SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Ideas on long hallway - wainscoting, paint, etc.

shead
last year

After being in our new home (farmhouse - literally) for two years, I’m now ready to tackle the design of this long, wide hallway that is the “grand central station” of our home. The left side is the wall of doors that go to the laundry room, hall bath, upstairs, basement, and a bedroom. The right side is one long wall.

We did SW Repose Gray for the hallway, which is what the majority of the house is painted and now I’m trying to incorporate some more color. I also feel like this hallway needs some wainscoting to help protect the outside drywall corners, which have just had to be repaired.

I’m leaning towards doing a white shiplap wainscot that is 66” tall (golden ratio for 9 ft ceilings) with a dark color above, possibly SW Iron Ore. I have a full wall of shiplap in my dining room and I love it so no hate….lol. I also like board and batten style, but I had it in our last house and it was a PITA to clean because the 90 degree corners caught everything.

Another option would be to invert the colors and do a dark wainscoting and lighter wall.

I would love to hear other suggestions, too :)

Comments (13)