SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup2

Are you a football fan?

sushipup2
last year

I used to be, but one incident after another has cooled me off completely. and it's not always the brutality of the sport itself. More often, it's management issues like calling off a game, or the CTE "race norming ", or letting players off with little or no consequences when they are caught in criminal or anti-social or self-destructive behavior.

How about you?

Comments (168)

• foodonastump
    last year

"Did we win?"

This was reportedly the first question from Damar as he regained consciousness. To me this is symbolic of what matters to him, and his love for the sport. People take risks for what they love, some more than others.

I believe it's only been twenty years or so since CTE was linked to football, but football was always a dangerous sport. 40 years ago I grew up with kids who weren't allowed to play. If we're going to judge parents for letting their kids play, I wonder if I'll be judged for taking my kids snowboarding? After all, dozens die each year on the slopes of North America, and beyond that there are countless serious injuries. Doctors want to replace my shoulder due to repeated snowboarding injuries that affect my daily life, but yet I still go. Bicycling takes a far greater toll: 1000 deaths and 130,000 injuries a year. Should we keep our kids off bikes? I don't believe we have all the answers on whether running leads to joint degeneration, yet I look forward to my daughter running track.

To answer the question in the subject line, I'm a new fan of football. New as in just this season. My kid is a freshman in a D1 school and it's been fun to watch and root for. College sports bring attention and money to schools and offer some kids opportunities. For example my neighbor got a full ride playing D1 football and is now a veterinarian. Anyway, we quickly started watching more college ball, and then NFL. A lot of football on our TV these days. Yes, I was watching the Bills game. As Nini stated above, the game has become a lot more interesting as I've been learning about it; not just a bunch of Neanderthals running around. Just like I learned to appreciate basketball when my daughter started playing; before that I thought of it as just people running back and forth alternating hoops to put the ball through. Anyone who speaks of NASCAR as just cars going around the oval obviously doesn't have an appreciation for the strategies. I don't follow NASCAR anymore but when I did it was very exciting, and not because of the crashes. In answer to Elmer's question, I wouldn't have been too supportive of my own kid playing football, but that would be our choice.

As for the GoFundMe, of course any cause that gets national or celebrity attention is likely to get a lot of support. I hope that the money will be put to good use. The site is now crashing on me, but last I looked the funds went from being used for toys to being used "to support Damar and his community" or something more vague like that. What also struck me at the time were the amount of small donations. $5 was the most common that I saw. Pages and pages of them. People like to show support when they're moved; It's human nature. Watching the events unfold, live, was an emotional experience. I can't be cynical about people reacting to that. Showcase a cancer kid on the morning news and the donations are going to come rolling in. Is it fair that the kid gets all this help while countless others in the same situation don't? I guess the choice whether to be happy for the kid or cynical, is ours to make.

Sorry for the long post but now I don't have time to go back and trim it!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

" I thought this was just Home Decorating Conversations. Why KT? "

I understand how a thread about watching football ended up in The Kitchen Table discussions, but why was it posted in Home Decorating Conversations? Weird to me.....I guess as weird to you as it being in KT.

sushipup2 thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Related Discussions

Football Bison @ the home of Larry Bird now!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Well...we won!!! Still undefeated & #1 in NCAA FCS Football! It wasn't on ANY kind of network tho dammit!!! Only if your cable provider carried ESPN3.COM feeds, could you see it.....arrrrgghh! And of course, our Fargo-area Cable-One didn't carry it. Soooooo, had to resort to listening to it on the ever-exciting am radio.... I was just curious if there was any Indiana-State fans out there!??!?! Faron
    ...See More

Are you an OSU football fan?

Q

Comments (3)
    Joann, the coach and some players, the QB being one, have a five game suspension for selling memoribilia and Tressel knowing about it. Now there are some allegations of players and family members getting deals on cars from a local dealership and that the coaching staff was aware of the deals. A big no-no according to NCAA rules.
    ...See More

What's for dinner Saturday?

Q

Comments (9)
    DS went home today. I thought he'd stay until tomorrow but wanted to get home before the Steeler game. I was planning on spaghetti tonight but sent him home with a bag of sauce instead. I washed some windows and did some cleaning up around here as it gets a little messy when he comes and I have bridge here on Monday. DH will probably have a turkey sandwich because that's what he loves. I will have the full turkey dinner....what's left of it because I sent that home with DS, too.
    ...See More

College Football fans. FCS Playoffs set!!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    TJ- Oh yes!! Going to Frisco if they make it!! If so, it'll be our 4th consecutive year of attending the Championship game. Wild stuff! Many Bison faithful have already bought tickets, booked flights, etc. I wouldn't dare pull the trigger THIS early! * The winner of San-Diego & Cal-Poly this Sat comes to the Fargodome on Sat Dec 3rd. * The winner of Villanova & St. Francis (PA) this Sat, goes to our rival SDSU (in Brookings, SD...an outdoor stadium!) Sat Dec 3rd. * Our loooooonnnggtime in-state rival (100+ yrs), UND (dome stadium), made it to the FCS-Playoffs this year! There's a TINY chance that we could meet them in Frisco!!! An all-ND FCS Championship?! THAT would be wild!!! Frisco, TX couldn't HANDLE all the craziness!!! * Regardless...on Dec 3rd, since UND will host its game, AND SDSU hosting...AND my Bison hosting.....THREE FCS playoff games will be rocking on Northern I-29!! NCAA/FCS bracket here if you'd like: 2016 FCS Bracket Faron
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    last year

Toronto, the two groups are similar, where people gather to talk about off topic topics- Home Decorating Conversations is not only about Home Decorating. Many of us have people we like and respect in both groups, and some topics lend themselves to being shared in both.

sushipup2 thanked lucillle
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

Whoa! I am not the member who was criticizing Hamlin's foundation - check my replies.

I was commenting on those who did sit in judgement of it, of him, and of each other, along with some who continue to use ad hominem in their frequent arguments.

I'm well aware that I know nobody here IRL, and try not to attribute characteristics to people I've never met personally - other than what I've observed via their conversations here. I am not offended or chagrined by disagreement, but I've observed that some people seem to be.

I'm not a sports fan, but I recognize its place in our society/culture. Sports bring a lot of joy to many people in various ways. I also recognize that commerce, as with so many areas of our culture, can create serious problems.

P.S. Maybe it's a boomer thing, but that Laugh-In tagline was once what is now known as a viral sensation, and lots of people back then used it the way I did here.

sushipup2 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nickel_kg
    last year

carolb, I didn't even have to click on your clip to start laughing! I dig how you used it, to use another old expression :-)

sushipup2 thanked nickel_kg
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Maybe 'sock it to me' is more appropriate for this thread?

sushipup2 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • User
    last year

Home Decorating Conversations

This is the off-topic conversations forum for members of Home Decorating.

Kitchen Table

This is a place where you can chat about topics not covered by the other forums. Like, why is one leg of the table always shorter than the other three?

I think the topic fits both.

sushipup2 thanked User
  • User
    last year

Dark, lonejack, very dark.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" and lots of people back then used it the way I did here. "

No, I don't think so. I described above the misuse and misunderstanding of these words in an earlier comment.

Along with those proclaiming "A pox on you", encountering this incorrect use of the words judge and judgement have been quite limited in my experiences. Then and now. Likely for others too. Reread Toronto Vet's comments above, they were spot on and quite clear.

sushipup2 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Thanks, lucille; it was a group I'd never heard of

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

" P.S. Maybe it's a boomer thing, but that Laugh-In tagline was once what is now known as a viral sensation, and lots of people back then used it the way I did here. "

That would be weird, because it was a comedy tag line from a stand-up comedy routine that was kind of like a comedic version of Judge Judy (not that that show isn't comedy enough).

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Pretty sure that back then, not very many suburban white people were aware that Sammy Davis Jr. was channeling another black entertainer. I was in elementary school, and things here were quite segregated. I didn't learn who Pigmeat Markham was until I was an adult.

BTW, another line often repeated was 'you bet your sweet bippy' 😃

Language evolves. Many words in use today have different meanings than they originally did, however there is not much new about the use of the terms 'judge' or 'judgemental', only more emphasis on rejecting rigid attitudes.

Maybe this'll help:

judge |jəj|

verb [ with obj. ]

form an opinion or conclusion about: scientists were judged according to competence | [ with clause ] : it is hard to judge whether such opposition is justified | [ no obj. ] : judging from his letters home, Monty was in good spirits.

judgment |ˈjəjmənt| (also judgement)

noun

1 the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions: an error of judgment | that is not, in my judgment, the end of the matter.

• an opinion or conclusion: they make subjective judgments about children's skills.

• a decision of a court or judge: the Supreme Court upheld the judgment of the Alberta Court of Appeal.

2 a misfortune or calamity viewed as a divine punishment: the crash had been a judgment on the parents for wickedness.

PHRASES

against one's better judgment

contrary to what one believes to be wise or sensible.

pass judgment

(of a court or judge) give a decision concerning a defendant or legal matter: he passed judgment on the accused.

• criticize or condemn someone from a position of assumed moral superiority.

reserve judgment

delay the process of judging or giving one's opinion.

sit in judgment

assume the right to judge someone, especially in a critical manner.

And again - I haven't posted a single negative comment about Hamlin, his charity, or those who donated to it - was I mistaken for someone else?

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

You've gotten good cutting and pasting practice but you missed finding a passage that covers your misuse of the words.

• phoggie
    last year

I am not commenting one way or another about his charity, but it was truly an inspiration to see so many expressing prayers for his behalf. I hope each of them remember to thank God for their answered prayers!

sushipup2 thanked phoggie
  • Bunny
    last year

I believe that giving thanks is the best form of prayer.

sushipup2 thanked Bunny
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

When I played football, when someone was injured and play stopped, the coach would yell out to us on the field "Take a knee". Standing around when waiting can be misconstrued as impatience or a lack of respect for the injured player being attended to. Taking a knee is more respectful. It didn't involve anything religious or spiritual.

Similarly, the photo of those kneeling and in a circle may have simply followed the coach talking to the group gathered around and then asking them to kneel, bow their heads, and wish the injured person well. Or it could have been something else.

I think when people who have concern and wish for better days and recovery from problems for others who have a problem, it's done more often in a secular way than otherwise. Many don't have religious beliefs. And as a result, don't practice spiritual prayer

• OllieJane
    last year

Many of us watching, prayed right along with Josh Allen-the Bills coach who gathered his team to pray. I'm sure many, many watching did also. I am so happy to hear Damar Hamlin is doing better!

sushipup2 thanked OllieJane
  • Ninapearl
    last year

Similarly, the photo of those kneeling and in a circle may have simply followed the coach talking to the group gathered around and then asking them to kneel, bow their heads, and wish the injured person well. Or it could have been something else.

while i'm sure many prayers were being said, there were several reports that the team encircled the downed player to shield what the paramedics were doing (cpr) from the eyes of the spectators.

i'm happy to see that he is making such a remarkable recovery!

sushipup2 thanked Ninapearl
  • foodonastump
    last year

"I think when people who have concern and wish for better days and recovery from problems for others who have a problem, it's done more often in a secular way than otherwise."

Well of course. You have to have thoughts before you can have prayers; Prayers are an additional conscious step. If you think of a Venn Diagram, prayer would be a subset of thought. If either thoughts or prayers or both work, prayer covers all bases.

Anyway, unless there's a secular reason to paint eye black in the shape of a cross, I'd guess Damar appreciates prayer at least as much as good wishes.

Let's be honest, a big part of this is about doing what makes you feel good about yourself, so I suggest just do or don't do whatever you want and don't worry about what others do in this regard.

sushipup2 thanked foodonastump
  • HU-929826674
    last year

Isn't it time to shut down this "conversation"? No one is changing their mind, their opinion, and it is just pointless.

Can you imagine the hurt, the heartbreak, Hamlin and his family would feel if they saw this thread?

sushipup2 thanked HU-929826674
  • lucillle
    last year

I don't think we should censor simply because there are divergent points of view. Somehow, I don't think Hamlin would want to silence those who see things differently, either.

• gsciencechick
    last year

If Damar Hamlin cannot play football again—way too early to even speculate short and long term, this charity will become his life’s work. It’s very encouraging, seeing him on social media and now watching the game from his hospital bed with his family. The opening kickoff for a TD—can’t get any more magical!

sushipup2 thanked gsciencechick
  • sephia_wa
    last year

Isn't it time to shut down this "conversation"?

Why? You're done so others need to be too? People are still returning and commenting so it's apparently not time. Just skip on by if you're done with it.

sushipup2 thanked sephia_wa
  • Bunny
    last year

HU#, there are so many other threads you could be reading that you might not find "pointless." Finding one sounds like a fun Sunday project.

sushipup2 thanked Bunny
  • nickel_kg
    last year

In the unlikely event they'd read it, I think Mr Hamlin's family might be as perplexed by this thread as I am! "... and that's the truth, phhhhhbbbt!"

(Best wishes for the young man's recovery)

sushipup2 thanked nickel_kg
  • User
    last year

Agreed, nickel. I can imagine their thoughts when reading that someone described their 24 year old son, who just suffered sudden cardiac arrest, as “the dude with a heart attack.”

☹️

sushipup2 thanked User
  • sephia_wa
    last year

I just noticed Elmer's comment - "There are many sports teams with women owners."

Bingo. The Seahawks and the Portland Trailblazers are owned by Jody Allen.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Some of the others can maybe help. What is the other username/identity of the person who appears here as HU-929826674?

• sephia_wa
    last year

^^^ Probably someone with two accounts. So they can flag more posts.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Don't rule out the glitchiness of Houzz and the fact that some folks have had trouble getting into their old accounts, and had to create new ones.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

I believe I also read about at least one poster for whom Houzz strangely removed her handle and gave her a digital "name" instead, and she couldn't get her old name back.

• maddielee
    last year

If there is a glitch, the poster would know before submitting their comment.

Why not sign their post including their usual gardenweb name?

sushipup2 thanked maddielee
  • artemis_ma
    last year

Simple answer to the OP;s question: No. Never have been, either. I'd rather watch grass grow. Now if I were personally acquainted with a person playing the game - that might differ.

sushipup2 thanked artemis_ma
  • althea_gw
    last year

Vikings won today 29 - 14, (or something like that)!

sushipup2 thanked althea_gw
  • Bunny
    last year

Niners are 13-4 with our brilliant third-string rookie QB.

sushipup2 thanked Bunny
  • sephia_wa
    last year

And the Seahawks won in OT against the Rams. We're all watching Lions vs. Packers game tonight and if the Lions win, we're going to the playoffs! 🏈

• bpath
    last year

The Bears probably get the first-round draft pick. Sigh.

sushipup2 thanked bpath
  • gsciencechick
    last year

Yes, Chicago gets the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

sushipup2 thanked gsciencechick
  • dedtired
    last year

Eagles won the NFC East title. Phew.

sushipup2 thanked dedtired
  • texanjana
    last year

Jody Allen is the sister of Paul Allen, cofounder of Microsoft. She became executor of his estate and assumed ownership of those teams upon his death, so not exactly the same as owning a team outright by a woman.

sushipup2 thanked texanjana
  • sephia_wa
    last year

^^ oh my, such a pesky detail. I live in Seattle so I kinda know who she is 🙄

She's been on the board of the Seahawks for years. Indeed she assumed ownership of the team when Paul Allen died in 2018. She still needs to know something about running a business for the team to be successful and profitable. Read her bio. She's a pretty successful businesswoman.

She's a woman who owns two sports teams.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Curious about what percentage of big league teams are owned by women?

Need to go look that up now...

• jsk
    last year

The Giants are in the playoffs for the first time in a very long time. Note, I do not expect them to go very far, but it's hopefully a step in the right direction.

The Dolphins are also in the playoffs for the first time in forever. I don't expect them to even win a single game (especially if Tua cannot play), but again, a step in the right direction.

As an aside, I think Tua needs to retire. He's going to have serious health issues and it's just not worth it IMO.

sushipup2 thanked jsk
  • AbbyJoy
    last year

Go Dawgs! 38-7 at halftime for national championship.

sushipup2 thanked AbbyJoy
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

No, I generally do not enjoy watching sports. Oddly I do enjoy playing some sports, though not football in particular. I played some sports in high school and was very competitive, but too prone to injury. I think I loved the physicality of it and the challenge, but don't have a deep love of any sports that would drive me to watch.

My husband started watching football after a few months of military training in Texas (and hadn't ever before that). I assume it's something in the water. I dislike the sounds (whistles, yelling, grunting) when it's background noise on the main TV in the house and I'm doing other things. I have gone to a few local college football games and when I was a kid I went to some local NBA games and I find it more enjoyable in person. I certainly can understand why people enjoy watching sports, but it's not for me.

I am sad to hear about the football player who experienced cardiac arrest during the game. I hope he's able to heal back to full capability without any lingering effects. Unfortunately many sports carry risk of serious injury or possible death. And as someone who was a student athlete, I know first hand that serious injury can occur when you are pushing yourself as hard as you can. Sometimes the body just cannot withstand the forces or you happen to be unlucky and something happens. I think I had a little of both going on when I kept getting injured, and none of the sports I was playing were intended to be full contact. (Though several of the injuries occurred from physical contact - some intentional and some unintentional.) We all make our choices in life in terms of what we do for living and what we do for fun.

sushipup2 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Faron79
    last year

Uffda!!! My Vikings play the Giants in Minneapolis this Sunday @ 3:30 CST. I HOPE they don't have to turn it into another frantic "come-from-behind" mess again!! 🤪🏈🤓🥳

At least Aaron & the pack stay home this year......😈😈😈

SKOL!!!!

Your Houzz Bookmarks · More Info

sushipup2 thanked Faron79
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Our KC Chiefs get to loll about and rest this weekend with their bye!! Diehard Chiefs fan and also a fan of whatever team is playing against Tom Brady! LOL

sushipup2 thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Garden pictures · More Info

Garden pictures · More Info

sushipup2 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • katlan
    last year

We are a football family. Steelers forever. So sorry they didn't make the playoffs. they had a terrible start and lots of injuries but came back strong. Hopefully better next .

Who to root for now? Whoever is playing against the Ravens lol

Good luck to the teams still in it We'll be watching!

sushipup2 thanked katlan
  • porkandham
    last year

Go Dawgs!

sushipup2 thanked porkandham
Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor