SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoboston

Can I paint this fireplace mantle?

JJBoston A
last year

It’s such an eyesore but we can’t afford to have it replaced. Could I paint it?

Comments (64)

• RedRyder
    last year

It makes sense to buy one of the black and ivory rugs that Jan and Beverly suggested to start incorporating some black into the room. You can also add some other black accessories.

If it doesn’t work for you, then start thinking about Beverly’s other suggestion of tiling over the marble.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

Easier and a lot less money, is to get a drywall guy in there. Fur out the entire thing to ceiling, drywall, leave the tile, but only to code dimensions. That is ten inches above the firebox, and 8 or nine inches both sides of the firebox. Paint that exposed tile with bonding primer, and satin black black paint. All else? Trim white.

Top with a new mantel. Done in a couple days and paint!

So...........more like this. ( ignore the tv above )

Greenbrae, CA · More Info

I'm pretty sure you have way more tile above the firebox, than you would need to meet code.!

• Related Discussions

show me your cream painted wooden fireplace/mantle please!!

Q

Comments (12)
    BDL -- yes -- thats an original -- from a very late night auction on EBay! Really quite a fluke -- we didn't expect to get it! LOL! She will transfer back to the bedroom for the warmer months -- and another old portrait of lady in a cooler shade will be given the star position! LOL! BTW -- I do have a wonderful canvas transfer of a handsome gentlemen AND another one of a favorite Rembrandt too! So I believe in artworks of ALL sorts varieties and kinds! What matters most is that the artwork "speaks" to you -- and lives well in your home .... Jan
    ...See More

bookcases and fireplace mantle paint back

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks for all the advice, suggestions. I am up for painting the wood. It's cheap pine -- was supposed to be the beautiful white pine on the kitchen cabinets but didn't happen- long story. I'm afraid the coral will look too pink. It's hard to choose a red that works well. Keep coming with ideas and I'll keep thinking. Thanks again.
    ...See More

Should I paint my fireplace mantle bright white?

Q

Comments (10)
    You'll want to switch all your bulbs for LEDs in the 4K range to improve the light and the way color reads in the space. I would match the mantel to the trim color, or paint it a stricking black to match the firebox surround and hearth. Also plan to style it with fewer items and replace the mirror with art, since it is not reflecting anything beautiful or interesting you'd want to see twice.
    ...See More

How can I decorate my fireplace mantle?

Q

Comments (4)
    Aside from mantle decor: The lower half of the fireplace below the mantle is narrower than the upper half. It looks off balance and top heavy. The Emerald Green tiles sound lovely but they would accentuate the asymmetry. To remedy that, I would remove that 3-4 inches of baseboard on the angled section on each side and clad that vertical strip in your tile from wood floor to wood mantle. The upper and lower halves would be the same width. You could then even bring the tile floor-to-ceiling. Wouldn't that be spectacular? Then decorate mantle with white items to stand out.
    ...See More
  • JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Yes that’s exactly the problem - too much stone. Thank you for this, we have a guy that did an excellent paint/drywall job for us

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

I think with a look like this I wouldn’t even paint the stone, it would look good

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Although can you explain what you mean by “fur out the entire thing to ceiling?” Do you mean have him take out the tile and replace with drywall except to dimensions required and then install new white mantle?

• Jennifer K
    last year

If changing the carpet isn't enough, I'd remove the mantel and top row of tile. Fix the drywall and re-install the mantel lower (or replace with a different mantel). That will give better proportions and will be significantly less work than encasing the surround in drywall.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Fur out is this......... Millions have obliterated brick in this way.

You leave only the amount of tile exposed, that meets fire code. !0 inches showing on top, 8 inches at the sides: )

After that? Trim the drywall any way you want. Add any mantel you want. The materials to do it? Pretty darn cheap: )!

You had a good drywall guy? All you need and bit of trim. You can buy a mantel. Wood, painted whatever!
    My bet is you can paint it on a weekend, right?

It's easier than trying to remove a top row of tile and you end with a mess of broken whatever.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much! I have someone. Who can do this. BUT, the end of the first tile on top is 13” from the firebox. The sides are 3” and 4” and the entire thing is 72” wide. To keep the tile for inside the mantle could they cut one in half?? Also if we fur out the whole thing to the ceiling (except the tile that will stay, near the firebox inside the mantle), it will still be a huge area of white trim in the middle of a fairly small wall?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It does not matter how far up the "first tile is" : ) You are obliterating the stuff. You aren't even cutting a single tile!

Trust me on this:

All you need is 10 inches above, and 8 on the sides. To meet fire code.

A 72 inch wide hearth is pretty darn standard.

You don't have to paint it white, paint the drywall your WALL color! have the mantel in wood!

The problem in the room? Is not the size of 72 inch hearth.......it is that the windows alongside are too small by comparison.

I am all for kitties...BUT adding some bookcases, or a console both sides? As Simple as Ikea perhaps at some point? Would help immeasurably, and the windows would look less LOST in the wall : ) Leave room for the kitty to perch lol

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Ok great! What I meant is I think I want to keep the tile inside of the fire box and obliterate the rest of it. But yes, I think I will have him take out the remainder of the tile, replace it with drywall and paint it the wall color, and add a white mantle so it looks similar to your original photo, I really like that. And yeah, that kitty tower is the next thing to go ☺️

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You have to select something in a new tile or solid surface to have it to code, THE BLACK AREA on the little sketch

10//8/8.

You can not drywall to the edges of the fire BOX: )

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Oh yes I get that. What I’m asking is if I can KEEP the existing tile but just 10/8/8, and then add a mantle and have him drywall/paint the rest. Forgive my complete ignorance. I guess what I’m asking is if he can cut the tile and obliterate the rest?

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

I didn’t mean inside the firebox I meant outside the firebox and inside the mantle. My error.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

lol You scared me............He doesn't need to "cut" . He's furring OVER the unfortunate tile.

Look, show him all this, okay. The whole thread, the brick ugly pic above? He will get it!

I say that, because if you're going to cut? Cut it all off, pick something new, and STILL make it look like the sketch. See what I mean?

Your problems are proportions.....along with you hate the tile. There are a million porcelain tiles. Many in a 24 x 72 size, and dirt cheap!. As is drywall!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Are you a d.i.y. kinda family? You could try removing the tile yourself and apply a new material of your choice.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Not at ALL a DIY kinda family. I’m crafty and I can paint, but that’s about it. My husband can’t hang a picture.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The point is you can do ANYTHING you can pay for.

• freedomplace1
    last year

It could be beautiful. Could you move sofa so that it faces the window(s) ? Or are there windows on the other side of the room, too ?

• freedomplace1
    last year

This is an article about adapting sconces with puck lights - so they can be used without hardwiring:

https://www.citychicdecor.com/how-to-install-wall-sconces-or-light-fixtures-without-hardwiring-or-a-wall-outlet/

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I love all of these - that’s why I’m thinking of keeping some of the tile

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Ok everyone - I had my drywall person come in today! He is going to cut the existing tile (I actually like it if just some of it was encased in a white mantle.

He is going to cut the existing tile to code and then install a mantle, and drywall and paint the wall where all of the excess tile was the color of my walls.

Can someone help me find a mantle/surround? The firebox is 30” height x 36” wide so the opening I think needs to be at least 40”x52”? And the existing stone/tile will stay around the firebox and inside the mantle/surround if that makes sense.

• RedRyder
    last year

I would go to architectural salvage places with a photo, measurements and a tape measure. You might find something wonderful that adds character to the room. This is a hard item to buy online.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

No...it isn't, actually. Keep it simple. Pages below.... And scroll.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

I have someplace local I can go to get the mantle and found a drywall guy who can do it. He can either cut and save the tile to go inside the surround, or destroy it all and start over. Thoughts? Can anyone mock up my room to show me options? I think he’s just going to repair the drywall around the new mantle and paint the room color.

• RedRyder
    last year

@JAN MOYER - I stand corrected. I was thinking of something more unique but you're probably right about a simple white mantle and surround being correct for this house.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

The room is part of an open kitchen/dining/living room but it’s pretty small so I don’t think bumping out the wall to the ceiling will look right and would be too expensive. I really like this look though

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

These are nice

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

The granite in the kitchen is black and there is marble to match the fireplace on the island wall

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

You can tile over tile or marble. I did it in one of my homes that had large marble tiles very similar to yours…we just tiled over it with small white subway tiles and added a small wood shoe molding around the edge.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

This is a photo of it finished…I will try to find a before but it was from 15 years ago.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

That looks great but I think mine is too huge to tile over. It is 56” tall with a huge weirdly protruding “mantle” (more like an angular ledge) and 72” wide with about 2” of additional tile flat against the wall. The rest of it sticks out about 3-4 inches.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s a side view closer up

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

I think we are either going to rip the entire thing out, or take the top off (and maybe some of the sides?) and put a white mantle over it. I can’t decide.

• njmomma
    last year

Can’t wait to see the update!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Good lord. Smash up all the tile, Go pick a porcelain tile ( plain, black, whatever ) and create it new, in a better proportion. It's drywall and tile, not a gaping hole in your house. Buy a mantel surround, ready to go.......or skip the surround and just get a new mantel ! Wood, white.....

The only point? 10 inches of fireproof material above the fire box, and 8 each side.

Go online, find a look you really like, and do it.

No ledge stone. Please.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah it’s crazy right? Thanks - I think we’ll tear the whole thing out.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Jan part of the issue is the kitchen bar matches the fireplace and is about 15 feebly away from it

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

See?

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Oops

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Angle where both are visible

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You tear it off there too. The granite top is fine . You can drywall /trim that backside and match to wall color. Or get someone to trim in cherry as your cabinets.

There isn't going to be a zero cost : ) to anything.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Hmmm ok that’s an idea! The other thing I though of is what if I have our guy just chop off the top of the existing stone, leave the rest and add a mantle shelf?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You are stuck on the " chop off " . You're making this more of a decorative struggle than it is. Nothing is cheaper than drywall. !0/8/8 inches is ALLLLLLLL you ever need see of the tile at the fire. And you don't need to see it under that bar top either.

The charcoal colored area is ALLLLLL you will see of tile. Want a white mantel instead of wood? Fine. And the windows ARE too small.

I am sure a carpenter drywall guy can accomplish this simple task , which is almost diy

Cover it up.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Jan, I guess I see what you’re saying but I’m not sure when it’s so huge and the top “mantle” sticks out so far. Maybe. I’m going to a lumber yard this week who does mantels so I’ll ask.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

He will chisel the "mantel" right off...

He's going to fur it out the entire thing EXCEPT what you need for code. .

You are going to buy a mantel. There are a million of them ONLINE.

Stop figuring out "how" he's going to do it. Get someone in there and then??? DO it.

Honestly hon,,........you're making yourself crazy over this, and you're taking me with you.: )

Get a contractor in there. Skip the lumber yard.

Pick a mantel. Wood. painted. custom.......Pick a depth, pick a final length........

https://www.mantelsdirect.com/collections/shop-all-fireplace-shelves

• arcy_gw
    last year

I vote for SANITY. Leave it alone!! It goes with the rest of your house. Move on to something really a problem.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It doesn't "go" with anything but a black granite topped backing on a breakfast bar. ...and it's hideously overwhelming to the weeny windows alongside it. Sorry........uggabugga.

And it should "go" ....as long as the op can pay to make it go.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Well truth is I have two teenagers (one with a disability). I have PLENTY of real problems. This isn’t insanity, this is a fun diversion. ☺️

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Okay, as long as you are having FUN: ) Fun would be........it's prettier. Yes?

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Yes. I just need to walk into my house and feel happy about my surroundings. I do love my house for the most part but this fireplace is just my sore thumb