SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Substitute Hoosier for white shaker cabinets

oldalgebra
last year
last modified: last year

I posted this in the kitchen forum, but didn't get much of a response. It is a long read, so maybe that's why.

I once owned an old Hoosier Cabinet, so I have a bit of a love for such a piece in my tiny 1927 house.

This is the floor plan for the kitchen in my 1927 Tudor house.

This is a rendering of the south wall where a cabinet-flush refrigerator will be on the left side:

Lately, I have been looking at many pictures of Tudor kitchens, and also just white kitchens in general. I've noticed that besides the trend to go green with the cabinets, there are a few kitchens that show one or two cabinets made of stained wood (no paint). This trend is inching its way into many of the remodel posts online. The wood is a reddish color, or often times, an even lighter in tone. Ninety percent of the examples I came across seemed to have a sort of raw look to the wood, Nothing high gloss.

Most of the time, the natural wood cabinets are in an island, but not always. Sometimes the cabinet(s) were tucked between or next to a row of painted cabinets.

I very much like the look, and think it might help soften all the white I have planned in the room.

So, it occurred to me that I might like the cabinets next to the refrigerator to be natural wood, while keeping the rest of the kitchen white with Shaker style fronts. I am a bit concerned that I might be trying to cram too many different styles/elements in a tiny space - and that my vision may be too cutesy to look good.

Still here is the vision for you to consider:

If I do go with the stained cabinets alongside the refrigerator, I’d like the cabinet design to evoke a sort of Hoosier cabinet look.

Here are two antiques I found on eBay.

As it turns out, these Hoosiers (and a few others I came across) will easily fit in the space.

This means I could also consider setting an original Hoosier against the wall. And if my cabinet maker is not interested in making one, there are places that make Hoosier-like pieces to fit your exact specifications.

[Here's a website that sells new Amish-made cabinets:

https://www.amishfurnituremakers.com/store/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=531&qty=1

And secondly, an article about how to make your own custom one from stock parts.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/hoosier-cabinet-plans-zm0z15djzmar/}

I think this might be a great place for my dry goods jars

and a little coffee nook in the tall skinny cabinet to the left (with door!), with an electrical outlet and shelves above the coffee maker for coffee pods and a few mugs - something I use almost every day.

So, I need your input.

1. Is it a no good, very bad, terrible idea?

2. Would an original Hoosier be the best bet?

3. Would a built-in mock Hoosier work best?

OK. I have my bulletproof vest on. Fire away.

Comments (54)

• kandrewspa
    last year

Along the lines of what Kendrah said, this can work if it fits. Can you get your cabinets in a soft white color instead of an cool white? What is your floor going to be? What were you thinking for a countertop? If you plop this piece into a generic white Shaker kitchen like everyone and their brother has (mind you, I don't actually have anything against a white Shaker kitchen - I will do something similar when I get around to remodeling) it won't look right.

oldalgebra thanked kandrewspa
  • oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

SOME ANSWERS:

No, the rest of the house is not funky eclectic. There are only empty rooms. Haven't moved in yet. There's a lot to be done before we can live in the house comfortably.

I do not have any large antiques (furniture/art pieces), I have, however, ordered a couple of appliances for the kitchen that have a vintage vibe - a counter flush refrigerator and a 30" gas stove.

Counter space question

I currently have a kitchen that has wonderful counter space. We remodeled about 20 years ago and I was so pleased with the results. Upon reflection however, I realize I have been using the same unobstructed length of counter (about 6 feet) every single time I work in the kitchen. Of course, some other areas (on both sides of the stove, for instance) are used to plop down pans for cooling cookies, etc, but for the most part, I've never moved from my single work spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the plop-down area, but I don't cook or entertain like I used to, so I suspect the north and west counter runs will provide all the area I'll be needing. Now, storage is another question.

Less than half the former owner's cabinets remain in the kitchen (I have some speculation concerning why this is, but no real information). We will be ripping out the yellow and black trimmed tile and putting in solid surface countertops. I scrubbed my last grout years ago. Never again. Never again.

I can have soft white shaker fronts. Nothing final has been decided - which is why I am trying to decide about the area we are talking about in this very post.

Floor question:

Interesting you should ask about the floor. That was going to be my next posted question. I am reeeeeealy thinking about porelain tile that looks like brick. There are a couple of manufacturers (on the East Coast, I think) that produce some great looking tile-that-looks-like-brick products. Looking at their picture galleries leads me to think the a brick look actually helps to tone down the white in the kitchen and keeps it from looking like a vintage science laboratory.

So, again, I ask everyone to enter in with their trained eye. Do you think a Hoosier cabinet will look goofy?

• Related Discussions

White Appliances with Slightly Off White Cabinets

Q

Comments (24)
    amw33629, I didn't post this yesterday as it probably won't help but I did pull out my kitchen mags and do a thumb through and I found a couple of examples. Kitchen Makeovers Fall 2008 Again a vintage white stove, 18" white dishwasher and white fridge in an alcove away from the cabinetry with no cupboard above. They had their Cabico cupboards hand painted (they wanted brushstrokes) and the look is very vintage with built in feet on the inset cabs, butcher block counters and vintage accessories including a 30's Hoosier cabinet. Kitchen Makeovers Fall 2008 Quite low budget kitchen in a 50's era home. Kitchen has a retro feel with white trim, white appliances, white cabinetry and a sheet vinyl white floor in a tile pattern. Walls are a stong colour that matches the laminate counters (no backspash) It's a U with uppers on only one side. Cute very simple and appliances seem to blend but overall the room has a stong retro feel. Kitchen Solutions #45 pg 38 Creamy white shaker cabinetry with Cleopatra granite and wood floor. Very contemporary (not modern) kitchen with a strong use of earthtones. In all honesty awful it looks like they cheaped out on the appliances (wall oven and micro combo, fridge and cooktop are visible). The appliances just look like they are waiting to be replaced. I like white appliances but the kitchen I'm working on is in a 50's row house and we are pushing the retro by doing a two tone composition vinyl tile floor, mixed cabinetry, open shelves and chunky hardware. Quirky not slick. Smilingjudy's fridge is very contemoporary and her only white appliance which is probably why it works with the more traditional white cabinetry (fridge and cabinetry have very different finishes as well) and those gorgeous Richlite countertops (very matte and just slightly mottled - quite different from a traditional granite). Probably not much help without pics, sorry.
    ...See More

Need Help Deciding Countertop for Cream Shaker Cabinets!

Q

Comments (11)
    Have you considered antiqued Nordic Black granite? If you really like the look of soapstone, I think NB is the best substitute looks-wise. Below, I've linked a thread to jen4268's gorgeous kitchen, which displays antiqued Nordic Black with cream shaker cabinets and oak floors. Although Virginia Mist is very pretty in its own right, I can't understand why it has earned the reputation that it "looks just like soapstone" (which I've heard from several granite people). The two installations I've seen in person look nothing like any soapstone I've ever seen. Again, beautiful on its own, but soapstone-like at all. Here is a link that might be useful: Update Pics of cream traditional kitchen
    ...See More

Why do you choose your "style" cabinet?

Q

Comments (19)
    I chose a white raised-panel cabinet, frameless. The appearance is similar to the pics above from Johnsoro25, except on my cabinets the stiles and rails are a bit wider than Johnsoro's, and the center panel is narrower. I also chose knobs instead of pulls, in a shiny silvery finish; the pulls have no design - they are just round pulls. The reasons for my choices: I wanted white because, well, I just like a white kitchen. I wanted raised panel because everywhere I looked I saw Shaker and wanted to do something different. The design is still clean and simple - you can opt to get infinite embellishments with raised panel designs, but I didn't. I also chose frameless because I like the look, and wanted every inch of storage I could get (frameless offers a few more inches of interior space than framed cabinets).
    ...See More

Where can I buy IKEA Ramsjo white cabinet doors? (help!)

Q

Comments (24)
    Hey everyone... I had the same exact problem. Some of the thermofoil doors/cabinets started to peel on about 4-5 of my doors. I found a company that is amazing from California. I live in Boston but wanted to provide this info as they so far have been the best fix I could come by. The website is below: http://www.cabinetnow.com I purchased the Artesia RTF Cabinet Door - Frosty Satin White to match and then had the TSQ cut corner. I've attached a picture of the replacements. In my kitchen...can't noticed the difference. They also can do cabinet faces for the drawer fronts. It's the solid door front with TSQ edge. They will talk you through it. See attached photos. Hope this helps everyone with this same FRUSTRATING problem that I had. WAY better than replacing the entire kitchen cabinets! The second photo is an original next to a replacement. If you're staring at them you may notice a slight difference, but once up...seriously the same. Well worth it and reasonably priced. Shipped to my door. GOOD LUCK!
    ...See More
  • wishiwereintheup
    last year

I suppose it could work, although I don't know how easy it is to find antique ones in good condition (vs. new). My great aunt had one in her kitchen and the counter was porcelain enameled steel. Hers was in good condition but that's something that's easy to ding, like those steel speckle ware pots and roasters. Hers also had one of those flour sifters - don't know how practical that is today. The new Amish ones look awesome at the link you provide.

And shame on you, @oldalgebra, you NEVER leave dry goods jars, canister sets, salt and pepper shakers, knife blocks, etc. out on ANY counters anymore. Everything has to be hidden away in cabinets. The ONLY things allowed on a counter is a flower sprig in an artsy vase and a bowl of lemons. ;-)

oldalgebra thanked wishiwereintheup
  • oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

Mea culpa, @wishiwereintheup. I’m frantically going through one of my storage cupboards looking for an artsy vase. Oh! just spotted one. Thanks goodness.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

Renderings:

• Denise Mller
    last year

Have you ever watched “Restored” on Magnolia. Check it out. Reminds me of what he would do. Love it.

• ptreckel
    last year

I say, you should go for it! First, I would look at the dimensions of REAL Hoosiers. Are you tall? If so, the counter top on a Hoosier might be too short for you. (I am short. It is perfect for me to use as a work surface.). What do you need to store in it? Mine has metal pull out shelving below that is great for storing pots and pans. The side drawers are good for utensils. The bottom deeper drawer has a metal interior for storing things. The top interior has shallow racks for spices. The problem areas are usually the tall side cabinets, in which people stored flour with a dispenser. Mine lacks that. I guess what I am asking is not really about looks, but about practical use. I you are seeking to emulate the look, vs. buying an old one OR retrofitting an old one…I still say, DO IT! I think it will add charm and character to your kitchen.

oldalgebra thanked ptreckel
  • la_la Girl
    last year

I LOVE kitchens with unfitted pieces so i would absolutely go for it - as long as other elements in the space echo the vintage spirit (which sounds like it does) i think it will be functional and charming - make sure to come back with photos :)

FWIW - in a cottage kitchen i had years ago i had the most fabulous vintage green cabinet that held all my spices - i still miss it!

oldalgebra thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO if you love such a piece a good designer will help make it work. This is done all time in Eurpoe so maybe check out designs for unfitted kitchens

oldalgebra thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • RedRyder
    last year

Okay, I’ll be the outlier. You have already purchased two important appliances. You want brick floors. I would not add a white-and-wood cabinet design, especially if you also want to add a Hoosier. Too busy.

I think your “new but old looking” black and white appliances make a huge (positive) statement and the rest of the kitchen should help them to be incorporated in your Tudor home. I doubt an all white shaker kitchen would feel right. Have you scoured Pinterest and other sites for Tudor 1920’s kitchen updates?

Forgive me, but it is feeling like a kid in an appliance candy store. Keep the rest of the design simple to work with the two beauties you already bought. If the “brick” floor isn’t uncomfortable for you to stand on, it would add it as a great “old” element. Then stop. Everything else has to be the same and visually “quiet”. Personally, I think your black beauty stove is the queen of the ball….That’s probably my jealousy talking.

oldalgebra thanked RedRyder
  • oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder, thank you for your honest input. I will give a lot of thought to what you have pointed out. The-kid-in-the-appliance-candy-store is a feeling I've had all along and what prompted me to ask for the opinion of others.

Your comments were very gentle. Again, thank you.

To follow up on "I doubt an all white shaker kitchen would feel right," do you have any suggestions concerning alternative colors? (I am not a fan of green, which I know is very "in" right now.)

• Kendrah
    last year

I think it you get it and paint it the color of your walls it will have less of a hodge podge look. I think with your (very cool) appliances, if you get a wood one it is going to be a whole lot of look.

Try doing a google shopping search for hoosier cabinet and select from the side filter, "used". There are many painted pieces that you can buy so painting one of those white would not be sacrificing a beautiful wood finish.

Check out this beautiful white one from Charish.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&tbm=shop&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ7NJh9K7u3bdJkE4j15nBB06qCeQ:1670516225644&q=hoosier+cabinet++&tbs=mr:1,new:3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNtuHxter7AhVNLFkFHa0PDSQQsysIzwkoAQ&biw=1440&bih=710&dpr=2#spd=2022631948618316327

oldalgebra thanked Kendrah
  • Angela Zuill
    last year

My neighbor has an antique cabinet (not a hoosier) as a beverage center at the end of a cabinet run. Her cabinets are Revere Pewter, not white, but I LOVE this piece in her kitchen. She does have wood floors, so your brick floors may change things. Here are some pics of her kitchen- you can see the beverage center cabinet on the left side of the first pic.

oldalgebra thanked Angela Zuill
  • tracefloyd
    last year

Brick as in real brick floors? It's a very hard surface and porous so it's a grease magnet. You would have to seal them often. I'm clumsy and hate stone floors because anything i drop shatters very easily and into a million pieces.

If it were my dream kitchen I would install luxury vinyl plank or lvtile. I'm sorry, but I think it looks great and is just so practical. Luxury vinyl is softer under foot, waterproof and lasts 25 years. If a piece gets scratched just replace it. So order enough to have some extra.

I love the idea of a coffee/beverage bar. We have upper corner cabs with lazy susans. One a coffee/tea rack, the other, a spice rack. Heaven. I love antiques but again I have learned that practicality trumps.

Build a custom coffee/beverage bar AND spice rack combo. And no cabinet doors on the bottom. Drawers shallow and deep. They make spice racks for the shallow drawers. Have a drawer that fits standard tea boxes and one for coffee etc. A deep drawer for the grinders, filters, large coffee bags,etc. Lighter items overhead...bulk spices and tea boxes, Splenda, cocoa, Crystal light, that sort of thing.

I think things like flour and sugar go in a pantry somewhere. Make sure you build one of those with pull out shelves...a lifesaver. Heck just make everything in the kitchen pull out, pots/pans/lids everything. Who likes digging around in the back of a cabinet anymore anyway?

oldalgebra thanked tracefloyd
  • RedRyder
    last year

A creamy ivory (bordering on beige but not beige and not white) is often shown in Tudor homes (Old House Journal is a great magazine to subscribe to) and many have a wood beam (or two) in the ceiling. Does your kitchen have beams? Can one or two be installed?

Yes, green Tudor kitchens are everywhere but if you don’t like green, that’s out.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

Yikes! I guess I didn't clarify. I was thinking of getting porcelain tile that looks like brick, not real brick. I am in the process of researching where I might find such an item. I'm thinking the general contractor or the fellows who will be putting in the floor might know about that. If anyone out there knows where I might look, please let me know.

I have porcelain tile that looks like wood in my present house. So many guests have been amazed when they find out it's tile. No kidding. Tile with grain and texture has come a long way since the industry's first attempts to try to emulate other materials.

@tracefloyd, except for under the sink and the trash pull-out, everything will be full extension drawers in the lower cabinets. I refuse to get down on my hands and knees to find something deep in the back.

• acm
    last year

I'm a vote for doing it, if you can get the piece you showed. Seems homey and awesome!

• tracefloyd
    last year

Okay I guess I should have also mentioned any hard surface such as porcelain that is similar to brick or stone in relation to being a hard surface underfoot and for breakage. Plus it's cold.

• RedRyder
    last year

If you want “brick porcelain tile” instead of a real wood floor (which is more historically correct) just Google it. I found a ton of options (staggered installation, herringbone, herringbone-and-border). There are also articles on the pros and cons of real brick floors if you’re curious.

I vote for wood floors to go with what I’m assuming is already in your house. You haven’t shown us photos of the adjacent areas (is there a hallway? Is it near the living room?)

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder, there are no beams in the kitchen, and since the cabinets will go all the way to the ceiling on all four walls, I cannot see how to add one or two. Love the idea though.”

I shall give hardwood floors consideration.

• ptreckel
    last year

If you are smitten with having brick tile floors anywhere, perhaps in a back hallway or mud room? But I suspect slate would look great, too. But in your kitchen, warm wooden floors…yum!

• Gargamel
    last year

I was so excited to read your post! Go for it with an original one. It will be great. Not to be mean, but the replica was a bit of a disappointment…I think warmth is missing. Now you have motivated me to finally fix my possum belly table and move it into my kitchen. Thanks!

• Gargamel
    last year

I posted above without reading the comments. I think Red R has great points.

When I saw the refridgerator I thought at first that I recognized it as supposing to be an old icebox refridgerator. But it was ”off” to me because I only have had wooden iceboxes. I wonder what your fridge would look like with wood panels/tongue and groove replicating the old wood panels. I think then it would fit in more. Your stove is fantastic.

• joycedjay
    last year

I love Hoosier cabinets, but I think the It looks awkward crammed up next to the fridge. Have you considered putting one in the breakfast room? My daughter has one in their dining area - it’s a great place for storing table linens, candles, etc.

• coray
    last year

I think wood and white cabs, brick-looking floors, black range, white fridge, all together will look too busy, esp. in a not-so-large kitchen. (Also not sure about brick-look porcelain….doesn’t feel authentic. I like the idea of mixing in the wood, but I’d go with wood floors, as well….less busy that way. You might consider doing the entire fridge corner in wood, not just the cabinet next to it….you could do it in a more vintage style. I agree with Red Ryder: the range should be the “star”…..the fridge might compete. Good luck!

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

OK, Wood Floor People, I think you've won me over!

Thanks so much to everyone who's taken the time to chime in.

• eok
    last year

Late to the discussion … I wanted to do something similar in my very small 1928 English cottage kitchen. After much looking I couldn’t find an antique cabinet in good condition that fit into the available space. So instead I got a new hutch with glass doors, deep drawers and nice detailing, in the same cream finish as my shaker cabinets. I added glass hardware similar to original hardware elsewhere in the house. The rest of the cabinetry has chrome hardware. Happy to report it looks GREAT! It adds a lot of character to my vintage house without looking out of place.

BTW, I went with checkerboard marmoleum floors, which also looks great. But if budget wasn’t a factor I’d prefer my hardwood floors extended into the kitchen. Good luck with your project.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

@eok, thanks for your input. Is it possible for you to add a photo? I'd love to see what you are describing.

You know, I thought about a checkerboard floor very early on, but immediately dismissed it because I thought my space was too small, and it would overwhelm the other elements.

Gee, I hope you can take pics.

• RedRyder
    last year

@oldalgebra I vote against (adorable) checkerboard floors because everyone who has had them complains about keeping the white tiles clean. And again, we are dealing with a not-so-large kitchen and you need to avoid too much "busy-ness". That's is another reason for wood floors. They don't take away from other features - like your stove.

What do you think of a rich cream color for the cabinets?

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder I like the cream color idea as well (Maybe just ivory, not too much yellow - got a Benjamin Moore etc. color I might look at?). My refrigerator is not white-white, so I ought to be OK there. I still like idea of installing a white subway backsplash even though it is getting pretty cliche nowadays. So I will have to start looking for a subway that is on the creamy side too.

• ptreckel
    last year

Might I suggest that you look at Farrow and Ball paint colors? There is one called “Shaded White” which is, I think, perfect for you. A poster on Houzz, Louislinus, used it in her kitchen and it was gorgeous against white walls. If you search her thread here, you can see the finished kitchen. “Shaded White” is a sort of subtle mushroomy beige. Sounds weird, but isn’t. Louislinus was trying to emulate some of the deVol kitchens she had seen. She also, like you, embraced the use of antiques, including a gorgeous retro stove. In any event, check out Farrow and Ball for colors you might see in an English Tudor home. Gorgeous!

• ptreckel
    last year

(Red Ryder, you were a big help with the paint selections for that kitchen as I remember. The OP had a fabulous aqua retro stove!)

• coray
    last year

Question: are Farrow and Ball paints truly better than our (US) domestic paints? (I do know other companies can mix their shades, of course.)

• petula67
    last year

A good custom cabinet shop that could build to your exact specs but still get a vintage unfitted look is worth checking out.

• Kendrah
    last year

Farrow and Ball paints. I have used the real deal and I have used Benjamin Moore color match. The real deal is truly stunning. The colors change throughout the day in a way I have never seen paint do. It has a depth to it that no other paint does. Many people have commented on my cream walls and how gorgeous they are - it's Farrow and Ball. However, contractors don't love using it, I have found. And, I don't think it holds up or cleans as well as other paints.

I would not get a color match. It is impossible to match the depth of pigmentation in Farrow and Ball. You'll think it matches by holding up samples, but when an entire room is painted and light is at play, the color match is very disappointing. I used a color match in a former dining room and was very bummed out by the results. I am about to paint a new guest studio that will get a lot of wear and tear. My designer agrees Benjamin Moore is better paint for these purposes and suggested a color match to Farrow and Ball. I am not going to do it though. I am going to find a Benjamin Moore color instead.

@oldalgebra I'm thrilled you are considering wood floors in your kitchen. You will not be disappointed. I have had them in many homes and loved them. You can't beat them for an old home. And, they are great on your back when cooking.

• nickel_kg
    last year

Another thing about using one floor surface in a small house ... it will make the space less broken up, so it will feel bigger. (I have a small house, wood floors throughout.)

I look forward to you posting more pictures :-)

oldalgebra thanked nickel_kg
  • petula67
    last year

I wanted F&B paint for a cabinet. Contractor laughed and told me their cabinet guys mock the magic pigment. Then he sent a YouTube link to an old SNL skit about F&B paints. I should have told him to bugg*r off. I’m still going to use that paint somewhere some day.

oldalgebra thanked petula67
  • RedRyder
    last year

My life experience tells me that most of the time, when an item is more money, there is a reason that may not be obvious to you. Why is one couch $800 and another is $3000? You may not see it but the workmanship isn’t the same.

Paint seems a weird item to be “different” from one another but designers recommend higher priced brands for a reason. Anyone buy a new build house? The walls are “painted” but you won’t want to live with them.

• joycedjay
    last year

I had one more thought - the fridge you selected is stunning - my brother has 2 in their kitchen. It’s really needs to be featured on that wall, not crammed in the corner. It should be centered and cabinets built on either side (maybe some tall cabinets, as I don’t see any in your plan).

oldalgebra thanked joycedjay
  • coray
    last year

Interesting comments about Farrow and Ball! I think I will definitely try it somewhere, but hate hearing that contractors don’t like it☹️.

• RedRyder
    last year

@coray Here's a good mantra for home owners: "Contractors aren't designers. Don't take design advice from them."

Sad Story: I desperately wanted a marble basket weave tile for the master bathroom in my previous house. My contractor, who I had worked with before on many projects (including a huge reno of the house I'm referring to), talked me out of it. He thought the price was insane so I went for a plainer tile. I regretted that decision the entire time I lived in that house.

Don't ever believe that a contractor has good design skills. And if you pay someone to paint your walls, he/she has to use whatever paint and color you choose.

• RedRyder
    last year

Good point!

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

Oh! more posters joining in. just retirned from a weekend with grandkids. Fun to read about the paint and get some suggestions on color.

@joycedjay, i understand your point about featuring the refrigerator, but i need to create as long a run of continuous counter space in my little kitchen as possible, so it will have to be kept in the corner.

Yes, @nickel_kg, I quite agree about your reasoning concerning the floors.

Demo in the kitchen started yesterday (yes, on a Saturday.)

thank you everyone. i intend to start a new post with living room questions very soon.

• RedRyder
    last year

Post photos! Clearly there are several of us invested in your charming Tudor.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    last year

I’ll do that.

It will be several months, as there is an entire room at the back of the house that was not permitted and must come down along with the kitchen and main bathroom walls. THe roof has isssues that need to be addressed and so does the foundation - both of which will get attended to first. And the washer and dryer will have to be moved from a second non-permitted shack to inside the garage - although maybe that will happen last.

What I’m trying to say is, it will be a while before the Big Reveal.

• ptreckel
    last year

Oh, but you are talking to a bunch of “process” people…who love to watch things happen and HOW they happen! ;)

• RedRyder
    last year

@ptrreckel is right. We don’t need the “big reveal”! We want to see every step of the way! We’re an opinionated, nosy bunch in case you didn’t notice….

What’s with the w/d in a shack? Is that structure useful after the machines are moved back into the house? Or does it get demolished?

• Sandy Wu
    10 months ago

Any updates? I would love to see the Hoosier cabinet incorporated in your kitchen! I just found out about the cabinet and thought it’s very cool and would like to get one for my new kitchen

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

Have you started the renovation of the “ not permitted” part of the house? It looks like you’re planning the kitchen.