SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mt5mar

Frost protection

M T
last year
last modified: last year

I'm looking for peoples experiences with frost protection for shrubs and other perenials. I'm in zone 9, but we have been having these freezes that drop the temps into teens or low 20s for a couple of nights once or twice in the winter. The rest of the time it could be 60-40F.

I've been using frost blankets and sometimes xmas lights+ frost blankets with varying results. My gardenias with just frost blankets have brown leaves, but the plants made it overall. Roses with no cover are 70% damaged, with cover 30% damaged, with double cover - no damage at all.

Surprisingly my Autumn Azaleas have a destroyed foliage and blooms after using the blankets. I was under impression that they are pretty freeze hardy.

Tropical hibiscus and mandevilla survived outside under a blanket with only leaf damage. Poet's jasmine has split bark in a couple spots, also was covered.

My neighbor's hawthorns that leaf-burned to a brown crisp last freeze, and took 6 months to come back, have no damage this time around without any special intervention.

A few thoughts that are tumbling around in my head - do frost blankets freeze-burn leaves where they touch? The results seem to be mixed based on my experience. Is it possible to "freeze train" your plants to survive and stay evergreen? Would doubling up on frost blankets be better?

Thank you so much!

Comments (7)