SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruce_in_sweden

Spruce with mutant cones

I am doing my PhD research on P. abies female cone production and we are using P. abies 'Acrocona' as a sort of "model plant" due to it producing cones and cone-like structures yearly. We have been looking into widening the scope of our research into other spruce varieties with mutant cones. We already have access to P. abies 'Pusch' (which is an Acrocona derivative) and P. pungens 'Hermann Naue'. I have identified a couple other interesting spruce varieties: P. pungens 'Early Cones' and P. pungens 'Ruby Teardrops' but I can't find anywhere to buy them in Europe and the places that might have them have not responded to my emails yet.

Does anyone know where I could get these trees in Europe? Or know of any other spruce or conifer that has strange/mutant cones? For example producing them too early, too often, or in the wrong location or even male-female or vegetative-female shoots?

Below is an example of an Acrocona shoot. They produce vegetative-female shoots on apical meristems. Wild type spruce produces cones on lateral meristems and apical meristems are vegetative. Shoots are either entirely vegetative or female, not these half vegetative-half female shoots.

Thanks!

Comments (6)