SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_271823512

Chimney/Flue issue and repair

Imma S
last year
last modified: last year

Hi everyone, We recently had a chimney inspection on our 25 yo house. The inspector found some cracks on the outside bricks and inside the flue as well, plus it looks like there are some water penetration. The outside cracks are at the top of the chimney and are pretty bad, so he suggested to rip out the top xx rows of bricks out and replace with new ones. Price to be determined. Inside the flue, he suggested to lining it with cement, roughly $4200. The inside cracks were identified with the flute camera and he mentioned that he wouldnt be able to spot them just by looking up. He also advised not to use the chimney until everything is fixed. Given the total cost, and timing, we probably wont be able to use the fireplace this winter which is really disappointing. I am wondering if anyone had similar issues. Given the cost, I am thinking to not fix the flue and maybe replace our wood burning fireplace with an electrical fireplace. This would reduce future maintenance cost and is also safer since we have small children and pets. But then I dont know if it would be the same without real fire..... Looking for any adivce/suggestions and would love to hear your experience if you've had similar issues.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors