SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahsaccount24

first floor/kitchen layout feedback

My parents want to renovate their home to accommodate first floor living. I (and they) are aware that it would be much simpler and cheaper to move, and yet here we are! :) They will engage an architect. I am just looking to see if there are obvious improvements that I could suggest to them now so that they can prepare to think flexibly. I have played around with a lot of options but can't come up with ideas that don't have attendant flaws, so I am just posting the floor plan as built. The first image has the details. The second I put on a grid (scale = 1 square = 2 sq ft) to help me think through ideas. They are identical.

The non-negotiables are:

-Convert the garage to a 2 car garage and add a mudroom

-Add a primary bath

-Add an office (currently on second floor but needs to move for first floor living)

-Keep a (small) formal living room somewhere

Of note

-the boiler in the middle of the home can be relocated to the new enlarged garage

-they want to keep the fireplace, though it could be oriented differently (currently opens into the kitchen and into the living room)

-there is no basement

-they are open to removing the back stairs

-the view is towards the back of the house and is beautiful so ideally would be where a lot of time is spent during the day (mainly the office and kitchen)

-there are 5 additional bedroom and 3 bathrooms upstairs, as well as a very large bonus room

-currently there are two dining areas but going down to one is fine

Current pain points are

-the weird empty space in the middle (currently used for nothing)

-the island that has inadequate walkways around it -- an island is not a non-negotiable but there is no other prep space now, so it would need to be replaced with adequate prep space if gone. it would be nice to have island seating but if the dining is nearby it's not a big deal

-no appropriate furniture layout for the part of the current family room (in blue) in front of the fireplace so it is empty

It is usually the two of them, and then children and grandkids visiting (but can stay upstairs). Ideally they would not even really need to use the upstairs except when visitors come.

I've considered

1. moving the kitchen to the back - but i can't figure out a good flow from garage to mudroom to kitchen without trampling through some other living space

2. moving the bedroom to the back - but I can't figure out how to get a view to the back for an office

3. moving the bedroom to the middle (left side- pink) but I can't figure out a way to access the bedroom without going through some other room

No matter what I try, I'm stuck with that weird space in the middle, so I think I might be too close to this to think flexibly!

Thanks if you read this far and thanks to anyone who has any ideas/comments!

Comments (24)