SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

The best B daylilies 2023

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last year
last modified: last year

Lets see your five favorite B daylilies and why you recommend them.

Bad joke of the day: What is Forest Gump’s email password? 1Forest1

Banshee Whisper, wish I had a better photo. This bonus plant never disappoints, great increase and matches registered height here.

Bela Lugosi was the bud queen here last season. Bud count is always in my top 5.

Oldie Buttered Popcorn gets on my list because it blooms at the base of a blue spruce in the dry shade.

Buzz Saw has been a good surprise, fast increase and good bud count.

Sherry

Comments (29)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Oh Sherry! You are killing me with these jokes.Keep them coming.......Bela is looking great for you. Unfortunately it slicked when our summer temperatures climbed much beyond 90, so it was a not go here......I like your Buzz Saw very much. I'm crazy about mine which looks just like yours in cooler temperatures (great photo btw). Here is what mine looks like however at 5PM after a day of triple digit heat. Note how white it looks. For me this is a win win daylilly. Light yellow when it's cooler outside, but when the heat arrives it goes almost true white with gold fringe (substance stays the same). Blooms/reblooms it seems like forever.

Buzz Saw:

This is Burning Inheritance. An orange daylily that should be the standard for this color and it's tolerance of high heat. Why more breeders of orange don't use it is beyond me. This is a rebloom scape, which btw, was taller then the original ones in spring:

Burning Inheritance:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Sherry, Bela Lugosi is always so pretty! Wow is Burning Inheritance bright, Maryl!

Becky Lynn is a great bloomer in general, but somehow over the past 5 years or so one half of the clump started blooming later than the other half so it has an extra long season. I don't understand how that could happen, but I love it!

Belle Isle Sentry never disappoints, always first to bloom and always blooms a lot.

Beryl Quinn is also totally reliable and a great bloomer.

Bittersweet Holiday is another totally reliable flower.

Debra's seedling Blessed Art Thou x Great White edged out Benchmark since Benchmark has off years occasionally. I just absolutely love it. It is doing so well, just needs to increase!

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Related Discussions

The Best C daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (24)
    Lots of eye catching Cs here! Love them all. I have had to think of parameters of ”best” rather than ”favorite” and that makes a difference in selections! Creature of the Night-great height, buds, and multiplies well Clown Parade-ditto on everything already said about this plant Crystal Rubies-just an eyecatching bloom with lots of buds Cheddar Cheese-was there ever a cultivar more aptly named? A standout in the garden Come Sail Away made the list due to resilience from pot to garden with good multiplication of fans. As Celeste said, it does draw your eye to it Cameroon Night was also fabulous. Cowboys Don’t Cry is one that never disappoints.
    ...See More

Best F daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (28)
    I love the form and color of Forest God. I hate to hear that about Forever and for Always, the blooms are so pretty. Last year was its 1st bloom season, did not do great but I am pretty sure it rebloomed. I like those pinks, David! Brad, that color on Fiordiligi is so nice. FOREVER REDEEMED looks nice in everyone's pictures. I talk myself out of that one because I have so many of that style. Fire In the Hole, Kay, but my favorite is firecracker Parade. Kate, Flying fox must be so impressive at that size! Fried Green Tomatoes is an impressive grower, isn't it? Mine was 3 years old this year, not sure mine has multiplied quite so well as yours. It has such a long bloom season though, it was a major bud builder this year. Nancy, I have Fiesta Latina here too, and it is a great plant. The only reason I don't post it often, my camera does not capture the color as nice as you see it in person. I agree about Fox Point too, I would have posted that one if I had a picture of it. Debra, Faith That Moves Mountains and Fighting Fire are amazing!
    ...See More

Your 5 best L daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (31)
    Late to the party, but finally here. I like that joke, Sherry, and your Late to The Party. Like Kate and most of you, I really like Laura Harwood. and also had trouble choosing one photo since she is such a showoff. Life Unlimited, another really nice one: Little Light of Mine: Always a showoff here: I am glad yours is doing well and sorry yours didn't bloom this year, Debra. Louisiana Jones: I just really like the blooms on this one: Long Legged Lap Dancer: It looks like a bitone here due to the heat I suppose: nice bloomer too. I too love Lady Dragon, Kate, but mine is too new to know how well it will do here. Mantis, I like Love 'n Loujean and Lovestruck Linda. Lavender Dew is a pretty one Brad. Debra, Lillian's Thin Ice is lovely! Nancy, Lincoln Andres is a nice one. Kate, I agree about Dragon Lady, of course, as you know. Celeste Lavender Panties is lovely Nancy, I like your Lavender Aura . David, Lunar Empire is a lovely yellow clump. A few smaller flowers are okay; Black Fathom Depths is a smaller one but a favorite nonetheless. kay
    ...See More

Your 5 best N daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (17)
    My Navajo Pony does lean. This may be partly due to location-it only gets morning sun. I think Kay ’s plant does better. You can see the scapes leaning here New Paradigm-normally would not make the cut but had more color this past season It usually looks washed out like this No Boys Allowed Hopefully Sherry won’t take my alphabet posting privileges away for posting this! Celeste and Debra both commented on this one in the Ls and I thought they would probably see it sooner on this post. So I will name this photo ”Not liking Like a Gee Six”. I found this close up when I was perusing for Ns. All blooms look like this. So it’s not the quirky form so much as the ugly blooms I don’t like!!
    ...See More
  • celeste/NH
    last year

BALI WATERCOLOR, an oldie but goodie that blooms forever, sets pods easily, increases quickly

BONIBRAE WILLIAM THE GREAT, incredible plant, loaded with buds and great branching; perfect blooms every opening

BIG HEARTED JIM, tall and great presence in the garden; hardy and reliable

BUZZER BEATER, always seems to be blooming, super pod fertile

BLOWN AWAY, once in a while these heavily ruffled-edges hang up but the blooms are breathtaking and the plant is hardy and healthy; great parent and amazing color

• shive
    last year

Sherry - That is a lovely photo of Bela Lugosi. I still grow that one, and it used to have great plant habits for me. Buttered Popcorn is also a great one that I grew for many years. A combination of grubs and too little sun caused it to finally die here. I grew Buzz Saw for many years in a pot until it finally disappeared.

Maryl - The color of Burning Inheritance is wonderful. The fact that it keeps it color in your temps is marvelous!

Brad - I always like your photos of Beryl Quinn and Bittersweet Destiny. I was surprised to see my seedling in this thread. It does look pretty in your garden!

Bubblegum Delicious is one of my favorite pinks because I love its edge and color so much. It's a wonderful multiplier and reblooms some years. It has a moderate amount of buds here - usually 12 or 13 per scape. I've had excellent results using it in hybridizing. It's never been quite the registered height here.

Believe in Angels is a dormant near white with good bud count and reliable rebloom.

Blue Swallowtail had a fantastic performance in its first year here, with the bud count exceeding its registration.

Blood of the Martyrs has a stunning flower, with good bud count and rebloom. I have a bad thrip problem here, but BOTM never shows any thrip damage.

Bill Norris is one of the best yellows ever - well-budded, multiplies well, and reblooms reliably.

Runners-up would be Boundless Beauty, Black Panther and Blazing Saddles. It's very hard keeping the first two letters to just five.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Celeste, Big Hearted Jim and Bonibrae William the Great are great, don't recall seeing Bonibrae before. Bali must like your climate or soil better than mine. While mine does increase quickly, it has a short season with not many blooms. I have a seedling I posted this year from Bali x Sugar Magnolia that I think will outdo Bali for me.

Debra, I couldn't resist your seedling though not technically a B. I did keep things to 5!

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

I agree with Debra about Bill Norris--an excellent daylily in our garden. I also like Buzzer Beater, Blue Swallowtail, Bubblegum Delicious. We also grow Buzz Saw and Bela Lugosi here.

Here are my B's.

We love Bass Gibson. We love the color, the edge, and the fact it will set seed for us.

Bob Marley is a great plant--bright bold flowers, fast increaser, lots of buds.

I know I have sung the praises of Bodacious Bite many a time, but here it goes again. I generally don't favor pastel flowers, but this one is great. It sets seeds, it produces lots of perfect flowers, it has some teeth and an eye. It's a good grower and is hardy.

Broadway Player is one of my favorite small flowers. I love the perfectly round little flowers with the darker eye. It grows well for us although the increase hasn't been amazing. We have a spotty relationship with Grace Stamile's Broadway series. Some are too tender here and don't survive, some survive but don't thrive. This is one of the good ones for our climate.

Buddy's Betsy has earned a permanent place in our collection. This plant arrived as a bonus plant, but it's a keeper. It is one of the first large flowered daylilies to bloom every year, along with Lava Flow at about the same time. It's a color Bob and I like. It sets seeds and has given us some pretty offspring--maybe even some intros in the future. It's a good grower and hardy here. Some of the Buddy's series haven't been hardy--they were bred in Florida.

That's my five.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

David, I love Beauty in Motion and Black Falcon Ritual. Both have great color.

Brad

• lilykate7a
    last year

Note to self this season: do a better job of organizing pictures!

Here are some of my Bs

Butterfly Moon. Always puts on a big sprawling display

Bullfrog Kisses-rebloomed 4 times two years ago-rested on rebloom last year but came back strong this year. Every bloom is perfect

This is my Big Hearted Jim-amazingly looks darker than Celeste’s!!! It multiplies very well and has a good bud count.

Blackberry Dragon is another black/purple. Love the blooms and color but was slow to recover from a “sharing dig” last year

If I could find Boundless Beauty photos I would post it. Perfect blooms and gave me a great rebloom season.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • mantis__oh
    last year

I look forward to seeing Big Hearted Jim this year, if the weather extremes allow for a decent season. I am wondering already how the severe cold (and now premature spring) will affect plants this summer.

Yes, of course, Bob Marley, and it certainly is vigorous. Bass Gibson didn't have its best year, but yes, even if it is a bit short and may sometimes not open perfectly. Believe in Angels looks interesting--progeny of Great White.

Beryl Quinn is a lovely shade.

Now to choose five.

Who can resist a Bachelor Party? (Don't answer that.) Nice display this year.

Black Panther deserves more than a mention. Great background plant with sturdy stems.

Blushing Escapade I have pictured before, but it deserves wider distribution.

Butter Cream had better bud count than last year. Interesting form and texture, as well as color.

Boundless Beauty deserves more than a mention, even if every flower is not perfect.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • organic_kitten
    last year

I have to post Bold Awakening: I just love the intense color of the eye and the color contrast

Breathing In Snowflakes It has been a really good bloomer in my garden and I like its delicacy.

Bullfrog Kisses: I just like it. Like Lilykate, I look for its blooms each year

Blue Dolphin The color is so nice and it did rebloom for me.

Black Fathom Depths another "energizer bunny" bloomer.

And yes, I do have a lot of purple in my garden It is a color I have always liked and there are many purple beauties. sherry, Bella Lugosi looks great in your garden and I still grow it too. Maryl, Burning Inheritance. is a heart stopper for me as I love intense oranges. Brad, I can see why Debra's seedling Blessed Art Thou x Great White made the cut for you. .Nancy, I am glad you posted Bob Marley since it a favorite but I couldn't find a photo of it that I liked. David, your
    Beauty In Motion is much deeper pink than mine but I love it too. Such a huge flat bloom! Celeste, I like your Blown Away. Debra, can't decide between Blue Swallowtail and Blood of the Martyrs as I like both of them. Kate, you know I like Blackberry Dragon and that photo is dynamite. Mantis, I like your Blushing Escapade and also I am glad you posted Black Panther. Aren't there a lot of pretty "B"s?

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • lilykate7a
    last year

Kay, Blue Dolphin looks exactly like I hoped it would! I think I need to move mine-it is not flourishing in its current spot. I am glad yours is doing well.

Mantis, you are correct about Blushing Escapade. Here is mine on rebloom with all others around it done and stressed with drought and heat. How did I forget this one??

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Kate, I really like Big Hearted Jim and Blackberry Dragon.

Mantis, Bachelor Partry, Blushing Escapade and Boundless Beauty really catch my attention!

Kay, Bold Awakening and Blue Dolphin are my favorites of yours.

Brad

• shive
    last year

Mantis - Black Panther does have wonderful plant habits and it multiplied rapidly here (I sold divisions at least three times). However, in a large clump, its color gave me evil vibes, and I moved it out last fall. I much prefer the color of my dark purple UF seedling and needed more space to plant divisions of it. I'm glad you posted a photo of Boundless Beauty since it is such a great plant. Mine is in too much shade now to have many buds or rebloom. I wish I could find a sunnier spot for it. Bachelor Party is a pretty one!

Mantis and Kate - I'm attracted to Blushing Escapade and am thinking of adding it as a breeding plant. Does it really grow 43 inches tall for you two? I like the flower size on tall scapes like that to be at least 6 inches.

Kay - Bold Awakening and Blue Dolphin are eye catching!

Celeste - Bali Watercolor is a great one. I still grow that one, although it doesn't perform as well in recent years as it once did.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    last year

Kate, I am so sorry that your Blue Dolphin is not doing well. Mine is in one of my better spots which gets plenty of sun but late day shade. It is bad that you sent it to me and yours is not doing as well. It did take until this year to do much.

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Blushing Escapade is a large flower. Hasn't been 43 inches here, but a good three feet. A bit shorter than Boss Lady here. You may be right that tall blackish flowers look out of place. The old arrangement rule is that lighter colors go towards the top.

Here is one that is definitely shorter, but so reliable. Belle Cook

• celeste/NH
    last year

So many beautiful 'B's! Kate, you're right....your Big Hearted Jim is darker than mine! It's usually almost black here....yours looks like mine is supposed to look. We had a severe drought all of 2022 and record heat and my purples were not the deep shade they normally are. I am hoping for a normal year!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • shive
    last year

Mantis - Thanks for your reply about Blushing Escapade. The flower is registered as 5.5 inches. Do you think it blooms larger for you than that? Belle Cook is a pretty thing. Having lost it two times in a pot without ever seeing it bloom, I've given up on that one. I'm looking for pinks to hybridize with that have at least a 6 inch flower (bigger is better) and a scape ranging from 28-32 inches with at least 20 buds. I tend not to like daylilies with scapes taller than 36 inches - unless they are UFs with extra large flowers.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

From my memory, Blushing Escapade is around 6 inches. Since segments sometimes recurve a bit, measurement may be more difficult. You know that I generally don't prefer smaller flowers. Here is a pic with Boss Lady (7 inches), in which all segments of BE are recurved. But that is not typical (no other picture has that). I don't know what the rules are when the flower's size varies. (Boss Lady is slightly taller in my garden, so its blooms appear larger from the camera angle as well.)

• lilykate7a
    last year

Debra, I agree with Mantis. Blushing Escapade does not reach 43 inches. Three feet is probably closer. My reblooms were pale in the late season drought. Here it is on first bloom.

I have a good clump of it-glad to share if you want to try it. (That is, my clump was large last summer! We will see what long deep freeze did to it!)

• shive
    last year

Kate - I would love to have a start of Blushing Escapade, if your clump makes it through the winter without losses. I love your photo of Butterfly Moon. I have that one and hope it will bloom next year.

Debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

Sherry always good to see Buzz Saw opens well for you. Bela Lugosi had washed out color in the heat this year and has gotten shaded out too much. A move is in its future. Well I adore every single one shown.

Big Bird on its first year. I love it for the size of the bloom and the clear yellow. Rotten deer ate the buds after this pic.

Black Arrowhead wowed me with how quickly it established and I am fond of the shape and coloration. It bloomed over a very long period especially considering its young age.

Blue Sheen has a long bloom period. This year was not as good as last but it was extremely hot and dry. I am on a well and do not water.

Yes it has its faults, blooms are too low in the foliage and they are smallish blooms but Buffy's Doll is prolific and I really like the coloration.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • shive
    last year

Peren - Good to see you posting! Latecomers are welcome. Nice group of B's!

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Laurie, glad you posted today! I believe Brad grows Big Bird and really likes it.

Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

Thank you Debra & Sherry! I have little to contribute but the eye candy here is beyond fabulous.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • celeste/NH
    last year

I already contributed but when scrolling through photos for the 'D's I came upon Buttered Popcorn and should have added it. Even though an oldie and overlooked because of that, it is a great plant year after year. This was during our severe drought 2022 and this plant got no water all summer.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • Nancy 6b
    last year

Back Scratcher has been a good one for me

Bali Watercolor did not do very well til I moved it about a year ago.

Black Fathom depths is a smaller flower, but does amazing

Not a great picture of Black Panther

Blue Throated Hummingbird

Blue Voodoo

Border Crossing

Boss Lady is one of the few Davisson daylilies that has been slow to do anything, but improved a lot last year

Bubblegum Twist has done really well. Lots of flowers that look similar to it, but it multiplies nicely, has good bud count, and has rebloomed each year I have had it

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Boss Lady has grown well here, but parent Webster's Pink Wonder was a no-go.

• shive
    last year

Nancy - Good to see your B's! Back Scratcher looks good in your garden! Mine was repeatedly attacked by grubs, and is just starting to recover. It used to bloom and rebloom so well. Bali Watercolor is another one that just doesn't do as well in my garden as it once did. I think that's because it needs to be divided. Black Fathom Depths looks like it really loves your garden.

Debra