SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
k_brown73

December 2022: Building a Home

Keen B
last month

Welcome to the forum for folks planning, building or just plain dreaming about building a home. This is the place to share your questions and your successes, vent and brag. We are a kindly group--all welcome!

Comments (195)

• theotherjaye
    last month
    last modified: last month

That’s a bummer to hear - most of our fans are Minka. Maybe you just got a bad one? Might be worth ordering another to see if it’s any better - if it is, just return the priginal one as if it were the new one. If it’s not, at least you can return it and you’re no worse off than you were.

Our progress through what I’ve taken to calling the ”bits and bobs” is slow but continuous. We have pulls:

And fixtures:

I think these light fixtures may be too close to the mirror - maybe rotate them the other way (up)? It sort of looks like they’re huddled with the mirror down against the sink.

• 2rickies
    last month

@theotherjaye, love those cabinet colors!

@Joy M Frustrating! We are also buying a bunch of Minka fans. Is it possible it's an installation issue?

When I stopped by the site, the concrete had been poured but the forms were still up. (I was glad to learn that the forms are taller than the walls!) I'll see the big reveal next week. Here are a couple of pics:

• Related Discussions

January 2022 Building a Home

Q

Comments (487)
    There are adjustment hinges, but I think they are adjusted as much as can be. I will have the KD take a look. I need her to adjust a couple of cabinets and drawer, as well. If not adjustable, the only way I can think to fix it is to order a couple of pieces of matching stained trim to attach to the inside of one door. Thanks, Ash M!
    ...See More

February 2022 Building a Home

Q

Comments (519)
    @jkent9024 very cool shot. Our builder and my dh took shots of every wall in the framing phase to know where lines are etc. . They've just about finished with our exterior painting. Still have another coat to do on the trim and they are currently sanding and restaining our screened porch ceiling because somehow it didn't end up the color we had requested. @chispa Our pool contractor is on the ball and on schedule, and our pool has been filled. for almost a week. We should have been moving in in 30 days. Unfortunately the house now has 3 months to go. The first two weeks our pool contractor does a start up program but after that, we'll be taking care of a pool we can't use. There's always somebody working at the house each day, but nothing exciting happening. Some trim on the main level and as mentioned the exterior painting/staining finishing up. Painting inside should commence soon. Currenlty I'm focusing on our current home, getting it ready to list for sale on the 15th of this month. So much to do, so I haven't been online as much, but everybody's homes are looking great.
    ...See More

May 2022 Building a Home

Q

Comments (631)
    Such threads are a must. It helps me because I find many great things and advice, so I don't make mistakes while building my house. It is costly to build a house, but luckily I sold my old one, and I wasn't struggling with finding money and was concentrated on the planned building process. I thought I would be struggling with selling my old house, but I found a method to sell my house fast in Baltimore. I immediately got the money, and I was able to start building my new one and finish the building as soon as possible.
    ...See More

AUGUST 2022-Building a Home

Q

Comments (729)
    I'm constantly amazed by the talent of my carpenters. Whether it's my framers, whose work is the foundation for the stability of my future home, or the craftsmanship and artistry of my trim carpenters and cabinetmakers. This I ran into my builder for the first time in a month or so and we were talking about my extra trimwork. He said he's taken two future homeowners through my house after my cabinets went in and both times they were so impressed by both the cabinets and trimwork (built-ins and my master bedroom window). Now isn't that what every honeowner wants to hear. 🤩 ETA: ended the month of August with carpets and irrigation system being installed. Now I'm off to the September thread to see how the month begins.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    last month

@theotherjaye, something is off with the lights and mirror ... the circles are competing. Are you open to a different mirror? Maybe an arch top mirror? Taller than what you have now, so it starts lower and then has the arch top ending above your lights. And a bit narrower, so not overlapping with light globes. I think having a taller mirror will fill in the space better.

We've had people working on the house every day this week from 9-4. It seems we are finally getting the dimming modules for our automated lights! It will be a year at the end of January since we moved in. Let's see if we can get through the final items left to complete!

• theotherjaye
    last month

@chispa, exactly. It’s good enough for now, but I think I’ll look for something tall and skinny. These mirrors (I have a smilar one in the master) were cheap placeholders anyway - I usually prefer to find antique ones, or picture frames I can get mirrors put into. That just fell back onto the todo list after falling off for lack of time.

We are in a similar place WRT our smart 4-way dimmer switches. I bought what purported to be some, but our electrician says they won’t work. Per our electrcian, the manufacturer of all of our other switches is supposedly coming out w/some later this year*, so we’ll just do dumb switches for now and swap them out.

*I’ll believe this when I see it

• Naomi
    last month

Back home and we FINALLY got our last island pendant installed!!

Fighting with landscaping still and they came and rerolled the sod.

Tile guys coming next week to fix some grout that is missing.

Then it’s just the painters and we’ll be caught up.

It’s very cold and windy and I really need to walk around the windows and test for leaks. But I’m jet lagged and tired.

• nhb22
    last month

Joy M We purchased two MInka fans through Lamps Plus. By the time the fans were installed, the return window was over. The fan in our bedroom had a faulty motor. It hummed, but would not turn the fan. It took some fancy 'word talk' but Lamps Plus finally agreed to replace the fan. However, it took several weeks before we received another because they were backordered. The new fan makes a humming sound that would be annoying if we did not sleep with a white noise machine. I am not sure that I would purchase another Minka.

Did you check the balance on the fan to see if the clicking will stop?

• Kelly M
    last month

Thanks for a great read. I am at pencil to paper stage of our build and harvesting lots of good stuff here.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last month

@Joy M @nhb22 appreciate the comments regarding retail & online vendor service. We're reducing or eliminating our use of various online vendors on behalf of clients due to these practices. Same with a few vendors with physical stores.

Keen B thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

Chispa- they did miss one outlet & we marked it today.

A few photos of the great room

• MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

And a few more

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to everyone!

• theotherjaye
    last month

It’s really coming together

Sewing room:

Office

I love how the white ceiling fans disappear into the (not white) ceilings

Hallway looking back

Hallway to sewing room and office:

Liviing room:

kitchen:

Dining room and kitchen

• Joy M
    last month

@theotherjaye your home is coming together beautifully. Great style!

• nhb22
    last month

MSO_JEO MJ and theotherjaye - How exciting for you both.

Hard to believe that we have been in our home for over a year now, and most of that is well behind us. Still waiting to have a few things adjusted.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

• chispa
    last month

I've missed the Nola photos!

We are also coming up on a year and still have things to finish. We had people working at the house every day last week and I'm tired of it.

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    last month

Merry Christmas. First Christmas in our new home, as yet unfinished, but we are loving it.

We've got 4 more inches of snow now, but I took this a couple days ago.

• nhb22
    last month

Very pretty tree, Buzz Solo in northeast MI.

Thanks chispa. Nola has been active with her visiting cousin this week. They are sitting in my husbands lap. He has had the flu for the last few days, and now I think I am coming down with it. My son-in-law also started coughing yesterday. Fun holiday!!! 😷🤧🙄

• cwcf185
    last month

@nhb22 l hope everyone is feeling better soon!

• Joy M
    last month

I did contact the Amazon seller and they are going to replace the fan. This is the first time and probably the last that we’ll use Minka.

Installed our under cabinet lighting a couple of days ago and I definitely missed having it. We roughed-in receptacles in the cabinets for LED tape lights. Backsplash is scheduled for this week and we’re currently working on board & batten style trim in the foyer like we did in the master bedroom.

• Keen B
    Original Author
    last month

@Joy M Your kitchen is lovely. Let me see the foyer when you finish. We are doing that in our bathrooms (already did it in one, but don't have picture for you.)

• Keen B
    Original Author
    last month

Well, everyone who's moved in, or moving in, or very very close to finishing...I'm suffering some very grumpy envy. When I was delivering our first son, I was hooked to a special monitor so the nurse could see all the Moms' contractions and vitals from whatever delivery room she was in. This meant I could see new mothers get hooked up in at least nine separate delivery rooms, watch their contractions progress, and then see that they'd delivered and vacated the room for the next Mom. 36 hours later, a revolving door of babies had come into the world and I was still pushing and laboring away...

I'm beginning to feel like that! Some of you started before me and have now been in for over a year. Some of you began soon after me, and nine months later, a home! Some started a YEAR after me, and are now finishing up and packing to move in. I swear, if those of you who are in the foundation stages have moved in before we finish I'm going to give up.

Not that I am not thrilled for you all. But I am so over this house. Will this baby ever get here!

The finishing stages should be the most fun because it's the lovely, personal decor, but it's been stressful with my--as I've complained--very involved, mind-waffling DH. Then making decisions from so far way. without being able to hold things up in the space, etc...I'm ready to just say stick whatever in there, and be done with it, LOL.

I need some pick me up posts!

• Joy M
    last month

Keen B I completely understand and have been in the same place! Our build took 16 months and wow it was disheartening sometimes. I think the hardest part was living temporary for 10 months in an ok house. I’m definitely thankful we had a place to live temporarily but don’t think we’ll do that again. Our after move in punch list is definitely longer this build. Keen B what phase are you at?

Keen B thanked Joy M
  • Keen B
    Original Author
    last month

@Joy M Like you, we are owner builders, too. Right now, we are "sort of" in the finishing stage, but all over the place too. Outside paint, halted during freeze, so two sides finished. Interior paint in progress right now. Interior doors nearly ready to be hung and trimmed out. Two bathrooms fully tiled and batten/boarded--their sinks, toilets and showers are up and running. Powder room--floor tiled, but no sink, trim or light. Primary bath--the floor is tiled, but not grouted--waiting for custom grout color; shower tile still being delivered. Whole house light fixtures (mostly) and fans ready to be installed once interior painted...fridge is in, but stove is not, and we rigged a propane tank to our tankless water heater, still waiting for county to bring gas line to our end of street...

I've already finished out kitchen cabinet doors and trim face (posted pics of my stain job afew weeks ago), the drawer boxes are done, but cabinet boxes and island not started. And still no decisions about counters...

Floors and staircase will be last. The wood is waiting, stacked in two rooms.

The biggest thing to still be built are the porch roofs. The yard will be ignored until long after we get a CO.

• Joy M
    last month

Keen B how much are you subbing out compared to self performing? We subbed most of the work out, but there were still so many details for us to do. My husband did all of the electrical and that took a long time. The work we did self perform was just us, no family or friends helping out. Delays out of our control were definitely frustrating ie weather, subs not showing as scheduled thus pushing other activities back on the calendar.

last month

@Keen B, don't worry, remember DH and I broke ground in August 2017 and though we're living in the house, it's still not done, the biggie being no central heating. I'm sure you'll be nicely tucked in before we are finished. I'll be hanging around this thread for a long time yet. 🤣

• Kyla McSweeney
    last month

@Keen B I feel you. We closed on our land in October 2020, and all we have is a foundation! I am so frustrated, and dealing with my husband who takes all the anger out on our builder is even more difficult.

• MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

@theotherjaye what color green is that in your office? We are probably going to use Softened Green from Sherwin Williams - I have always been a fan of muted/sagey greens- and am glad to see them coming back "into stle". We went to a home show a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised to see how many bold colors the decoraters were using.

The sheetrock guys started taping/mudding today. It's still a bit cold here (highs close to 40) but will be back up into the 60s from tomorrow through the weekend. I am hoping they make quick work of this.

We also started the process of converting our construction loan to a mortgage today. My husband is a banker & we should be able to get a 0.5% discount on the interest rate along with some other credits for continuing with them. I wasn't too crazy about continuing to work with them, but if it saves me enough money, I will. hahaha We did talk with one of the brokers there last week (she can't handle our loan because of him being an employee, but she gave us advice). We are targeting the end of February (which seems aggressive to me, but the builder feels pretty good about it).

• Keen B
    Original Author
    last month

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI and @Joy M and @Kyla McSweeney Thanks for the been-there support. We found land in 2016, closed early 2017. We started Engineer sign offs early 2018, permitting began 2019. Took a break when our closing on owner-build loan was delayed by bank for Covid. Cleared lot early 2021 after final permits signed...marked off and poured foundation Spring 2021. (Yes, folks new to thread, if you are building custom on a "fresh" lot and not inside a builder's planned neighborhood, those can be the timelines...). The earlier part was not as frustrating as the end, haha. I know we will get there, but sometimes the end feels like a mirage.

@Joy M We have one super multi-talented employee, essentially a skilled GC who is a close friend of ours, on site at all times working, even when we are not there, too. Often our son is there with him, along with folks we hire for labor. We subbed out A/C, drywall and mud, foundation; everything else has been up to us, so two years isn't unreasonable, but like you and Buzz, I'm sure there will be many small things ongoing for years...

• Joy M
    last month

Keen B I told my husband we need to do similar if we build again (he definitely wants to). Having someone to help us so all of the physical labor doesn’t fall on him would be a huge benefit. I just haven’t figured out yet the compensation for such person.

• Keen B
    Original Author
    last month

@Joy M I know; we pay our main person a salary and the laborers an hourly wage. The amount is negotiated for each person on our payroll. My DH in the business hires folks all the time at the company where he works, so he knows what going rates are, typically. We have been incredibly lucky in this relationship, because such talented, professional help is not easy to find.

I guess you'd have to look into what's normal for your area.

• MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

The painters were out today to start caulking the exterior so hopefully they'll start painting very soon. Things seem to be rolling right along.

edit to add - I just got a message from the builder that our bricks will be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday also.

• Joy M
    last month

We finished the board & batten in the foyer today and wow I love it. Definitely adds some classic cottage style to the space. Kitchen backsplash starts tomorrow.

• Joy M
    last month

I found this formula online for laying out the board & batten trim if anyone is considering installing it.

Keen B thanked Joy M
  • MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

This is from our security camera that 450 feet away from the house- and I cropped the photo.
    they started painting today and you can get an idea of the color. The garage will have brick.

• theotherjaye
    last month

@Joy M that looks great!

@MSO_JEO MJ your photo is tiny, but that looks like a nice greenish grey color that should look nice with brick.

• MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

Hahaha yes it’s tiny. It’s the best I can do until we go out there on Saturday.

This is the original. The color is “Messenger Bag” from Sherwin Williams. The trim, posts, and porch ceilings will be "Extra White", also from Sherwin Williams.

• MSO_JEO MJ
    last month

And this is the brick we chose. We will be using a gray mortar, however, not the stark white that they used on the house in the photo. we went around several neighborhoods with new construction to get an idea of what brick was readily available in our area right now. This one was in our old neighborhood (where our builder also lives). We also went to a couple of brickyards here but it was easier to look at a house as we could walk around and see the brick in different sun exposures. We had some 2x2 pieces of plywood with paint samples that we took also.

• theotherjaye
    last month

@MSO USA LLC Very nice! That’s going to look great.

• Keen B
    Original Author
    last month

@MSO_JEO MJ I love the combo, too. And @Joy M That formula is like those logic puzzles, if A sits next to B, but cannot sit next to C and D spokes and won't sit next to...either way, the result is great.

• Joy M
    29 days ago

Backsplash in process. One wall is installed. One to go and grout both.

• 2rickies
    29 days ago

We have concrete! Only a few months ago we weren't sure if it would be feasible to dig a basement, but it worked out, and I'm relieved for many reasons. (Plus, it means I'll get a dedicated exercise room. 😊)

29 days ago

Well, everything is looking good. DH and I are ending the year on a whimper, we both came down with covid shortly after Christmas and then I got to experience how fast ambulance service is in these parts as I fell for a reason I do not remember and hit my head, I assume, on my granite bathroom vanity. I don't remember a lot. Long story short, huge bump on my forehead, no broken body parts, plenty of bruises, and about 15 minutes for the first responders to get here. Anti nausea drugs for the concussion. Happy New Year!!

• Keen B
    Original Author
    28 days ago

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI MY GOODNESS! So glad you survived. I guess you discovered just how hard granite is, LOL! And Covid to boot. I hope you have a restful NYE and a wonderful 2023. Let's hope we both get closer to our CO...

• 2rickies
    28 days ago

Oh no!!! @Buzz Solo in northeast MI that sounds painful! Hope you heal quickly!!!

• theotherjaye
    28 days ago

Yikes, @Buzz Solo in northeast MI. Take care! Concussions are not to be trifled with.

Art got our network rack mounted today while I was at the store, so we’ll probably go over tomorrow and install the router and access points.

Our oldest TV died last night, so now we need to get two new TVs for the house. And mounts. I’d completely forgotten about those - in our rental we just have TV’s on their feet or propped up against things, but we’ll want to replace all of the mounts we left when we sold our old house.

• nhb22
    28 days ago

Buzz Solo in northeast MI - So glad that you are alright. How scary! Sounds like you had a fainting spell with your Covid.

I did get worse and have been dizzy all week. DH and I both tested negative for Covid with home test. Both of us still coughing at a good clip. SIL did a home health conference and was diagnosed with bronchitis. Prescribed a steroid and inhaler. He is a little better. Thankfully, he and our daughter have left after a week long + visit.

Taking Christmas down will take me as long as it did to put up. Just don't feel like doing much right now.

Get better soon and stay safe. Happy New Year everyone!!!

• Keen B
    Original Author
    28 days ago

NEW THREAD ALERT! January 2023-Building a Home

(Wow--2023! Happy New Year, you crazy adventurers!)

• cwcf185
    28 days ago

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI Goodness! I hope you're feeling better soon!

@2rickies Congrats on the basement!

See everyone in the January thread!

• K M
    28 days ago

I too got Covid right after Christmas. It’s been pretty mild, but I was concerned as I have been training for the Boston marathon. Was able to get in a long run, 8 miles, today 5 days after + test, but it was harder than it should have been. Hope to get back on track. Here’s to 2023! May many of us complete our homes this year!

• Cherilyn Cornwell
    23 days ago

Did this comment disappear?

• Joy M
    23 days ago

@Cherilyn Cornwell there is a January thread below.

Sponsored
Grow | Life Outdoors
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County Landscape & Design Swimming Pool & Patio Construction