SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_347472673

Design suggestions for home office!

Jona
last year

Hi everyone, I just bought my first house, and I'm setting up my home office and looking for suggestions. I have basically zero design experience and I really don't know where to start so I'm very much in need of inspiration. I've got my desk and bookshelf set up, which are my two essentials, but the room feels a bit empty and cavernous, so now I'm looking to flesh things out and make it a bit cozier, especially now that winter is here. I'd appreciate any inspiration or ideas you can share!

Here are the components I'm thinking about and looking for input on:

- I want to repaint the walls a more interesting color. I like bold colors - reds, purples, blues, teals; so I'm not looking for tan or eggshell or something neutral/bland. I want it to have brightness and pep and personality, and make me excited and energized each morning when I come in. At the same time, this is my office, so I don't want it to look garish. I'm having trouble picturing what colors will look like on a wall-sized scale, and thus even what types of colors I should get paint samples of. So I'd love suggestions of colors that will look bright and cheery, but still coordinate with the wood of the floors, desk, and bookcase and not look over the top.

- I'm looking for an area rug to go under the desk/chair area. I'm also having trouble figuring out a color palette/pattern for a rug that would go with my new wall color - I'm hoping to choose the paint and the rug jointly so they match. (I have an office chair with wheels, so the rug needs to be low-pile and at least semi-durable to hold up to my chair wheeling around.)

- I'll probably get a small filing cabinet (haven't found/looked for one yet, so I'm open to suggestions there too), but I don't want to fill up the room with unnecessary furniture (chairs, loveseat, etc.) just for the sake of filling the room - if I'm working from home and want to sit on a comfy chair or couch, I can just go into the living room.

- Any other general suggestions for adding warmth and body in the room - plants, curtains, lamps, etc. - and how to arrange them?

- Feel free to ignore the curtains shown in the picture - I put those up to block the very bright sunlight coming in so the picture wouldn't be super washed out.

Thank you!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA