wine this week. Not at the same time, at least.

lucillle thanked Jilly
  • Related Discussions

Tuesday's terrific temptations

Q

Comments (13)
    I must have missed this thread yesterday, another great group of daylilies. Love Kaleidoscopic Intrique, such an interesting pattern. I am liking Ultimate Sacrifice more every time I see it, & Spacecoast Francis Busby is very nice too. I must be going through another red with edge phase. Last time I was in a red phase though, it was for a darker red.
    ...See More

Temptation...

Q

Comments (6)
    The Trad farms are my very favourite place on earth... For many reasons they let me in free and over the years the people there have bcome my friends.. They have turf fires in all the cottages and bake soda bread on them. The houses are exact replicas of local farms in the 30s and 40s.. Hens pecking round, and all along the way, animals.. I go there as a real treat after my shopping in KIllarney. Sit by their fires and knit a while.. Chat to the visitors and show them round sometimes. Two HUGE shirehorses,,, a baby donkey! Is like stepping back in time. Just now so many young critters and watching the children with them is sheer magic. Have a look at the website; traditional farms muckross house killarney
    ...See More

Source for amaryllis 'Temptation'?

Q

Comments (10)
    Just happened to be browsing and came across Temptation for a fall order available from K. van Bourgondien. Unfortunately, I believe that you can't buy just 1 bulb but have to buy 3. I know many of you here have purchased from them and I personally have bought lilies that we planted last fall from them and they came in good condition. At least it's good to know that this is still available so there is hope of finding them elsewhere if one doesn't want to buy 3 bulbs! Donna☺☺
    ...See More

Resisting the Temptations

Q

Comments (6)
    I sold my house which flooded 6 months ago and moved into a tiny apartment. At my house I had beautiful roses, day lilies, salvia, all kinds of gorgeous plants. I LOVED being in my garden. I was sad when I moved into my apartment and had no plants. I now have cacti/succulents, orchids, various house plants and African Violets. I have 4 plant shelves with artificial lights because there is only one window in my apartment. I am happy again. I'm not one of those people who have to have a formal living room. I have a sofa and love seat and TV, and plants. I'm happy. My family is happy for me. And with a combination of fluorescents and LEDs, the electricity is not an excessive expense. Do what makes you happy with the plant situation.
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    last year

Thank all that is holy that eggnog is only in the stores for the holidays. It is my kryptonite. I am helpless when it's around. I drank an eggnog (with Irish whiskey) every freaking night until the stores finally stopped stocking it..

lucillle thanked Bunny
  • nicole___
    last year

I was gong to start fasting...only eating one meal a day...but....never started. :0)

lucillle thanked nicole___
  • wildchild2x2
    last year

I allow myself to eat everything, even while losing weight. My method is good old fashioned portion control and tracking calories loosely based on the very old WW program food exchange lists, similar to diabetic exchanges. It keeps my diet varied and reminds me to eat enough fruit and vegetables.

lucillle thanked wildchild2x2
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    last year

My weakness is clothes and shoes and books. Since I can get books on my tablet now and don't have to buy them, I have curbed that temptation but the clothes and shoes have gotten out of control. Just this morning I had to have a skirt, a shirt and a top. My daughter is not going to thank me when she has to deal with my clothes after I am gone.

lucillle thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • LynnNM
    last year
    last modified: last year

These culprits! Unlike most folks, it seems, I don’t have much of a love for sweets. But, I do LOVE salty, spicy foods. A lot! Because we try to eat healthfully, I never buy potato chips and the like, and only Siete tortilla chips for salsa. But, my darling daughter put a bag of these Dot’s Honey Mustard Pretzel Twists in my Christmas stocking and I can’t stop sneaking a handful several times a day! To me, they’re the equivalent to most people’s love of chocolate. I’m positive I’m going to gain 10 pounds just from this one bag! Ohhhh, but they’re so good!

lucillle thanked LynnNM
  • Ally De
    last year

My name is AllyDe, and I could easily be a sugar addict.

Normally I just don't eat the stuff - because the more I eat, the more of it I crave. So I generally don't eat candy, cakes, pies, or anything "sweet."

The only time I ever use sugar is a small amount in my one cup of morning coffee, because I need to cut some of the coffee bitterness or I can't drink it....and if I can't have my morning cup of happiness things get bad very quickly from there.

Anyway....

Fast forward to this holiday season. I had a carppy few months leading up to Christmas, so started rationalizing to myself that "just a little bit" won't be so bad. And so I started eating all the holiday cookies, and brownies, and oh, the holiday desserts were just calling my name....And 1 turns into 3 turns into way too many...

And here we are in the first week of January and all of a sudden I'm up 7 pounds. For the love of squirrels!

Guess we're going to find out if I have any will power left.

lucillle thanked Ally De
  • lisaam
    last year

Hi Ally De - Im I’m a prosyletizer for Aeropress coffeemakers. I like it because it is very compact and brews a smooth, flavorful, not acidic, espresso-like cup of coffee. My favorite coffee is Peets Maj.Dickisons blend. I was wanting a second cup today and drank a bit of my husband’s french press brew—- so acidic!

lucillle thanked lisaam
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

My temptations are gone now, but when they were still around, one was a batch of cheddar cheese straws - and I ate just about the entire batch all by myself, before that it was butter spritz cookies - also ate almost the entire batch myself.

I'm a butter-holic 😃

Sorry - not sorry!

lucillle thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • kevin9408
    last year

I love fruit cake and go crazy over the holidays with never any self control. After the holidays I like to look for fruit cakes on sale and Tuesday I bought a 2 pounder with plans to make it last a month, right now it's 70% eaten and won't make it through the weekend.

lucillle thanked kevin9408
  • blfenton
    last year

At Christmas I always have an inner argument going with myself. All that chocolate that somehow winds up at my house - do I eke it out one piece a day or do I just indulge myself and eat as much as I want everyday until it's gone. Which is healthier vs which makes me happier. I prefer to eat as much as I want everyday until I have taken care of that temptation and have vanquished it.

lucillle thanked blfenton
  • dedtired
    last year

I have been on a potato chip binge. I can sit and just mindlessly eat them, and do. This must stop. My pants are getting tight.

On the other hand, I gave a box of See’s chocolate truffles to the library staff. They were a gift to me and I didnt want them around. However, I kept the bag of Walker’s shortbread christmas tree cookies. No wonder my pants dont fit.

lucillle thanked dedtired
  • nini804
    last year

I have a hard time around Halloween bc I have a real weakness for those little pumpkins. It’s just the pumpkins, though. I’m not addicted to regular candy corn. I literally avoid the candy aisle bc I’m afraid I’ll give in and buy a bag…then eat the whole thing in a couple days. 😳🙄🤣 It’s a problem! Thank goodness they are seasonal!!

lucillle thanked nini804
  • lascatx
    last year

My temptation was a certain doodle brought home without any real planning or even a lot of thought and a bunch of dog toys since.

lucillle thanked lascatx
  • deegw
    last year

Kettle chips. I finally finished the giant bag I purchased for our New Year's chips and dip so I'm FREE from its siren song.

lucillle thanked deegw
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I don't buy potato chips - or cheese puffs - because I will eat an entire bag in one go, and then feel gross from all the salt. I prefer old school thin chips to the kettle style.

• Sueb20
    last year

I bought sea salt caramels from San Juan something…based on a rec in this group. DH and I both got addicted. Ate them. Then I ordered a different brand from amazon, and meanwhile he ordered more of the original ones…suffice to say we both are addicted and we ”need” to finish the last box so we can move on with our lives and never buy them again.

lucillle thanked Sueb20
  • jill302
    last year

AllyDe - I could have written your post other than I do not like sugary coffee. Definitely a sugar addict, just little bits here and there and all of a sudden I am up 5 pounds.

lucillle thanked jill302
  • runninginplace
    last year

I've quit drinking alcohol, well wine since that was the only alcohol I consumed.

But during the holidays tempation arrived along with with visiting family including millennials who love a cocktail with dinner and friend gatherings at nice restaurants where a glass of chardonnay seems so appropriate...urgh.

Thing is, I KNOW that at my age/stage of life even one glass which has been my limit for years will result in lousy sleep and if I indulge in that one glass per evening repeatedly, pretty quickly a general feeling of malaise.

And yet...there I went

Fortunately visitors are gone, life is back to normal, no more restaurant outings for awhile and the wine glasses are washed and put away probably for another year!

lucillle thanked runninginplace
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

When I succomb, I remmeber this gem from Oscar Wilde and move on with a smile. As for what temps me, the festive season brings out my sweet tooth, plus my normal lust for bread and cheese.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.”

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

lucillle thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Adella Bedella
    last year

I actually did pretty good this year. The sale aisles after Christmas have a certain temptation. I'm already trying to cull decorations so that part was easy to walk away from. I've always had a soft side for after holiday candy sales. A bargain isn't a bargain if you're going to eat it all and get fat. I settled for one bag of peanut m and m's and a couple of bags of shaped marshmallows that will eventually become rice crispy treats later. Oh, and I picked up a few Christmas bath bombs and a fingernail clipper set some chapsticks, but those are regular grooming things my household uses.

lucillle thanked Adella Bedella
  • Lars
    last year

Like Bunny, eggnog is my weakness, and if I see it in a store, I feel compelled to buy it, since it is not always available. However, I am usually able to limit myself to brands that do not contain HFCS, and so that cuts down my options.

lucillle thanked Lars
  • texanjana
    last year

I ate both full-size Butterfingers that I received in my Christmas stocking. They are my favorite "blast from the past" candy. I keep dark chocolate around for an occasional bite, but do not keep Butterfingers (or ice cream) in my house because I have no self-control.

Shockingly, I only had one glass of eggnog this year. I love it, but so do our sons so they took care of the rest of it.

lucillle thanked texanjana
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I look forward to the eggnog showing up in stores every year. I still haven't quite forgiven Starbucks for discontinuing their eggnog lattes. I've bought it at Costco as early as October, and still have two half gallons of the ultra pasteurized here good until sometime next month ;) Costco did not have any more this last week.

The calories aren't an issue for me, and along that line why it's hard for me to point out a temptation. I've never been much of a sweets person. I'll pay too much for very fresh seafood if that counts, like Alaskan scallops - and this week DH cooked live crab in the driveway one night. He and his friends are planning on doing it again about Tuesday....

lucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I missed my dear friend’s homemade egg nog this year. She always made huge batches and gave a big bottle (or 2 or 3 to some of us) to good friends. Nothing compares to hers so I only indulged once when offered some semi-homemade by my niece’s DH.

That said, my DH won a batch of cinnamon rolls from one of our favorite bakeries at our Miata club meeting the other night. We always give away a couple of small door prizes at each meeting. First time in ages we have won anything, and of course cinnamon rolls are one sweet I absolutely adore. I have enjoyed one with my coffee yesterday and today, then I’m swearing off any more and will freeze the last ones.

lucillle thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Feathers11
    last year

I can't believe I didn't have even a glass of eggnog this holiday season--the first time since I was a child. I usually start around Thanksgiving and go hard until New Years. I often cut it with a bit of milk or whiskey, and also use it as coffee creamer, in afternoon tea... I'd probably lather it on as moisturizer, I love it so much. But for some reason, every time I saw it in the store this season, I said, "Oh, I'll buy it next time." Before I knew it, the season was over.

OutsidePlaying, a friend's husband used to make it homemade, too. It was divine!

My temptations mostly took place over the course of 5 days with extended family. My mother has a wooden peanut M&M dispenser that she leaves out for the grandkids. It's one of those "I'll just have 1 or 2" until you realize the grandkids are off playing in the other room, and you're refilling the dispenser for yourself. I don't even like peanut M&Ms!

lucillle thanked Feathers11
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

In the Christmas season, it is marzipan stollen. I consumed 2 in the space of 4 days! Fortunately Aldi sold out of them before I was forced to buy another. (I did contemplate driving to World Market, but without any other reason to go near there, I resisted)

lucillle thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I’ve never liked eggnog, but do like salt and sugar!

My temptation is buying more resale stock when I haven’t listed everything yet. It’s ”justified” by having more free time right now. However, I have a few rolling racks and containers that will keep my busy when full time work resumes!

lucillle thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

I was eating Dove Choc w Almond since it's good for you, right? At least my justification for buying the XL size bag. Then I read about heavy metals in dark choc so that justified my switch to milk choc... and anything else that is sitting here from Christmas that's loaded with sugar. So now the withdrawal needs to start a.s.a.p!

Lynn, I saw bags of DOT'S in the wine store - I resisted then but now have to have them :)

Lucille, that loaf would be history w me :)

lucillle thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I avoided eggnog this past season too - and not really on purpose. I just consume very little alcohol these days.

I'm the only one who likes it, so I would have had it all to myself - with some good bourbon, of course. I prefer to make my own - eggnog, not bourbon 😊

• Oakley
    last year

I'm probably alone on this one, but we were given a lot of leftovers after Christmas dinner and one dish was corn casserole. I kind of ate all of it and didn't share with DH. oops!

lucillle thanked Oakley
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Carol, eggnog can be quite good sans alcohol....and how I can have it mid morning for a pick me up. Alcohol in the morning doesn't pick me up. No mimosas at brunch for me or I'm on slow speed the entire rest of the day ;)

lucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Funkyart
    last year

Lucille, I am with you on bread and butter -- I had to stop buying the rosemary sourdough I kept around for soup meals.

I am like LynnNM and a few others in that I really am not drawn to sweets-- but I DO have a few sweets I love and this year my indulgence was shortbread. I guess I am seeing a trend-- it's the butter.

@jojoco that purse is so pretty-- and so happy, sunny! Perfect for a winter escape to FL!

lucillle thanked Funkyart
  • barncatz
    last year

Hersheys Candy Cane Kisses. They appear in late October/ early November and are gone right after Christmas. I like sweets, but had managed to stop an unfortunate pastry/cookie binge thing I'd fallen into when I started a low dose Statin last Fall - and then My Precious appeared in the stores.

lucillle thanked barncatz
  • Ally De
    last year

Sugar is weird for me. As long as I don't eat it, I don't crave it. Fortunately a small amount in my one cup of coffee doesn't trigger anything. But lord help me if I eat a cookie, or some candy - the more I eat, the more I want.

I like salty snacks too. But I have no problem eating just a few potato chips and walking away. If I open a bag of M&M's....sigh. The only way to win is not to play.

Zero sugar yesterday. I already feel better. Hopefully I can lose these extra holiday pounds. I am so frustrated with myself but I should have known better.

lucillle thanked Ally De
  • gsciencechick
    last year

Nini, I love the mellowcreme pumpkins, too! I think we had a bag around Halloween.

I did have wine and tequila over the holidays as well as eggnog. MIL bought eggnog we were supposed to have on Christmas Eve (canceled because she had CV), but it had a Dec 25 expiration date, so we had a few glasses and then last week I threw the rest out. It was a half gallon, so that is way too much. I have posted in the past that wine gives me horrible sleep so although I love it, I know if I want to feel good, then avoiding it is best and save it for special occasions.

I had ice cream last week when I picked up my falafel salad. It’s hard not to when the ice cream parlor is in the same building.

lucillle thanked gsciencechick
  • hhireno
    last year

I’m an equal opportunity weakling to temptation, sweet or salty. Homemade, old school, no fancy prep, rice krispy treats, or orginal flavor, no ridges or kettle cooked, potato chips. If one treat or chip is good, another sliver or handful are even better.

lucillle thanked hhireno
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

My problem with a non-alcoholic eggnog is that it goes down even faster than the alcoholic kind!

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

My DD’s SO’s mom gave me a box of See’s candy for Christmas and I finally opened it last night and indulged. Today I gave the rest of the box to DD:) I’m happy to get back on the low carb/sugar wagon today!

I also gave into temptation and bought myself yet another dress I don’t need, and sandals I don’t need, both on a resale site I’m addicted to… that’s another story.

lucillle thanked chinacatpeekin