SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_837195096

Anyone build custom home with 12' ceilings vs 10'? Any regrets?

Mickey Watson
2 months ago

My wife and I break ground building our custom (probably) forever home in March here in Virginia on 16 acres in the countryside. It will be a 2300 square foot open floor plan modern farmhouse on an unfinished basement with attached 3 car garage which includes 660 SF bonus room. Our builder quoted 18.5% increase for the construction and finish of higher walls and to scale trim, doors, windows, garage doors, etc.

10 feet I think is a great height but looking online pictures of homes with 12 foot ceilings seem more one of a kind. We currently live in an older ranch style home with 8 foot ceilings with lots of divided rooms and lackluster airflow, which is probably influencing 'the more the merrior' feeling more particularly right now.

It's sizeable cost increase for sure when already building a custom home but seems in-line considering the scope. It's not like we can redo it down the road like landscaping. Again, we plan to make this our forever home and hope to make it a place to entertain and host holiday's. We would have to hold off another year or two on finishing the basement but realisitically that will be the last used hang out space (great room/kitchen, large gabled porch, garage).

Curious of anyone else's thoughts or experience?

Comments (31)

Sponsored Story
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Pro Spotlight: Give Your Traditional Home a Modern Perspective