SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stm25rs

New build appliance selection - several questions

stm25rs
last year
last modified: last year

I'm doing a new construction build, and am working on my appliance selections. Aiming to stay under $15k for everything.

Appliance plans are: Induction 36" cooktop, double wall oven, warming drawer, 36" counter depth French door refrigerator (preference is without front water/ice dispenser), island drawer microwave, dishwasher, front load washer, dryer.

My initial selections are as follows:

Fridge - LG LRFLC2706S

Wall oven - LG LWD306SST

Warming drawer - GE PTW9000SPSS or Kitchenaid KEWS105BPA (panel overlay option)

Cooktop - GE PHP9036SJSS or maybe GE Cafe CHP95362MSS since I like the controls look more

Dishwasher - Bosch 500 SHXM65Z55N, or 800 SHXM78Z55N

Microwave - Sharp SMD2470ASY

Washer/dryer - LG WM4200HWA/DLEX4200W

I've been reading about the LG fridge class action issue. I know the effected models are from 2014-2017 - has quality and support improved? The LG fridge listed above is appealing because it's spec'd as 26.5 cu. ft, compared to the 22-23 that's typical of other 36" counter depth French door models. Anybody familiar with that model, or any of the LG "Counter-Depth Max" models? I'm trying to figure out where the extra cubic feet are coming from, since it appears they have the same exterior dimensions as the 22-23 cu ft fridges.

Are their ovens and washer/dryers problematic as well? Since this is the internet, seems like every brand (particularly at my low/mid price point) has horror stories out there, so it's hard to get a real sense of reliability.

I just left a voicemail with a great appliance repair company that's done service at my current house, hoping to pick his brain about brands.

I've also seen suggestions for buying from a local appliance distributor that also services their sold equipment. Is this solid advice, and if so any suggestions in the Baltimore, MD area for distributors?

Comments (7)