SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sk0325

How short can I go with a lift-up kitchen wall cabinet

SK
last year

In the middle of kitchen remodel. Doing IKEA sektion boxes and custom doors from Scherr's. Scherr's can make fronts/doors in any size and can also make hinge holes in the fronts to line up exactly with modified IKEA boxes.

I have a small kitchen and short fridge (but kinda tall ceilings, strangely). I need maximum storage space. With the current layout, and I have awkward 8 inch gap between the top of the fridge (including clearance of fridge hinges) and where the 20" tall, 24" deep "above the fridge" ikea wall cabinet begins.

I'm thinking of asking my contractor to cut down another "above the fridge" ikea wall cabinet to just 8 inches tall so that I can have a small cubby with a lift up door above the fridge. Scherr's can custom make the door to whatever height I specify.

1. Is 8 inches for a lift up door wall cabinet awkwardly short in height? I don't think so since it will look similar to a drawer with just a single front, knob in middle (so shouldn't look too awkward despite being an above-the fridge"). But looking for other opinions
  2. If you have an IKEA horizontal, lift-up door, and own these UTRUSTA hinges (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/utrusta-hinge-w-damper-for-horizontal-door-white-80465415/), can you let me know the length of the arm? (circled in red in this pic

)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH