SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_metscher23

We’re stumped! Can’t figure out family room layout

Jules M
last year

We are struggling to find the best furniture arrangement for our small and narrow family room. For reference, the rug is 8 1/2 by 11, and there are 2 loveseats and 1 chair. So we can only seat 5 people, ideally we’d like to seat 6-8. The fireplace seems very disproportionate and the tile is cracked so we would like to remodel that and could lower or change out the mantel if needed. The question is “Should we keep the TV on the current wall or move above fireplace to add seating on the long wall?” We are willing to get all new furniture, but we do need to have a tv in this room. My husband is wondering if a sectional would work better. I just don’t want the room to look too crowded - so we are struggling!

More info: We decided to move here 3 hours away from a home that we loved to be closer to our 2 grand babies and to help take care of my 91 year old mother. We purchased this home last spring in the middle of the real estate frenzy and really had to compromise on size. This house is like a little cottage, cute but small. It is fairly dark inside due to low ceilings and low windows. Since the photo, we have had all the walls painted an off white to brighten things up a bit. My style is transitional and eclectic and I like mixing old and new. Thank you for any advice!

Comments (25)