rosecanadian
last month

Merry Christmas

Happy Hanukkah

and Yay for Kwanzaa!!!

We join together as friends on this forum

Cause with anyone else, we know that we'd bore 'em

With talk of fragrance, vigor, a new garden hose

Sunshine, manure, and what's wrong with this rose?

We've found a safe spot on this never-ending thread

for friendships, love and a good garden bed.

So Happy Holidays to our group so fun and quirky.

I hope we don't get over-stuffed with yummy, yummy turkey.

Comments (547)

• susan9santabarbara
    4 days ago

Deborah, I've always used Valentine's Day as my date to start fertilizing. But last year, I went back to using dry organic meals after not doing it for awhile. They take awhile to break down, so I figure any time is fine. In fact, you should really do them twice a year. I used to buy 50 pound bags of the above and make my own back when I was younger and stronger (the famous Karl Bapst mix). I'm currently making a half and half combo of Island Seed & Feed's (a local feed store) Landscape Mix (alfalfa, soybean, kelp, fish and feather meals) and Citrus Tone (the Tones are all pretty much the same). To each 15 gallon potted rose, I apply a heaping cup of the above, and 1/2 cup of earthworm castings and 1/2 cup of bagged chicken manure. For roses in the ground, I probably triple that. I also usually put down a scant scoop of Osmocote with micros before adding the above. Major LOL on getting stuff from the pot store... sounds smart :-D

I love Tiffany and Francis Meilland, so I think you made a great choice. But I'm maybe more of a modern rose savage than you are!

I'm afraid I've never dormant sprayed my roses or fruit trees.

Ryan, boy, did you ever make the right call for what you did in December! I haven't seen any powdery mildew yet, but I did encounter a rose with a lot of rust when I was pruning yesterday. It was one who I've never seen rust on, but as I type this, I'm at a loss for remembering who it was! I'll probably remember it 10 minutes after sending :-D

rosecanadian thanked susan9santabarbara
  • Deborah (Z10 Coastal CA)
    3 days ago

Thank you, Susan! I will head over to Island Seed & Feed tomorrow. I think Miner's carries all the tones. Where do you get the bagged chicken manure?

rosecanadian thanked Deborah (Z10 Coastal CA)
  • Related Discussions

Merry , Merry Christmas to all

Q

Comments (25)
    Belated Merry Christmas to all. Especially to Triciae, who was on my mind a lot this holiday and will be during future holidays. Dear Wonder Woman, I hope you are doing well, where ever you are. Thank you for showing me what courage and strength and kindness are. We drove down to the Bay Area for the holidays. Christmas Eve we had dinner with our good friends in Berkeley, raw oysters with mignonette, cracked crab, and the traditional Buche de Noel. Last night we had dinner with other good friends in Richmond, tenderloin, mashed potatoes and a warm cauliflower-brussel sprout salad. I made half of the tenderloin, cut pieces 1" thick and tied them into rounds, pan cooked, with a sauce of reduced white balsamic vinegar, Muscat wine, shallots and garlic, butter, sauteed mushroom stems, blended smooth, then simmered over whole mushroom caps. No recipe, just made it up. Our hostess roasted the rest of the tenderloin with a red wine and shallot reduction. We were supervised by a friend who is a head chef at a large hotel and, for the first time in many years, didn't have to work on Christmas day, but was nonetheless pressed into service which he did with good humour. I've been negotiating a stressful matter at work for the past few weeks. As of Dec 24, we were uncertain whether our little business unit would be shut down and I had prepared myself to be jobless come Jan 1st. That all got resolved satisfactorily at noon on Christmas Eve, final document review pending, so for the first time in a month, I was able to relax and unclench. It was nice.
    ...See More

An Early "Merry Christmas & Holiday Season"

Q

Comments (16)
    Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year however you chose to celebrate to each and everyone that takes part in this forum. Thanks for your posts, pictures, help and advise....and above all, your friendship! I will also echo Tyler's comment above, please, stay safe considering what is happening around us yet again. Thoughts are with those innocent people caught up in the German Christmas market incident at the moment. Gill
    ...See More

Merry Christmas

Q

Comments (2)
    Yea, it's slow everywhere, Merry X-Mas!
    ...See More

FNM Friday Night Music: Merry Christmas & Season's Greetings

Q

Comments (41)
    So much beautiful music...thank you, Lars. (dont know how to add a music link on my phone)
    ...See More
    3 days ago

Diane -- this site has a list of older daffodil varieties -- might be fun to look these up? I have to go walk the dog, or I would do it myself!
    https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/tbt/history-of-old-fashioned-daffodils/

• Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

Deborah, thanks for the link. I did a lot of "research" last night googling various sites and images and found only a couple of heirloom daffodils that partially resembled my plants, but there were key differences. I've tried to ID these daffs a number of times over the years, but no luck. I did learn a while back that daffodils originated in the mountains of Spain, and that surprised me. I will keep trying, but google search is a mess--they have reorganized themselves to bombard you with websites that want to sell you stuff and have nothing to do with what you are searching for. I could go on, but google disgusts me at this point.

Susan, I didn't realize my Twilight Zone and Munstead influenced you to grow these plants (and Kristine is a good influencer as well). I hope you still like them.

OK, Carol. How's the house hunting and moving going? When you first set out several days ago, I thought....they're going to drive halfway across Canada in January?? What brave fools these mortals known as Canadians be. So I hope ;you finally made it to BC, or are you stuck in a snow drift? I am awful, and I wish you only the best. Holly has some wonderful parents. We need you back and others, too, for some fresh new posting. I feel like I've taken over this thread, and I really don't want to do that. More cowbell and less Diane. Diane

Wild Blue Yonder--I know you've seen most of these pics before.

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    3 days ago

Hi Diane, keep posting. I love seeing all your pics and reading your pithy comments. Such cheery yellows in your wildflower garden and daffs. Yes, where are you, Carol? I hope you're holed up in Holly's delightful new home.

Deborah, I love your story about 'feeding the niffler'!

Kitty, I can just see Anastasia in a very feminine jacket of yours, with Eden in the buttonhole.

I keep being banned. I get on to 'like' posts, then when I go to post I find I'm banned.

Here are the pots on my little bedroom balcony today.

Brugmansia Peaches and Cream. It actually looks more orange than this, and has a nice scent.

Bougainvillea Sunrise has changed from all orange to a mix of orange and pink, though the orange doesn't show!

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

Trish,

Thank you so much. I was starting to feel a bit weirdish. And houzz is horrible to you, and I appreciate that you still persist in getting through and posting to us. After seeing your stunning tropical plants above, I've decided to wish my way to Australia. I don't know which of the two I like better, but the apricot brug is my favorite color for that plant, but....oh, that gorgeous bougainvillea. What a color. I would have that everywhere. My late beloved aunt who lived in Carmel, California, would complain that bougainvillea was everywhere there. I could not comprehend her attitude. I would love to grow it.....you should see my feminine jackets--mostly hoody zippered sweatshirts. The fancy ones don't have any holes or tears. They're for good--haha. Diane

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 days ago

Diane, frankly I think that we are all enablers being enabled by each other. I am grateful for the members who keep this thread active.

I had a lazer surgery last night and my eye is still dialated. I got the super size dialation

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

Kristine, tell me that your eye is OK. It wasn't a detached retina was it? I'm sorry to hear you're having eye trouble. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Recover quickly, and I hope the procedure was a success. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 days ago

And a Mandevillea

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 days ago

Take it easy, Kristine!!!

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 days ago

Nice Mandevilla!

Thanks on my poor eyes. I had a torn retna a few years ago but this was a lazer surgery to clean up some distortion. 45 minutes to dialate and numb, 3 minutes to do the procedure . I couldncouldn't believe that my eye was still dialated. Holy moly.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Deborah, Island Seed & Feed has the chix manure and earthworm castings (pretty sure EB Stone) in 1 cu. ft. bags, and they're cheaper than at La Sumida, which sometimes doesn't have them. So I just buy the 25# Landscape Mix and the chix and worm there. Plus I think they may need my support more than La Sumida!

Edit to say: Based on the revived Karl Bapst recipe thread I just read, I should say that I have never included urea, or epsom salts, or superphosphate in my dry mix. I just made my own mix of various organic meals. In our area, we have plenty of magnesium and phosphate in our soil.

And, yes, I get my Citrus Tone at Miner's... they carry all of them.

rosecanadian thanked susan9santabarbara
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    2 days ago

The top pond this afternoon. I spent quite a while in it yesterday, cutting off all the iris seedpods and scooping out blanket weed and leaves from the bottom. Have added a bag of barley straw in the hopes of getting rid of the blanket weed. Foul stuff and very resistant.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

That's so pretty, Trish, and is really special. I admire you having such a variety of projects that require some hard work to keep up. Love the lily pads and the cute lily blooming away. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with blanket weed. The name alone sounds awful. You must be feeling pretty good to do pond upkeep. I was going to do some cleanup today that would require crawling along the sidewalk. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It was our warmest day of the week, 51F, and it felt like 40F. Now my gardening friend, the perfectionist Elaine, will walk up the sidewalk Monday and view the dead mess in its glory. Tomorrow we're pretty much guaranteed rain, so I lost my one chance at cleanup. Which do you like better, bougainvillea or mandevilla? Diane

• Kimberly Wendt (Florida Z. 10b)
    2 days ago

I happen to love Mandevilla... even the Home D carries it in different colors (white, pink, violet/purple, yellow) at the moment. Also at the moment, I'm trying to encourage climbing nasturtiums and morning glory to start. i have some sweet peas I'm going to try as well, since I have mostly morning sun and some nice shade for the hot hot afternoon.

rosecanadian thanked Kimberly Wendt (Florida Z. 10b)
    2 days ago

Oh, and Diane, Kristen, Ryan and others.... I have officially 'caught' the sickness.... and I blame you all! (laughing). I haven't even finished putting in the rose beds yet, and I just ordered THREE more roses (from Heirloom this time): Louise Odier, Cloud 10 climber, and a Westerland. Heirloom website says that these three are good for zone 10, and can take some shade. But Help Me Find seems to disagree with some of that. Now I'm worried! I need roses for heat, humidity and shade!

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 days ago

@Kimberly Wendt (Florida Z. 10b) . I spent the first half of my life in Southern Az (zone 10 as a kid zone 9 as an adult). So many plants really want some shade in hot zones, especially afternoon shade. When I moved up to Oregon in zone 8, much farther away from the equator, I kept making the mistake and planting things in afternoon shade only to disappointdisappointed. The sun is just so muchmuch stronger in hot southern zones. I hahad to adapt my way of gardening up her here I yI bet yourour roses will be fine in yoyouru Florida "shade". ddzonesddzones

These darn Houzz gremlins moving my cursor and not letting me type and eating my words. And changing what I'm writing and adding nonsense. Sigh. ay,

from what I ve observed in comparing gardening in southern Arizona to gardening in Oregon is that the sun is so strong in Az that even a lot of shade spots are far brighter than shade spots here. When i go back to Arizona to visit the sun even in spring is so bright that I find myself wanting to wear sunglasses inside IF I m in a room with ll

Anyway, from what I ve observed in comparing gardening in southern Arizona to gardening in Oregon is that the sun is so strong in Az that even a lot of shade spots are far brighter than shade spots here. When i go back to Arizona to visit the sun even in spring is so bright that I find myself wanting to wear sunglasses inside IF I m in a room with lots of windows.

of

rosecanadian thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 days ago

Trish, your pond is so pretty with that cute little lily pad

It sounds like a lot of work but the result is lovely.

I have a lot of wonderful memories tied up with Bougainvillea but it gets huge and thorny so even if I lived in a place where it would grow I would pass. Mandevilla on the other hand is really beautiful without the thorns but alas, they are both annuals here.

Kimberly lol, you have fallen under the rose enablers spell. I wish that I could tell you that it will pass but it just gets worse.

I was going to stop at 25, 40 , 50 and so it went to 90+. It's a slippery slope

• KittyNYz6
    2 days ago
    last modified: yesterday

Good Afternoon,

I wish I had time to catch up….. I see soooo much of your gsrdening transpiring…. wanna keep up!! Maybe later tonight…..but I comment on the photos…..BEAUTIFUL GARDENING!

Diane, Love your wild Daffs-don’t know their variety???? I gave all yellow daffs-dont know tgeir variety either, Lol! Nice wild cone flowers!

Trish….. Love your pond-My, that’s work! And beautiful variegated Brug,Bougainvillea! In CA I used to have Bougainvilleas-they are beautiful!, And your mandevilla!!! Your potted Brug looks manageable-hope my 2 potted Brugs will be manageable, too-not too big, Lol! Love your photos! thanks for sharing. And happy Anastasia wants to go outside in a coat-…in anything! freezing cold or warmer-Anastasia loves the outside, Lol!

Carol, Hi, Where are you! Buried in Holly’s new home?

Kristine, Kimberly, Yes, we are the rose enablers! I planned on having 50 roses,,too. I now have about 122, must recount, Lol!

Kimberly, Kordes roses are great for humidity. i have several excellent in shade. I’ll text you later on it. SultryJasmine lives in Florida & has great success….. she may comment for you?

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida) What are your best roses for Florida shade, humidity, sun sun?

Can you help Kimberly above!

Kimberly, Plum Perfect, a lilac Kordes , does well in humidity & shade! Cream Veranda is great fir shade/humidity! Also, Pomponella,fushia, is great & almost climbs.Summers Romance, Beverly, Wedding Bells, do well in sunny humidity. These were all Kordes.

Olivia, a DA, does well in humidity. Jasmine, a Kordes, is exceptional climber in humidity. Nahema does (not dies)-update) well in sun, humidity

Kimberly, there is a Kimberlina Floribunda rose, from J&P does really well…. sun/humidity, some shade. Our Lady of Guadelupe is good. I have more…. write later….. getting ready for work now….

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
    2 days ago

OMG!!!! Gasp!!!! lol.... Seriously? For my totally brand new front of house garden... I ordered ELEVEN DA from DA, 3 OGR from Heirloom, 1 older Austin from Dodd, picked up 2 'bagged' roses from Lowes and 2 more DAs from Angels (who is about 4 hours north of me). And I thought that was a HUGE amount! I originally planned an tropical/perennial, curved walking paths garden with a few roses. Now I have a larger, curved formal circular walking path, and all 3 entrances have obelisks, arbors or trees. Matching on either side aka a formal rose garden with a few perennials! Yikes! Then I read that you were originally going for .... 50!? Gasp! I think 50 would be beyond my ability to care for well. Maybe it gets easier after a few seasons of practical knowledge. Okay, So I just started a NEW Excel spreadsheet list "Future Roses Recommended for my Garden!"

Kitty, Thank you for the suggestions (their goin' on the LIST lol!)... you are NOT helping me! (Yes, yes you are! lol)

Diane: those Daffy's are gorgeous, I've never seen frilly ones like that. I'm jealous. All your pictures are so beautiful and I love your humor. I raise my teacup to you in profound salute! (seriously!)

Jasmine has indeed been jumping in with helpful suggestions and comments on several threads I've started. (I have sooo many newbie questions). Everyone has been so helpful. I'm getting addicted again to the Garden Web forums....

2 days ago

@KittyNYz6, Thought to add on...

DA's Olivia R Austin is one of the eleven I've ordered! Yay!

"Nahema dies well in sun, humidity" .... uhhhhh, DIES WELL? lol (this made me laugh)

Would the Kimberly you mean... be Kimberlina from J&P? I think Help Me Find is glitching... says it would be good as a ground cover (it grows 4' high). Uh huhhh.

Grin....

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Kimberly, I love your enthusiasm and hope it remains. You mentioned wanting to have climbing nasturtiums. Are you familiar with nasturtiums? They are not natural climbers, but some are "trailing" plants. Most of the seeds sold on websites are for the shorter bush types. Only the trailing ones will get long enough to coax up a trellis. These plants have no tendrils or hold fasts, and they don't wind around posts naturally. I recommend the nasturtium called Tall Single. It's an oldie and the variety used in Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum's hanging flower baskets or pots. The nasturtiums, trailing down many feet from their pots, are the Tall Single type. The seed is sold on Swallowtail Garden Seeds website, and maybe one or two other sites. Nasturtiums germinate best when it's still cool, and prefer some shade, especially in Florida, I would think. My daffodils are either a species type or an early heirloom type. There were lots of double daffodils that are really old. After researching several times, I have found only two heirlooms that are similar, but still have differences from mine. I'm going to keep on searching, though. Thank you for the teacup salute. Diane

I grow these trailing types every year in a big pot on a stand. This is Tall Single.

yesterday

Kimberly, I wasn't aiming for 50, I was hoping that common sense or a tiny bit of self control would rear up and say enough! Sadly, self control hasn't shown up yet.

yesterday

@Diane Brakefield, The Southern Living Garden Plant Index listed the 'climbing nasturtiums'. I'd never heard of them either. I found these "Amazon Jewels" at Renee's Seeds: Renee's Seeds - Climbing Nasturtiums So far, the sprout is indeed very very upright and tall. Similar to how morning glories get down here.

yesterday

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw, lol! I guess I can relate. I tend to do everything 'over the top' and EVEN I think I'm nuts. grin.

• KittyNYz6
    yesterday

Kimberly, Ha Ha, sooooo many typos…. correction, ” Nahema does (not dies) well in humidity, “ Kimberlina at J&P, is the rose….. it’s bushy…. not a ground cover to me…..she blooms a lot easily. Typing while sleepy……

Parfuma Bliss is great in humidity/sun. Julia Childs does well in sun/ humidity! I have a few more roses that do well in humidity if you need more?

I am experimenting w/ DAs that are usually BS resistant….. I have James Galway, Olivia, Mayflower, Heritage, Roald Dahl, Desdemona, Eglantyne, Eutasia Vye, Silas Marner-these do the best. i have other DA, but they may get BS in humidity. These DAs all need sun. (Well, Olivia tolerates shade but will bloom less. )

Years ago, I started with 2 mini tree roses, had no clue how to care for them. Then I read a book on roses and bought 15, then 30 roses. I guess 30 roses was my staple for years. But then I had a goal of 50 for this new home property 6 years ago , & later now 120+, Oops!!!!!! I cant resist all the amazing varieties….. wanna see them all!!!!!! Soooooo addicted! LOL! I’ve been rose gardening for 36 years & now I want it ALL! Lol! Abd this firum isnt helping w/ my addiction, Lol! Happy to have you join us! Lol! What a joy! What an exciting new gardening endeavor you have planned, Kimberly! Enjoy!

ENJOYING Everyones photos, Diane’s Nasturiums, !!!!!

• KittyNYz6
    yesterday

Btw, My Pas de Deux rose , Japanese rose, is sprouting leaves all over…. happliy growing inside home, near south kitchen window in Feb now!!! (Love em’ growing this time of year. Careful about spider mites-no bugs now.) I HAVE ONE ROSE GROWING-Woohoo! Twice as many leaves a week & 1/2 ago…. 18” tall.

Snow just melted again outside…..33F-47F-52F this week!!!!! (We had 5F 2days ago-Lol!) Now a warming trend!!!! Yay!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Hi, everyone! I'm back from the hinterlands of Kitimat, B.C. :) :) Holly bought a house...all of the houses there were from the 1950s and were horribly decrepit. But we did find one house from 1985. No basement...but she thinks basements are creepy. LOL A company (LNG) came to Kitimat a few years ago and when they came, house prices doubled. So that's a shame for Holly that the prices were expensive.

We were driving down a highway and Don slowed down because we saw a wolf (HUGE) on the side of the road. It was a much darker color (mainly brown) than the wolves we get in Alberta (saw some in Fort McMurray once). It turned around and ran back in the woods after about 5 seconds. Really cool experience!

Holly will live in zone 7b!!!!!! I'm so jealous!! And, apparently, they get 5 feet of rain (snow and rain) in a year...we get a foot and Kedra gets 6 inches in Saskatoon. Unreal...5 feet!! That area is in a temperate rainforest.

Well, we flew to Kitimat (3 hours, I think) and then on the way home, we had to go the longer way through Vancouver. With delays, it took us 12 hours to get home. On the final leg from Vancouver to Calgary I had to get a wheelchair and I could barely talk..stutter, stutter, and my whole upper body (especially my arms) was flapping around like a fish on a line....the entire trip. Every little noise caused my body to jerk around, like my body was an exposed nerve. It was horrible. I'm not going back unless we can get the shorter trip. It was a nightmare. It was all too much information for my brain with my disorder. I spent the next 2 days just on the couch and sleeping for 3 hours at a time. I will never go on a long trip again.

The time with Holly, though, was really fun. Oh, and Kitimat is horrible. LOL There's one low cement store which has a dollar store, and other stores I would never shop in. Holly has low wants/needs so she says that will be fine. Her museum is really nice and new and the staff are REALLY wonderful...we all had lunch together. She really lucked out with them. :) :)

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    yesterday

I'm sorry the trip was so hard on you, Carol. It's rough for parents and kids to live far apart. 💛 It sounds like Holly lives in. A great place for gardening. It's so wonderful that you could be there to help her find a house.

rosecanadian thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    yesterday

Just realized, Diane, that I didn't answer some of your questions -- Colette has a lot of potential. Looking forward to her this year. I told my students about the video game to say that it had some rhetorical problems! But I named my owl after the student who told me to try the game. I am deleting as soon as I level up my imp (do I sound like an addict?). Too bad I can't get paid to play the game like your genius granddaughter! I never played Zelda, but when I was in college, that was the name we gave young men we weren't interested in. We would always say, "I'm Zelda from Berkeley." One time a confused young man wondered why there were three Zeldas from Berkeley at one party. I wish my dog could live (well) until he's 30. Any idea why that dog is so long-lived?

That typo was pretty funny -- this rose DIES well!

Susan -- I went to Island Seed & Feed and bought two small bags -- didn't even look for a big bag. And I'd already got my chicken manure and earthworm castings at LS. They give me a 15% discount for being a member of the botanic garden, so there's that.

Kitty -- hope all your experiments go well.

Carol - good to "see" you again! But I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough time of it. How amazing to see a wolf in the wild. And I didn't realize you don't get much rain where you are. I agree with Librarian -- no bueno to have kids/parents so far apart. I'm sorry. But I'm super glad you got to see where she works and where she'll live. YOu will be able to picture it all when she shares her stories.

Have a good week, all.

I have a weird eye infection that is kind of painful and very ugly. Spent 3 hours at urgent care yesterday. I guess technically it's the eyelid -- some bacteria in it (which I'm told is common). But this is a set-back. Sheesh.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Deborah - ow! I'm sorry you have an eye infection. Do you think it's from wearing contacts? Three hours is a pretty short wait for a hospital. That part was good, at least. Hopefully, your eye will get better fast. Yes, indeed, you do sound like a gamer addict. LOL :) :) It sounds fun. :) Yes, I'm really glad I went. She really needed me emotionally...her Aspergers is always a challenge.

Librarian - yeah, this was the worst I've ever been. I was worried that the flight attendants would turn the plane around because they may have thought I was having a seizure. Thankfully Don helped them understand.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    yesterday

Deborah, look up meibomian gland dysfunction and treatment. Best wishes on getting past the infection.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    yesterday

Thank you, Sheila!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    yesterday

Carol I’m happy you were there for her but I’m sorry the trip was so hard on you :(

• Diane Brakefield
    22 hours ago

Carol, I'm so happy you're back, recovering from a both great and awful trip. I'm amazed that you were able to help Holly find her house so quickly. I hope she grows to love it. One question--where can you get groceries in Kitimat? I hope there's more than a Dollar Store for groceries. (I was just in a Dollar Tree this afternoon, and it's OK for some things but not groceries). Anyway, I was intrigued about the wolf. That must have been a sight. We have them here in Idaho, but I'm not sure they are the same kind as what you saw. More later about Idaho wolves. But, I'm so sorry the trip back was an awful trial. I'm with you on long trips. Not for me anymore. Were the doggies happy to see you? I'll bet, and I hope they made everything a calmer, low key environment for you. Here's some interesting info on annual rainfall: our own Vaporvac in Ohio gets 50-60 inches of rain a year, and some places along the Oregon coast get 60 inches. But the real winner in the rainfall sweepstakes is the Olympic National Forest in Washington, getting 100-140 inches per year. Wow. I went there as a kid and loved it. There were tiny little frogs everywhere, one of which became mine during our short visit (yes, I let him go). It was another world for me, a child of the semi arid desert. Remember when we discussed moving to BC to grow roses in zone 8? Oh, those mild temps. I'm going to divide my post up in case of houzz gremlins. So, love, love that you're back We've missed you. Diane

21 hours ago

Diane -- not sure if you're on a snack break -- but I don't see a second post re wolves and whatnot. Hope Houzz gremlins didn't eat your post. Eye much better already. Have a good night!

• Diane Brakefield
    20 hours ago

Deborah, Are you sure your eye infection is not from watching a screen as you play a video game far too long? Your poor eyes are screaming for relief from the creatures that dance across the screen. But, I hope the infection is in retreat.....As for the world's oldest dog, they mentioned he lived a peaceful life in the country and had four sister kitties. And that must be the secret. Kitties to the rescue. So, Deborah, you need at least one kitty for you doggie. And the kitty would be murder on mice and voles. It's a win-win. I'm glad you are optimistic about Colette. She should do well for you in your mild climate.

I had lunch with my gardening friend, Elaine, a good friend since second grade. So humiliating to have her walk by the hideous mess of dead stuff and leaves in the front flower beds, as she approached the front door. Before lunch, we took our usual trip to Edwards Greenhouse, and by chance ran into our friend, the head of roses, perennials, and grower and supplier of clematis and peonies to Edwards. I wanted to discuss the US rose problems with Anju. She said the US rose industry was a mess, and concured that Austin is not filling its orders on time or properly, but that other companies were having problems, too. I told her I thought the fact that all Austins this year were own root was that Austin was trying to clean up its act and by not using virused rootstock. She thought that sounded right. But also thought there was a lot of demand in Idaho for own root roses, where, of course, I lectured her about how my grafted Julia Child roses are better performers than my own root, and that Julia needs to be grafted for best performance. She also said that for years, Californians were told not to bury the graft, but that they should to keep rootstock from taking over. I told her that I always buried the graft union and had never lost a rose to cold. It was fun to talk to her and express my opinionated self. Oh, there were gorgeous blooming bulbs all over the place and more begonias than you could count. I was particularly taken with the tiniest of Tete a Tete daffodils. There were a zillion. The beautiful brug was gearing up for another bloomfest, and various tropicals were popping a few blooms. But nothing to equal Trish's bougainvillea. More later. Diane

Mr Lycidas, the top two pics from October and the bottom is from July. He's a good rose.

• Diane Brakefield
    20 hours ago

Deborah, wolves later. It's not that exciting, really. But I need to read some Dorothy Sayers. I'm really enjoying "Bring His Carcase". No, that's not a typo. Back later. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

Oursteelers - it's like childbirth...hideous at the moment and then forgotten except to regale in stories. LOL Thanks. :)

Diane - Thanks, Diane. :) :) :) As to the house...there were only 9 to look at in her price range (we kicked in a lot of money...but still). She had a house inspector come to see it...and there were problems (There always are...but some of these were major.) We have more questions to ask...so it's a bit daunting. Oh, there are some grocery stores and a few restaurants. She usually shops at a No-Frills grocery store...and there's one there. There's a bigger town about an hour away...but she doesn't have a car. There's a bus...but one time in and one time out. Yes, the wolf was really gorgeous brown color. It was a magical moment. :) Yes, the dogs were very happy to see us. Zephyr hid his head between my knees so that he couldn't see out. 140 inches of rain a year? That's insane! LOL What color were the frogs...green? They'd be well camoflauged. I think you get less precipitation than our 12 inches. I've forgotten. I wouldn't like to live in those places that get so much rain. I like the dryness. Yes, it's good to be back with everyone here. :) :)

Deborah - that is SUCH good news that your eye is doing better. :) :)

Diane - so good that you and Elaine got together. :) :) As to the garden mess...she won't care...she knows how gorgeous your roses are. :) :) Oh, that would be good if Austin roses aren't virused anymore. I hope that's what they're trying to do. We love your opinionated-self. :) :) We are all a little bit like that. Oh my goodness!!! I think I love your Young Lycidas better than any of your other roses...those blooms are exquisite!! Oh, and I finished that book by the author you recommended. Title was something about a Fen (marsh). The murderer wasn't who I thought it was. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    17 hours ago

Carol, that's so cute about Zephyr. I love it when animals clearly express their joy in seeing us. I wouldn't want to live in the rain forest, either, but it was a gorgeous wonderland of ferns and moisture dripping lightly off emerald green trees. The frogs were green and I still remember that they were everywhere. Yes, we get 10 inches of snow and rain per year. This year ended with us being barely OK and no longer in a drought. And we just had some rain, so hopefully, this year will continue to be OK. I'm glad Holly has some grocery shopping options. I wouldn't want to pack bags of groceries for an hour on a bus, so I'll bet she sticks with the No Frills store--is that its name? So take it easy and gear up for spring from the couch. Diane

9 hours ago

Deborah, glad that your eye is on the mend.

Azalea ended up with her first goose egg too. For 4 years she has avoided the table corners and the hearth but her big brothers were here and craziness ensued.

How did you injure your eye ?

Carol, you must be relieved to have found a house for your daughter. What kind of repairs will have to be done? Will she be able to be in the house while it is being done.

Sounds like a nightmare getting home yikkes. Anyway you can feel good that you got this done for her

Diane, does Evelyn grow her Bougainvillea outside?

You are so blessed to have such a dear with the same passion as you.

This week suppossed to be 50

so hopefully I get rid of this darn earache that I have had since Saturday so I can get my holes dug for my Palatine order.

Everything will hit at once, prunning and orders arriving. I need to feel better for all the upcoming work. Oh and the root clearing I did that nearly took out a body part, turns out that I can't plant anything there anyway because it is where we pull the utility trailer out. Oh bother says Pooh.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    8 hours ago

Ugh! All that pain for nothing, Kristine!

• Ang NC_7B
    8 hours ago

First signs of Spring have me so excited! i found a wild pansy that popped up in the yard, and my Bliss Parfuma is about to leaf out! BP is way ahead of the rest of my roses. Spring is my favorite time of year and I cannot wait!

rosecanadian thanked Ang NC_7B
    8 hours ago

Oursteelers, I wondered why I had never planted anything in that spot lol

8 hours ago

Ang, look at your Bliss taking off. So exciting to see new life.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

Diane - you and I have similar rain estimates then...you get 10 inches and we beat you by a whole 2 inches!! LOL Waaait...I googled (previous amount was given by my husband...he must have just guessed.) We get 18 inches of precipitation...tons more rain than you get! You really don't get much rain. :( Oh, you make that rainforest trip sound magical with little frogs everywhere!! Yes, that really is the name of the store. LOL I'm still impatiently waiting for my rose list from Wildwood. Ugh.

Kristine - ouch for you and Azalea...yup...add boys to the mix and you get chaos. LOL And your boob was almost broken for no reason. Dang. Thanks about Holly. There's some under the house concrete problems, moss on the roof and other things I can't remember. We're still trying to figure things out. But she has the movers booked already and they said they can leave their truck there in Kitimat (for a cost, of course) until she's ready. The only time they have for the move is the 24th (I think) of February...so we'll see how it goes. Yes, I'm glad that we did good by her. I hope that your ear ache leaves you alone and that you can get your holes dug.

Oh, Ang!!! That's SO exciting!!! The sight of all of those leaves popping out really made me happy!! :) :) Have fun with spring!

We have another issue for Holly. She has 2 cockatiels that she wants (and we dearly want gone LOL) and I guess we have to drive them 17 hours (ugh) to get them to her...maybe in May. One of the birds is around 20 years old and I'm afraid he (or both of the birds) may die on a plane. Does anyone have an idea if flying would be a good way? I know there are pet transporters who drive pets...Don's against the idea for some reason. ???

4 hours ago

Carol, too bad that the birds aren't pigeons then they could fly themselves to Holly's

• KittyNYz6
    4 hours ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

Carol, So happy to have you back in “One Harmonious Piece! Lol! “ Trips for 12 hrs-Wow! I’d fall apart! Way too long! Kitimat sounds like a beautiful west coast tranquil place to live for Holly! I love the west coast…. the gorgeous ocean , sea life, heavenly forests, wild life! I’m glad she’s happy in her new home & location!

@Ang NC_7B Yay! Your rose is growing!!! And a wild pansie growing! Amazing signs of spring!!! (I cant griw things outside yet…. but my rose is growing inside! Lol! It’s my sign of spring! Ha!

Kristine, Azalea had a goose egg! Whete did it come from? Did I miss something?? Soubds like brothers visit was tons if funnfor her! Lol!

Diane, Beautiful Lycidas-super decadent lushious petals & color! How wonderful to get together with your gsrden friend & go to E’s Greenhouse!!!! Seeing live plants!!!!! Brugs!!!! Bulbs blooming! Tropicals! Oh, how wonderful!!And interesting that DA are ”All own root?” I didnt know. I need to check that out. Cleaning up virus stick would be really good!!!! I have many DA own-roots coming. I’m goingvto look at their website now……

Deborah, I hope your eye improves…Your roses will soon be in bloom! Can’t wait to see your first blooms! Hope your eyes clear up asap so you can enjoy gardening prep for your big blooms! When is your usual firstcblooms? In LA it seemed to be mid-March the first big blooming roses display each year.

Anastasia was at the groomers today…… time fir a total shave job & start growing it again!

It’s warming, but she’ll now wear a jacket outside. Today was 47F & I saw a 53F in next week coming up. Unseasonable warm for us! Woohoo!

• Diane Brakefield
    1 hour ago

Carol, you live in a veritable rain forest. I would love 18 inches of rain. We don't want too much more because the old fungal diseases rear there ugly heads. I don't think you should drive 17 hours in May. There's got to be a better solution. It was 51F today, and I was outside killing myself, crawling along the sidewalk cleaning out the hideous mess, 90% being tree leaves from the dastardly locust trees. I hate their tiny leaves and twigs. I finally got some OK knee pads a few years ago which improves things some. Until then, I just drug along on my knees with no padding. I got one section done and now have about 12 more to go. Ack and damnation. The garbage can was so stuffed and heavy, I could barely drag it back to the garage.

Kitty, yes, I think Anastasia will need a jacket for now. So cute. She loves to pose. Cats are not as cooperative. That's great that the Japanese rose of yours in leafing out inside. I think you've timed it right for that because before long you can harden it off. Nothing blooming here, but I uncovered a few snaps with little leaves and new stems. The trouble is when you remove the protective debris, the little plants freeze. But I just couldn't put off clean up any longer. I'm the disgrace of the neighborhood. Thanks about Young Lycidas. Have you thought of growing him? Deborah had roses blooming, but she had to remove the blooms to prune. I don't know if I could bring myself to do that. But roses do better with regular pruning, I discovered to my regret--at least modern roses.

Everyone get better and may your respective injuries and infections disappear: Azalea, Kristine, Deborah, and Carol. Diane

31 minutes ago

She was running around like a crazy girl and tripped and hit the table corner. I tried to put an ice pack on her but she wasn't having any of that.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022