SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_johnston17

wisterias - winter interest in trunks :-)

woodyoak
last year

I find the look of the trunks - the twisty stems merging, and the growth happening under the bark - to be more visible and thus more interesting once leaves drop and perennials die back (which makes the wisteria woody growth more visible.) The pictures below were taken this morning... Mind you, problems can become more visible at that point too....!

Chinese wisteria trunk:

Japanese wisteria trunk:

Those pictures raise/highlight a couple of questions for me....:

- What is causing the blue-green spots on the Chinese wisteria trunk and are they a sign of something that might kill or permanently damage the wisteria?

- The metal support posts used to hold up the Chinese vine originally to make it more tree-like and the metal supports for the Japanese one are distracting now but are too tightly gripped by the stems to be easily removed - plus I'm not sure if the vines will ever be sufficiently self supporting! You can see if you look closely that the Japanese one was originally supported by a wooden tree-stake that broke off after a couple of years but we couldn't remove it when we put in the angle-iron replacement supports.... (The Chinese one was planted in 2000 and the Japanese one in 2009....) Does anyone have any practical suggestions on what to do re the supports at this point?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus