SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bitmaster20

Sideyard drought resistant landscaping ideas

bitmaster20
last year

I am in Southern California (Zone 10b) and am looking for ideas to replace the grass and ground cover in my west facing sideyard with drought resistant plants. Currently both the ground cover and some part of the lawn are on the same sprinkler zone. I want to convert the area that is serviced by the same sprinkler zone into a drought resistant landscape. That way I will be wasting less water, and get that entire area under the same sprinkler schedule.

The length of the area is around 65 feet, the width starts of at around 7 feet and tapers off to around 3 feet. The slope also gets steeper from the wider to the narrower part of the sideyard.

I would prefer to have shrubs that are green, leafy with colorful flowers, no cactii. I did some research and found that Butterfly Iris, Mexican Bush Sage, Red Cross Kangaroo Paws would fit the bill. I wanted to get ideas about the placement of these (or other plants), and whether I need some kind of ground cover (Rosemary?) in front of the plants to add depth to the landscape.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

I have posted street view and satellite image for reference.

Thanks.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting