SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patomurph

How to tell if end cut sealant was applied

patomurph
last year

I just had a deck built, and invested in premium decking and railing for the sake of longevity and low maintenance. The contractor, who was absent for around 95% of the work (his guys handled the work, but complained about lack of direction from their boss - too many things to go into detail on here), slopped a few things along the way, including not having his guys put Vycor tape between the beams and joists, which seems standard practice in the wet Pacific NW. They only put it on top of the joists after I commented that we had specifically requested it at time of bid. A few experienced contractor friends commented upon seeing the completed deck that it appeared no end cut treatment had been applied to any of the exposed cuts on the pressure treated wood (beams, joists, stringers, etc), though the contractor insists some was applied. Given the other issues encountered during the project, I’m not entirely confident in his claim. Is there any way to verify whether or not sealant was actually applied to the end cuts?

Comment (1)