SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robijackson03

Backsplash suggestions

Robi J
last year

We are finally making headway with my brothers house and would love your help with picking put a backsplash. The island is painted Benjamin gray, walls Alabaster, gold hardware, stainless steel appliances and the floors are light. The lights over the island are huge clear glass. He’s been telling me he needs color… okay now he’s scared. Here are a few of the samples I brought to him. Please help me get him ready to move back home!

Comments (370)

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I’m stuck again. I’m asking for help in picking out the back porch floor cover. Should we go light or dark? The sun is hot in the afternoon, if that matters. If you were too paint an emblem or something, what would it be? He keeps leaning towards a Palmetto tree and I’m not digging it. Think about it. If the tree is facing the pool, it will be upside down when walking in from the pool. The entire house, except for stone, is painted SW Agreeable Gray. 🤔.

What do you think of this photo for the master bath?

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I forgot the ceiling will be repainted SW Haint blue. The painters accidentally painted over it.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash Suggestions please...

Q

Comments (0)
    We are building a new home and would need some guidance on backsplash. Counter top will be White countertop with with cabinets, Rye color shelves and Sage color island. Can you please advise if our current selection looks good or would you recommend anything else? We will have gold hardware and gold faucets. Thank you
    ...See More

Floor Tile and Backsplash Suggestions for Kitchen Update

Q

Comments (5)
    I love your soapstone!! For the floor, have you considered a wood-look floor tile? It would allow you to keep the same look even if you are changing materials. For the backsplash, I understand you wanting off white, but I dont think thats your best option here. Personally, I’d want to borrow light from the rest of the room and bring it into your space. You might have better luck choosing a very pale green with a light reflective gloss glaze. This is Spanish Merola tile that, interestingly, you can get at Home Depot. This is Heath Ceramics G11.2 Pisces Green
    ...See More

Backsplash suggestion

Q

Comments (2)
    You kitchen sounds like my brothers kitchen except we did the island in Benjamin Grey. I asked the same question and received some really great suggestions. I don’t know how to link my post but it’s under BackSplash Suggestions. The first half is all about the backsplash. Good luck!
    ...See More

Kitchen Cabinet/Backsplash Suggestions

Q

Comments (9)
    i would leave things. the wood with the dark granite is classic altho its older. the shutters are nice. people see through the old finish....they will evaluate things on function/layout/etc For you to start working on the older cabs isnt worth it. people do their own thing .....reface/ strip and restain/ paint/ gut the kitchen...you cant possibly know.... I'd look for an upgrade to the dishwasher and probably get a somewhat stylish light fixture over the table [eliminate the fan] make sure the shelves inside the cabinets are not degrading or damaged from moisture and so on. Good Luck/ dont spend much on it. people are liking wood in the kitchen now and the right person can do something with those but the right person for the home alternatively, may do something entirely different to the kitchen.
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    11 months ago

The bathroom picture is okay but I think more color would work better. What accessories are you getting - towels, rug, etc.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

RedRyder I found that picture at Ballard For a great price. It doesn’t have to go in there I was just trying to finish one room without the light. What art Type of art would you suggest? Accessories LOL I can’t answer that. He’s a man has dirty hands. I hope I put enough in his head about being a war rapper. Please send suggestions of art.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Anything on the floor of the porch color?

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

I like the options on Fine Art America’s website. Just got something for our master bath. I figured around 16” wide at the minimum- not sure of the tub and wall size.

Some ideas:
    Japanese woodblock prints.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Different. I like the clay pots a lot.
    Or the heron.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks, I’ll check that website out. I have that heron picture but it’s too small. The tub is 71 inches Wide, I think. Today was not going to be a day of working at his house. So I proved myself wrong. Pulled the furniture off the dock and put it on the back porch. I’m tired. What can I do different here?

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Maybe a series of pictures that work together? You’re right - one framed picture will get lost.

• mardsz
    11 months ago

For the patio floor, I think going light may be best. For the bathroom, I would keep it tranquil, with art something like this:

https://www.zgallerie.com/p-sea-gaze-630607271?lref=c:307

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

Hi Robi
    I don’t always get your notifications !! Trying to catch up…the cabinet looks beautiful in the entry! I love that art you have for the bathroom..so calm looks beautiful..I think it is a keeper🤗…so you need rugs 3 entry..dining room and family room? What sizes? I have a few if my favs saved.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

You need to go into each room and tell us what sizes you need.

I had a thought about the rugs. It could be lovely to buy only deep red Persians in every room. You already have a beautiful one. Years ago, a friend’s mom used only dark red Persians throughout her historic house. Most of the decor was soft, neutral colors. The rugs gave depth to her design plan, they all looked good together, and it warmed up the house.

What do you think?

• PRO
    Kaitlin Wagner
    11 months ago

The one on the right

• ptreckel
    11 months ago

A suggestion for your back porch floor…if you are still interested in having something “painted” or installed there. What about a compass? It could be rendered in stone or painted on the surface and sealed. And it should be directionally accurate, of course. That can be calibrated. Center it on the doors and stairs to the patio. A light surface for the porch floor, picking up the cream from the beautiful patio stones. It can be read from all angles so won’t be up side down! Just a thought….

• PRO
    Kaitlin Wagner
    11 months ago

I can sell you some furniture

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Good morning! I’m sorry for not getting the sizes of the rugs. Here are the approximate sizes. - LR 8x10, DR 9x12 and the foyer is 5x7. I can’t wait to see the wonderful suggestions!

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ptreckel, I had the same thought. I tried to convince him of the compass instead of trees but really don’t think he needs it with a rug.

I’ll send colors of the floor colors in hopes of everyone helping me pick out the right color.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

I think a casual plaid in dining room..would allow for you to choose two larger print rugs for entry and family room under the sectional.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

What is the budget? It will help narrow it down for sure

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Geometric patterns can be interesting with a neutral house.

8x10 and 5x8 and 9x12

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Some others I found in 9x12 (or smaller)

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Another 5x8

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

So many choices and styles, Lord help me!! As for budget, knowing me, I’m always looking for a great deal and then if I like it, really like it then it goes in the cart. Sorry, That wasn’t very helpful. He keeps saying “badas$” does badas$ break the bank. Julie, i would love the floral rug but it’s a bit much. I have a tendency to like the lighter colors but know that he needs color. I’m afraid, if we don’t put color (not saying bold) he will want to paint these walls dark to show color. Large geo pattern isn’t me but you can try to help me step out of my comfort zone. Flowers and subtle flowing motion/moment are me but this is a man’s house.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

Robi I think going bold under that big sectional will look fabulous…we need to keep it a bit more masculine for sure…what are your thoughts on a plaid rug under the dining room table I think it would be a nice transition into the entry.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Julie, I think of buffalo check when I think of plaid. I know that isn’t what
    You are thinking but yes, I went there. You and RedRyder need to hold my hand and lead the way!!

• RedRyder
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I have the same taste as you, but I don’t think a “man’s house” wants flowers. Hence, my leaning towards geometric. I added some colorful ones, since I think you do need SOME color.

Tell him he’s not allowed to paint anything!

Plaid rugs can be very nice. Think Ralph Lauren. He used plaids beautifully.

Does his “bada$$ comment mean we can buy rugs with comma’s in the prices? I avoided those but could happily research higher priced ones.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Here are “Ralph” type looks.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

More

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

More like this…for dining room

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

🤗

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

I searched “masculine rugs” on Pinterest. Here’s what popped up.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

And this..

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

And this.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ladies, I am not ignoring your suggestions. We are vacationing in the Keys and was told no thinking of brothers house. Say what?? I’m sneaking and can see the rugs. Will have more time tomorrow while he plays. Thank you so much!

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Your poor family! I'm sure they're sick of your stress over your brother's house. Enjoy the Keys! Hard not to....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

Enjoy!

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

We’ve been gone over a week and finally in the car heading home. I miss my fur babies so much. Key West isn’t quite the same. The beaches have man made rocks that puncture your feet, beaches that stink unbearable and they said it is because they are using an ego system to help fix their shores. Ok, great fix the smell! What are your thoughts on this desk? He has a very nice desk but way too big. I’m mainly getting this for a temporary use. By listening, I’m sure his house will go up for sale in October after the probate. The beaches are pretty with a-lot of stink!

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

The desk color looks dark. Does it come in another wood? I like the console a lot.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I’m sorry, I should have said, I ordered the above picture under the tree picture in an XL canvas print. I thought it would make a great house warming gift and help him from missing us. Should it go in the DR or his office?? I seriously did! All for laughs at his welcoming home party.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you RedRyder, I now see the darkness is not working. I love the console too and can’t return it. I will keep looking for something lighter.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

How about this one?

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

The console that is in the room is not as dark as it appears. Here is a screenshot from the store next to my picture. Big difference. Am I getting closer?

• Y
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

FWIW I actually love the look of the bathroom, a clean white look but with a lot of off-white variation and almost a mother-of-pearl effect almost opalescent look, it's very beautiful and I personally think the painting matches that great. A contrasting color or a pop of color normally would be great to break that up but I think for a bathroom which you want to be an oasis and a relaxing experience there's nothing wrong with having the gentle colors provided by the painting (and thematically it works, it has water and boats). Your bathroon isn't stark white the way some are that can have the opposite effect of being calming. I am NOT a designer and all this is highly subjective but I really love your bathroom choices. I don't think you need to change anything there.

EDIT: for the kitchen backsplash, I agree with everyone, you need a solid color. Let the countertop be the star, otherwise it gets way too busy and all of the selections you have in the photo will compete for attention - they do not work IMHO. A plain white tile could be totally fine. Or any other solid neutral color.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

Robi does it have to be a full desk? Can it be a open writing desk?

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Hi Julie, I’d rather him have a writing desk and know he can work off of it since he’s been using my DR table for a year. Let me suggest this and see what he says.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Well his response was a let down. Definitely not a writing desk. He’s an ole man set in his ways.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    11 months ago

Most have a top drawer for pens and such..does he need files? Looks like you already ordered storage for that room..the chairs fit so much nicer no banging of arm on chair..my husband loves his.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I originally wanted him to have a writing desk (I posted one from Ballard months back) and thought of just ordering it. I’m going to work on him with the writing desk. The room is so small, a writing desk would look nice. I took his old corner desk apart and put the cabinet and drawers in the closet - which gave him better storage than a tall metal file cabinet.

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

Julie is right, a writing desk will be much “lighter” looking in the room. I do like the console - the last “real desk” looks like it complements it.
    In a small room, any desk with drawers and files will seem “big” but you need to get him what he wants.

As someone who has worked from home for decades, I get the need for a bigger desk.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    11 months ago

RedRyder, I know what you mean. I worked at home for 2 years before retiring. My make shift L desk was nothing compared to my L desk in the office. I can say working for him (non paying employer) the last year has shown me he is stuck in my dads (85)days of paperwork. He keeps telling me was organized at home. I must call BS on that. When he came here, I packed all his many stacks of paper and condensed by electronic filing or rearranging his folders. I’ll probably scream when I go to his office bc I won’t be able to find a pen. His move in date is now June 15th. Yay!!