SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Update #4 : Baby Thomas is OFF the ventilator!

Kswl
last year
last modified: last year

Update #4 Off ventilator this morning, back to high flow nasal cannula! They currently have him receiving continuous small feeds of DD’s milk through and nasogastric tube and as his dependence on oxygen diminishes (which they expect) they will switch him to a bolus of milk every 2.5 to 3 hours, simulating his pre-hospital feeding schedule. He looks so much more comfortable without the vent!

Update #3 He has not gotten any worse / his condition has stabilized. There is a clear path forward assuming he follows the same trajectory as most of newborn RSV patients. We are thrilled with this news! He is 19 days old today. 🥳 I can’t thank you enough for your kind messages, prayers and good thoughts. Coming here to read them and reading texts from others was about the only good thing about yesterday.

Update #2 Not good news: Thomas now has a bacteriologic infection and is on antibiotics. His breathing was more labored and he was put on a ventilator. We are still expecting a good outcome but it is very difficult to see him like this.

Update #1 he is still holding his own. He hasn’t improved significantly but he has not gotten worse and we are very thankful for that. I slept on and off all day, knowing that at some point II might need to go to the hospital to be with my daughter.

Sheesh and Maddie, my heart goes out to you both for the fright you’ve experienced— there is nothing that makes one feel more helpless than a truly ill child. Ally de thank you for sharing your neighbor’s good ending to a similar story.

Andrew and Thomas’ other grandma is a godsend, she is very practical and upbeat and Andrew is so lucky she was there. i spoke with her today and she described the onset of illness as , ”he was fine until he suddenly wasn’t.” The swiftness of it was surprising to her, and she is one of those knowledgeable supermoms of four.

It was very heartening to come here and see all the messages of support and concern for Tommy and the rest of the family. Thank you all so much, it’s uplifting and that’s the most helpful thing right now. I’ve let my close friends here know what’s going on and they have all offered any practical help which, at the moment we do not need. DS2 is coming tomorrow as we are getting DD’s psycho dog (the other grandma doesn’t need that aggravation right now) and I cannot even walk it— it walks me, iykwim.

We are all praying that the night brings healing rest for DD and SIL and a turn for the better for our grandson.

Comments (196)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County