SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mlecure

Need help with coffee table and tv stand…

mlecure
last month

How do I tie together a large u shaped brown sectional, a large stone fireplace in grays and browns with white mantle? I need a coffee table (no space for end tables) and a tv stand. Any suggestions? I’m trying to not only tie it all together but don’t need any more “clunky” furniture as it will weight down the space more. Do I purchase something with dark legs and a white top? The room is painted a little dark as well but it’s cozy in Michigan winters! I will try to add photos later.

Comments (8)

• mlecure
    Original Author
    last month

Photos for help. Will probably decrease size of tv soon. Don’t want to hang tv over mantle. Thanks for help!

• KW
    last month

What’s wrong with current TV console? I wouldn’t go for coffee table with white top - too drastic a difference with couch. Do the people sitting in middle of couch need foot rests? If yes, maybe look at round ottoman with tray set on top for holding things. You could use a fabric with cream & black in it to tie into both console & mantle. Or, if you want a coffee table, a round one that’s open with shelf underneath to make it less ”clunky” more airy. What’s usually in corner where tree is? A swivel chair maybe? Do you have any wall art in this room? That would add interest and texture w/o weighing the room down.

• mlecure
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for the help! Usually we have a wide, short blue chair with ottoman in the corner where the tree is. It’s looking a little worn so I’m hoping to replace it soon. I keep debating if I like our current tv stand. It is actually painted navy (I love blue). No wall art because I can never figure out what I like. I do usually put a large square painting on the mantle and a smaller rectangular white canvas in front of it with 2 blue vases. I like that but don’t know what to hang on the walls around the room.

I’ve thought about using an ottoman but would need a large tray so those sitting on both ends could set cups on it. Does such a thing exist while still being functional? Does black and cream fabric mix with a brown couch? Thanks again!

• KW
    last month

Yes, I do think an ottoman large enough for both feet & large tray is out there! If you’d post the dimensions of space in that ’U’ in center of sectional, I know you’ll get suggestions. You might list a $$ amount max too. Also yes, black, cream & brown do make a good mix. It’s all about the tones of each color. Since ottoman would be closest to sofa, matching the brown is most important. Black / dark navy is secondary & cream is, well, cream since the mantle is far away, Art - that’s a very personal thing - it must make you happy to look at it - not anyone else - just you and your family. In a home, art shouldn’t be a big decor item. That said, it should be appropriate for the space & the colors of the room should enhance the art - o r vice versa. Think about a swivel chair or recliner when you replace the corner chair! Blue is a nice accent for your colors - you could add that in to an ottoman fabric but would need to coordinate with new chair.

• mlecure
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! This helps!

• KW
    last month

I took a peek at your older posts - the fireplace update you did a few years ago is really a nice job! Really upgraded and changed the look of the room adding such a nice texture and interest to the room. You’ve gone a complete 180 in your furniture & wall colors too and what you have now really is warm and inviting & suits what you said the main use of this room is - TV watching & video games. The white you had was also pretty but much more formal.

• lisedv
    last month
    last modified: last month

I think your brown & navy colour scheme can rbe quite nice & cosy it just needs to be pulled together...

I show below an area rug in white, navy & gray to ground the sofa, accent pillows (navy, white, gray) with a white throw, and an accent chair in white & navy with a brown pillow. For art on the wall, if you can't figure out how to make your selection, I show below some wall & art decor sold as a grouping from Crate & Barrel. The round twig wall art is not part of the grouping but sold separately. With alll of this, your navy TV unit works well along with your gray stone fireplace.

• mlecure
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! This is so helpful!