SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

So what are you getting for your SO?

Sueb20
last year

We have so much stuff, but DH isn’t comfortable doing a no-gifts Christmas. Our original idea was to get a new LR rug, but that’s not going to happen until our elderly dog is gone. So we (I) decided on this rule: 5 gift max, and at least 2 have to be experience-type gifts (tickets to a show, for example).

So far I have gotten him a nice sweater, a few books (I’m counting them as one item), and a membership to a local museum including tickets to see a special exhibit there. I might also sign us up for a cooking class.

How about you?

Comments (74)

• sushipup2
    last year

No gifts, so surprises. We spend plenty of money during the year.

Sueb20 thanked sushipup2
  • DawnInCal
    last year
    last modified: last year

After years of not exchanging gifts, we (make that I) started the tradition back up after we bought our old farmhouse. There is something about this place that revived my Christmas spirit. :-)

We limit our gift giving to stockings and no more than 2-3 gifts. I've done well this year, I think. Hubby will be getting the following from me:

180z Snowfox stainless steel insulated beer glass. I was gifted a set and I like mine so much that I'm putting the other one in his stocking. The outside of the glass stays warm/room temp, while the inside keeps the beer cold for a very long time. Another thing I really like about this glass is that it doesn't develop condensation on the outside - no more rings on the furniture!

Available in many different colors, they have an elegant look to them. Snowfox has all kind of bar ware and I'm including a link not only to the beer glass but to their online store as well.

https://www.amazon.com/SNOWFOX-Insulated-Stainless-Stemless-Beer/dp/B07PNJV4LZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Snowfox/page/E2E83BCE-A6E1-4C99-9AD5-BE0E585BB371?ref_=ast_bln

• DawnInCal
    last year

Hmmmm...for some reason Houzz is making me do another post. Odd.

I also bought this leak proof trash can for his truck. It can hang over the back of the seat, be attached to the console or simply sit on the floor. It also has storage pockets around the sides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BBR36GNN/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And, then I found this nifty product. Nylon cleaning brush attachments fit most battery operated drills eliminating the elbow work that is often involved in cleaning grimy items like bbq grills, tires and rims, grout, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRLZ43B/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I think he is going to really like all of these things and I'm happy that none of them were crazy expensive.

Oh, almost forgot. I will also buy him craft beer from the regional breweries around here. I can buy six singles at the local grocery/liqour stores and all will be beers he hasn't tried before. I do this for Christmas and his birthday and I think it's his favorite gift of all time.

Sueb20 thanked DawnInCal
  • Funkyart
    last year

LOL @Jilly! I was thinking WOW! ... and then immediately felt like a terrible GF

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • Funkyart
    last year

I am NOT a flannel girl .. BUT.. I starting unboxing the packages that are arriving and my nephew's wife had a pair of PJ bottoms from Vermont Flannel on her list. I got them but thought, "oh ho hum"... until I opened them. This is the most deliciously soft, thick flannel I have seen.

They have limited styles and patterns but really really nice flannel ... and this from someone who might put flannel on her bed but never on her body!

Flannel Pants - Flannel Shirts - The Vermont Flannel Company

and while you are at it, who doesn't need a flannel "vong" .. sure to make your DH/SO happy

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • teeda
    last year

I'm adding to his Greenworks battery operated tool collection. He started with the weed wacker a couple years ago, then I got him the leaf blower, and edger and now. . . .a cordless indoor stick vac. He loves that the batteries are interchangeable (within voltage level). These are truly "toys" for him. We do have a lawn service but since retiring he loves being outside and working in the yard. He actually runs the vacuum around the house more than I do. So it's kind of a gift to both of us, lol. I'll also add a couple of clothing items, and fill his stocking with gadgets and tickets to something. He wants and needs very little--actually gets stressed by too much stuff---unless it's a tool!

Sueb20 thanked teeda
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Funky, you might consider the Newport jazz festival. Easier to get tickets, and I can only assume it’s more ”tame” than the NOLA jazz fest. We went to Newport Jazz for the first time this year and really enjoyed it.

I was considering BG in Northampton but who knows what we’ll be doing in June?? I may still get them. I personally don’t know anything about him, but DH is a fan.

Oh, I just remembered another gift that is in progress. I ordered DH a monogrammed dopp kit so he won’t have to pack his manly toiletries in ziplock bags anymore. This weekend, my friend and I are going to visit a bunch of local craft breweries and I’m going to get a gift card from each one and pack them inside the dopp kit, maybe along with a bag of pretzels or something. And I don’t think anyone would blame us if my friend and I sampled a beer or two along the way.

• Funkyart
    last year

Yeah, it is early-- many artists dont have any tour dates for 2023 yet. I may go to Northhampton -- I've been wanting to get back there and so far, the closest venue is Atlantic City which I am not really into. Still hoping he'll add a Hershey, PA stop.

I know you like some Blues artists (Tedeschi Truck Band) so I think you will really enjoy him-- he's one of my favorites to see.

Are you guys Patty Griffin fans? She will be near you in Feb -- she's another favorite of mine. I have lost count of how many concerts I've been to!

And one other I'll share-- Jonatha Brooke. She started out in Western MA as part of The Story in the 80s but broke out on her own. I love her work-- but especially love her performances! She's passionate and smart and thoughtful! Her tour schedule isn't out yet but I will be watching.

PS... you have GREAT ideas for your DH. And absolutely, you need to do a quality check on the local craft beers before you gift them!! All in the name of love!

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • User
    last year

Travel friendly slippers. Something a little bit thinner and easier to pack in a suitcase than the leather loafers he normally wears. Maybe these, but I can't tell from the picture if they will actually pack down thin enough, so I'll have to just order them and see.

We're travelling to Mexico City soon, so that is our actual gift to each other.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

We saw TTB this week! They are so good. The next night, DH saw Hot Tuna with a friend. Sorry but I can’t drum up any interest to see something/someone called Hot Tuna.

I think I know some of Patty Griffin’s music…off to google.

• nekotish
    last year

My husband and I give each other "hints." So he is getting a fishing rod that he hinted for and I am getting some perfume and a high quality bread knife that I hinted for. We buy each other a few little things (I got him a Yeti tumbler and a Yeti Coozi) but like to spend our holiday money on our "kids." Our daughters are late twenties but are both still setting up their households, so they are easy (and fun) to buy for.

Sueb20 thanked nekotish
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

My DH has been thinking that we need new pots and pans. I'm not sure if we do but I bought him some. So there!

Sueb20 thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Judi
    last year

I feel that a gift that is not a surprise is not really a gift. It’s just an agreement on disposition of assets.

Of course it's a gift; it just doesn't fit your personal definition.

Sueb20 thanked Judi
  • Judi
    last year

Also, does anyone else often accidentally click the "popular" heading that's near the thread at the top of the page and see the political threads of old?

Not until you mentioned it. Interesting.

Sueb20 thanked Judi
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

DH is getting a new Apple watch. It’s one thing he would never go out and buy for himself and will likely be surprised. He also was eyeing a Ryobi stackable, rolling tool cart system that DD and I have purchased together. The 3 pieces are priced separately so part of it will be from her. It’s actually pretty cool and allows for a storage spot for the batteries too, and it’s something he will love for organizing his tools and stuff.

He’s not a sweater guy so I don’t usually do clothing of any kind for him.

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

I have a stocking that my aunt knitted me when I was a child. But my husband doesn't have a stocking from his childhood. He has a Philadelphia Eagles stocking but he doesn't remember when he got it and it's not really something that he's interested in anymore.

I bought him a maroon stocking made by an Etsy seller in Minnesota. I bought a military nametape from an Etsy seller in Fayetteville NC near Fort Bragg (where he was stationed). And I'm going to sew an 82d patch on it. The 82d wears maroon berets.

In general we don't do gifts because we can buy stuff whenever we want to so this is unusual. I'm bad at waiting to give gifts so he knows about the name tape and stocking, but not what it looks like until Christmas.

When we used to go home to Phoenix to visit my family and nieces, we'd buy gifts there. We had a tradition with my brother and SIL. On Christmas Eve, after leaving my parents house, we'd go to a convenience store and try to find the cheesiest, yet most useful gift. We did pretty well for a couple years but then it ran out. Highlighters with tiny post-it's, battery packs, bundles of firewood, keychains with lights, etc.

Sueb20 thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • Springroz
    last year

I signed up for Consumer Cellular today, so my DH is getting a new phone, and probably a case, because he will need one.

Sueb20 thanked Springroz
  • Allison0704
    last year

DH and I stopped gift swapping when our children were late teens. I have never liked surprises and gift shopping causes DH a lot of stress. He has bought me a few surprises during our 41yrs that I did like though. His Bday is mid-December. Our anniversary is the 26th. We go out to eat or do something special together on those days, but still no gifts other than the occasional.

Sueb20 thanked Allison0704
  • petalique
    last year

Sometimes I cannot deal with surpises or even shopping. I may get lucky finding DH something that is surprisey, but what’s on the list for him at this juncture (junk-sure?) is likely to be:

— Rolls of colorful Painter’s Tape

— Drop cloths and a few rollers, brushes and pans

— Maybe a thin thermal shirt and some PJ bottoms

— Maybe socks -

— All pragmatic ”gifts” — I may toss in a book or some craft beer

Sueb20 thanked petalique
  • Faron79
    last year

Jeeeeeeeezzz Ladies-

Isn't ANYONE thinking "Something with 4 Wheels"?!?!?

;-)

Faron

Sueb20 thanked Faron79
  • localeater
    last year

@petalique RE Thermal Shirt My DH got theLL Bean River Driver Thermal shirt for hiw B-Day in November and has proclaimed it his favorite shirt.

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • localeater
    last year

I'm getting DH a tide clock. Our ability to launch our kayaks from the yard is tide-dependent and he is a bit obsessive about the tides. Plus, it's pretty. It will be customized to our location.

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Faron, a long running joke in our family is that my DH, whose birthday is near Christmas, so often got Birthday/Christmas presents instead of separate gifts. For his 50th, i surprised him with a BMW 750 li, hopefully making up for all those Birthday/Christmas presents.

Judi, don't mind me, I am buying DH mustard.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    last year

We need nothing. So we got each other Seaworld passes and I surprised my husband with an escape room advent calendar which we are doing together each day of the month (we love escape rooms and recently completed our 100th room together)

Sueb20 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • nicole___
    last year

Faron....wheels were 2019....just before they shut the world down. We both got a vehicle. Then a year and a half later I sold mine when there was a shortage of used vehicles for $4200 more than I'd paid!

Funky.....I purchased a Thermoworks gun from Home Depot....they discontinued selling them and I found a pile of them, $10ea! It's awesome. Can take a cats temp.

I got the JBL speaker @ Kohls ....if anyone wants one.(corrected)

Sueb20 thanked nicole___
  • Irish2
    last year

@Faron79 I think of you and your love of fast cars when this photo of my nephews car comes up in my photos.

• Funkyart
    last year

Nice deal on the thermoworks gun, @nicole___

I am not seeing the Bose at Kohls. Was it discounted? Can you share a link?

• nicole___
    last year

@Funkyart....Oooops.....don't see it. Black Friday sale. (edited) Dh showed it to me just now....it's JBL.

• barncatz
    last year

A blank notebook I saw on IG with the cover "My List of All the Dead Bodies I Buried in the Woods". JK, haven't a clue.

A gift certificate to a local restaurant is probably a really good idea. When I was on my recent trip with DD, I got him a lovely sweater, gorgeous alpaca socks, some shaving soap. It occurs to me now that I should have hidden all those.

• Funkyart
    last year

Yes, I knew they were at Best Buy (as I noted, I have purchased and have good experience). So you bought both the JBL *and* the Bose?

• nicole___
    last year

Funkyart...no. It was a JBL flip 5. Kohls....but I don't see it. I remember paying $57 for it. They had 3 in a locked glass case. Link Hubby was confused, he said it was a Bose...then went and got it for me...it was a JBL....like I first posted. We looked at the Bose.....he didn't get it. The Bose doesn't say "waterproof"....it says water resistant.....I think THAT won him over. He doesn't plan on submerging it...but for a construction site...it will do.

• nekotish
    last year

At the end of the (Christmas) day, it just about DH and I having something to unwrap. We occasionally surprise each other, and we always surprise our daughters. It's more about the love and laughter, reminiscing and food and games - the "presents" are just kind of a throwback to the "good old days."

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I like to shop at arts and crafts fairs and art shows throughout the summer, so I was finished shopping by the end of August. This year I bought 2 walking sticks for when we go hiking. They are made from trees where the honeysuckle vines wrap around the branches and the wood curls around the vines.

And I discovered "Lucy's Toys" blankets. Had to buy two artificial fur blankets that are amazingly soft and warm and well made. Lucy made her first one in 1986 for her husband and it is still on their bed today. I got the 58"x90" size. https://www.lucystoys.com/product-category/blankets/solids-and-prints/

• Allison0704
    last year

I always buy my cars. ETA: ...and I bought my DH his last SUV. :)

Jennifer, we have several walking sticks too. Mostly purchased when we had a second home in Colorado. Love the twisted ones you posted.

Beagles, DS and DGD1 are always going to escape rooms. That's a nice gift for you and DH to share.

• bbstx
    last year

DSIL accidentally told me the answer to Wordle today. He’s getting Chicken Socks for Christmas!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Very true @nekotish. Gifts have always been low-key for us. We celebrate the religious meaning of Christmas and it is about family and friends (and good food!!). : ) I do enjoy buying things for the Mr. and much prefer my gifts be a surprise. He picks good gifts! Neither of us would ever think of a car for a gift, but we are probably not that into vehicles LOL

• petalique
    last year

Mtn, my DH wants to be on your X-mas list.

@localeater Thanks for the shirt suggestion. DH tends to get too warm and that shirt looks warmish. Do you know? I bought myself a wonderful Heat 32 thin weight shirt 14 years ago and its still in decent shape. It had a scooped neck and in the winter when I wore it,, I sometimes wanted the scoop to not dip so low.

Good ideas, people.

• Faron79
    last year

Irish-
    DAMN!

A White C7 Z06!

Yummy......but mine would have to be Black, with more BLACK.🤓😈

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Well, I went out on a limb and bought tix for DH (and me) for the Buddy Guy show in Nashville in March. We will figure out the details of getting there and accommodations after Christmas! He has never been to Nashville; I was there a few years ago with girlfriends. He has been wanting to go, so this should be a fun weekend.

• Irish2
    last year

@Faron79 He’s 28 and single!

His latest ride is a BMW M3

I could be mistaken but I believe he kept the C7 Z06 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Kswl
    last year

My DH is getting a Loona robotic dog. They have, as predicted, resolved the latest patent challenge.

• OllieJane
    last year

Speaking of cars...I drive a BMW, which I will keep, but my hubby finally got me my Ford King Ranch truck! Well, I get it Wednesday! I have wanted one for years, but didn't want to drive "only" a truck and he has more of a work truck that isn't as fancy.

• DawnInCal
    last year

If anyone is getting a car, it will be me!

Hubby got a new F-150 a couple of years ago and now it is my turn. I just have to decide what I want. I'm conflicted between a small SUV or a sporty sedan.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Faron just asked for something with 4 wheels, not necessarily a car . . .

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

⬆️ harsh

A friend of mine in cooking club was recently extolling the pleasures of an outdoor pizza oven. She (and others at the table) said Gozney was the best. One woman had another brand (forget which) and gave it away to get Gozney.

I think DH would really enjoy this for entertaining, plus ....fire and manly stuff. My friend said the key is not to drive yourself crazy making a bunch of pizzas at once. She likes to set out a nice crudite and antipasto spread, and just do pizzas one at a time for everyone to share, almost tapas style.

https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox?variant=39404256460937

If you don't like the UFO ish one, there is always this:

• Funkyart
    last year

Ive never heard of Gozney so thanks for that. Ooni is the one I have seen most. I think it's a great idea ... I have gone back and forth on purchasing one but I don't really entertain enough to justify it. I would think your family would very much enjoy it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I am seeing them all again this week for a holiday cooking class and will have to find out why they liked this brand...

In the meantime, the Gozney is also J. Kenji López-Alt's fave.

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-backyard-pizza-ovens-review

One thing I do recall my friend saying is that you will quickly find you don't really want wood-fired. You can only put in small pieces of wood given the size of these ovens, and you have to keep shoveling it in given how hot they run. So def get one that allows you to use propane, too.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

My son has a pizza oven (I think it's an Ooni) and makes the pizzas one at a time for sharing as Mtn's friend suggested.

• Sister Sunnie
    last year

we bought one another heated vests