SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_653312952

Please help with area rug and floor plan layout

Please let me know your thoughts on the pictured area rug layout. I’m finding it hard to figure out how to combine area rugs in this slightly irregular room.

The rendering of the room, a home office, is to scale. The room basically measures 11.5’ wide x 14’ deep, but a fireplace on one side creates a slight L shape. (Each square of the grid paper represents about 6”.)

A goal is to protect the floor under the desk chairs. Two desks face one another as shown, and the little squares/diamonds represent the desk chairs. 3’x5’ rugs are not big enough to fully protect under each chair, so 4’x6’ rugs are shown. There would be about a 1’ gap between the two 4’x6’ area rugs under the desks, as shown. I’m considering synthiteic jute (Ruggable re-jute) for those. The larger rug is 6’x9’ and leaves about 15” on either side of the rug as you enter the room, and would layer over part of the jute rugs.

Can someone who knows about area rug layout and layering area rugs please let me know if this is a good layout, or if there’s something else I should be doing? I’m finding it challenging to come up with a plan using standard sized rugs!

Thank you!

Comments (20)