SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdemonti

How to Furnish This Living Room from Scratch?

tdemonti
last year

How would you furnish this living room from scratch? I am retiring soon and will finally have time to shop. Budget is not a concern at this point.

It is used for TV watching and we'll likely purchase a larger but not large TV. One or two rugs?

I would consider a swag light somewhere. Furniture is pushed back during the holidays to accommodate folding tables.

I prefer pieces that will eventually fit well in a smaller, downsized home.

Comments (58)

• ShannonMarie
    last year

I love Jan’s layout but would do tv on side where dining is as angle is better. Maybe slim table below. chair with tall lamp in the corner instead for reading or nap.

tdemonti thanked ShannonMarie
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

Where is the kitchen in relation to the dining room on your floor plan? You don't mention that you take meals here, but if the kitchen is up those stairs, I would not like to navigate those with a plate of food or serving pieces to eat in what you've marked as the dining room. Is there room upstairs for dining? Jan's plan is appealing, but if this is the dining room too, you might want more separation between living and dining, and you'll want dining near the kitchen. For seating, you can't beat a 3-seat sofa and two comfy upholstered armchairs. Swivels can be an excellent choice for the reasons Lyn mentioned. If there's a good chance your next home may be a condo or apartment, you probably want to consider apartment scaled pieces. A backless settee can work nicely as a chaise for relaxing or reading. That might fit well under the window with some pillows &/or bolsters. You could arrange a "U" by floating a sofa on the dining side of it and the chairs on the entry side. Putting TV right of the stairs on an articulated arm can make it easy to view from all seats.

Tower Place Sebastian Settee · More Info

tdemonti thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Related Discussions

Furnishing apartment from scratch, totally stuck on the main room

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks! The entire wall is a large door (photos attached). We're mostly attached to the island idea for extra storage for microwave, trash, etc. and also because we generally don't "sit down" to dinner, in our current home we eat more at the bar seating and the table has turned into a catchall for laptops, etc. I feel a dining table would go pretty unused, while an island we would definitely use. Any ideas for how to use the island in this plan? I also like the black and white floor plan but I think it's deceiving as when trying to scale it with actual furniture I haven't been able to fit it. Additionally, the way most people have arranged their apartmnt in the building, with the couch in the entryway, I feel really disturbs your view when you first walk in. Also, any ideas for what to do with the nook area?
    ...See More

How do you furnish a small room that is a living room/kitchen combo?

Q

Comments (4)
    You gotta draw it on graph paper, and then cut out pieces the size of an apartment couch, etc., and move them around. My first idea is couch facing windows with a cafe table behind the couch, and TV in the corner. You could also try couch floating with it's back to the fridge wall and bedroom hallway, and a TV on the bottom wall with a dropleaf table there too (chairs on left and top sides). It might be more flexible to try arranging 2-3 small armchairs instead of a couch, as easier to allow walkways and still have a conversational arrangement possible...
    ...See More

How would you furnish this huge coast living room?

Q

Comments (10)
    A floor plan should be your first step, with exact measurements, etc. Find a good on line room planner and experiment with different configurations, based on how you want room to function. You won’t know what room can handle until this is done and until you have determined your needs, ie: couches, sectionals, and chair combinations. Two identical sized seating areas grounded by two rugs. Or each side different Or a really large area with a smaller intimate space Would you like seating by window, a place to nap, does a tv need to be considered, etc Once you have layout figured out, there will be all the other decisions. Size of furniture, best fabrics for your lifestyle, accessories, etc. It may be worth hiring someone and with the discounts they benefit from, it may be worth it if you are buying for the whole room from scratch
    ...See More

How Would You Furnish this Side-By-Side Living Room and Family Room?

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for trying to help. I will answer your questions which also helps me to think it through: no children, but visiting grandchildren. -it is not a new build, but a remodel of a 50’s ranch. The addition is the covered porch and the extension of the kitchen. -our “games room” (ping pong) will be in the finished basement. -my sense is that the family room is less formal than the living room and will be for relaxation and TV watching. Maybe incorporating a desk. -I could switch the family and dining but it would be an awfully large dining room that wouldn’t get much use as it’s just 2 of us most of the time. The addition will have large windows across the back. Lots more light than the room now labeled family. Planning a bench under the windows. Plus the new kitchen/dining will have a different floor from the rest of the house. If this helps and you have other ideas please share. Thanks again.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

A round table and chairs is more than dining.

It's a puzzle left out to work on, it's a place to sit with only cocktails and charcuterie with another couple. It's a place to sit and get your taxes ready, it's bridge.....it's a lot of things. The OP could mimic much of this right now with what she has.

Beyond that? There isn't a great way to to do TWO seating groups, the room isn't big enough or deep enough. They have that set up now and it doesn't look good : ) apologies added

Resources don't seem to be a huge issue. If you've lived like this for a couple years? Get an interior designer, make the process joyful. Everyone is good at something.....not to mention life is short. Do it now, enjoy it now. It's more than time to live a little. Before you run OUT of time.

Right now? Mimic this with just what you own,,,

Move the tv armoire to the opposite corner, put the leather love seat under the window...etc.There's a small table off in the corner? Put it left of the sofa in the new location. Get a feel for how it could work. Will it be perfect? no. And next time? ONE piece of leather. Warm the place up . Rug...fabric ...decorative pillow, maybe a woven natural shade in the bay window.

tdemonti thanked JAN MOYER
  • tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

Jan, I've dwelled on this for a long time and your plan is one I have not considered. Thank you. I have a rug and pub set, and will try it. Thank you very much.

Decoenthusiast,the kitchen is behind the sofa in these photos. We sold the dining set because it was rarely used. The folding tables do the job. The cabinet on tge upper level serves as a bar piece.

The window faces the street and we are set back about 40'-50'. I opted for the sheers because I see too many horizontal treatments become crooked.

I always understood to keep the TV on the wall with the window to avoid glare. Are newer TV screens glare-free?

Here's a pano from the other wall.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Horizontal window treatments need not go askew.

I think you deserve better than folding tables when even a 42 inch diameter table will seat two couples!

Honestly..... you deserve more than the sterile surroundings I see. Clean, crisp, uncluttered is great. But it CAN be welcoming as well.

Look into some local pro help. Start with that concept I showed you with a simple rearrange.

TV's by the way? No longer must they be ugly. They can be ART. LITERALLY. Look online at the Samsung Smart Tv's.

Most important? Rather than stress, assume the job on your own? Get some design help in there. Interview a few...: ) Your money will go further, with less stress, and result? ....far more likely to be free of regrets.

• Allison0704
    last year

Is the area where the bar cabinet is located your entrance? Looks like a decent sized area that doesn't currently have a purpose.

• Kendrah
    last year

A few questions about useage - do you read in this room, do you like to sit in a chair, do you use a sofa for napping, how many guests do you have in this space when the furniture is not moved out of the way for tables?

I would consider pieces that help as the body ages - higher seat height, good arms on chairs. No low to the ground MCM pieces, and no setees. Keep within reach a surface for drinks, reading glasses, your phone. And consider good reading lamp placement.

The furniture you have now has a lot of heft to the arms and is bulky looking. I would get something with more slender lines that will look appropriate in a potentially smaller space.

Also consider solid neutral colors that will look good no matter where you place them in your current space or in a downsized home. I cover everything in black poly-linen and my furniture looks great in all the five homes I've lived in over the last two decades.

tdemonti thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Everything in black linen.........

I think, I am depressed: )

Per the op:

"It is used for TV watching"

This is where we entertain/visit, watch TV, read, occasionally take a nap. The pieces shown are from a prior house. I have no favorite style. It's a clean slate"

Post some rooms that truly APPEAL to you. I always begin that way with a client. I often hand them a stack of design books to peruse at leisure. Tag anything they love.

Do I reproduce it? No. I interpret it. I get a SENSE of what they like: ) Then? I tailor it to suit lifestyle, the space , the needs, while also considering what if anything will stay in the space or be new to the space. That includes art, rugs, case pieces etc.

The OP can do the same with some local hands on help.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@JAN MOYER I understand and will work with a decorator when I begin shopping. Most of our dining entertainment takes place outside. The folding tables are primarily for holiday family gatherings. I have plenty of things to hang on the wall : ) I plan to have sheers made for tge slding doors. Easy to care for

Allison, the space where the bar cabinet is located is what was designed to be a dining room. It has four "doorways" including from the garage which is too much traffic/clutter for a dining area.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Get the designer before you start shopping : )

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

Oooh. The two better furniture stores here have design service. Designer or decorator?

(Apologies for so many questions.)

• freedomplace1
    last year

Tray tables are very handy. Nesting tables could supplement, and could just be useful, in general. You say you do a lot of dining/entertaining outside. Is it a covered area? If not, can you erect a heated tent during the holidays?

I would get motorized shades for the windows, and put the tv in front of the windows - in a tv lift cabinet. https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&sxsrf=ALiCzsYUee7iAwcIOWx0OpSCEjGPppBDig:1670337908996&q=tv+lift+cabinet+video&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifs-HNneX7AhVjGFkFHVoMB2wQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=414&bih=715&dpr=2#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ea842510,vid:RZM-yR7JFM0

• freedomplace1
    last year

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

There was a time when I entertained like that.

• freedomplace1
    last year

What about some type of electric fireplace? These are (very) rough, but just to (hopefully) show the general concept.

tdemonti thanked freedomplace1
  • tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

Actually, I had a fireplace company here when we first moved in. Some changes were made since.

Maybe something like this. https://ignisproducts.com/shop/vu-freestanding-ethanol-fireplace/ i remember seeing one on wheels a whole back. Hmmm.

• freedomplace1
    last year

That one is very nice! Actual fire! This is a very stylish and smart choice.👌

Then, with the tv in a lift cabinet, in front of the windows { https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ogIlWb24G_A } I think it all works well. I think with that tv placement, you would also be able to see the tv better from the sofa (your current sofa positioning is very good, btw). And with some of the available tv lift setups, you can also swivel/angle the tv.

This is just one of the lift/cabinet companies; but on this link there is a lot of info about various lift/cabinet options, etc.

https://www.wildwoodtvliftfurniture.com/the-total-guide-to-tv-lift-cabinets/

Various prices - and some are pricey. Like this company, American TV Lift (shown directly below) for example; they have some nice, ’modern’ ones - but you definitely don’t have to pay this much for a tv lift cabinet! I’m basically just showing these for the style(s)/and as general examples.

This Wildwood company (below) is the one on info link I provided further up. Their cabinets are overall much less costly than American Lift.

And you can find them for less. Lots of options as you shop around. Plus, you can have one built, or customize a pre-existing cabinet with a tv lift mechanism. You can look on Etsy.com, too; many talented furniture craftsmen on there.

There are also some tutorials online/on YouTube - for ‘DIY tv lift cabinets’.

You may very well know all of this, already! But just passing on some info and ideas, just in case, since I did make the suggestion. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

" The two major stores here have a design service"

And it's "free" ( I added that )

Fact: That person is there to sell you THAT stores selection of merchandise. Is that bad? No. It's how he/she makes a commission. But the same person isn't shopping or sourcing anywhere else on your behalf.

You're old enough and wise enough to ask yourself if anything free ever turns out to be free. You could reply, "Gee Jan, your plan up above was free" True. But I don't need to execute my plan, don't need to ensure that selections harmonize , are appropriate in scale or any other detail. ......nor do any or all of the things I would do for a paying client. : )

I'd look for a local independent, whose only loyalty is to you and that room. Use whatever these stores are, if you like, to test drive seating and ensure your comfort. Depending what these stores are .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

On another note:

Time. The supply chain woes in the home furnishings area have actually worsened , not improved. Why: A collision too long to explain other than I finally installed three client to finish this week, all three having waited 14 months for sofas and chairs.

I have a few others where I am waiting far less time - we took NEW from a few sources, consignment, or on sale with great comfort/ quality with unappealing fabric .....and are being recovered.

Seating is the CORE of a room. You can't make a good looking room, or a comfortable room without it. If you are into being entertained".... there's an excellent podcast with the CEO of Rock House Brands online. Definitely worth a listen. "Crisis management".............indeed.

https://businessofhome.com/articles/alex-shuford-of-rock-house-farm-on-the-war-for-the-future-of-furniture

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@JAN MOYER thank you for the link and fo reminding me about "time." Your plan really does open the door. I appreciate that you enhanced the challenge (window).

i can't help but wonder how Sophie would respond.

@freedomplace1, I'm not a shopper and didnt know about TV lifts but am about to learn : ) My time is spent in the kitchen and garden. I have been looking for a credenza, though though, with sliding doors for the home office

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You really don't need a tv lift, purchased or DIY. You have walls. Use them . Get light control at the bay window, and go to a Best Buy.....and look at the incredible option in a Samsung Smart TV. You don't need to stare at a honkin' black screen 24/7......all TV.....below )

Light from the window?? Easy.!!!Cordless! No crooked factors! Needs nothing added.

Plantation shutters never go askew. The wider the blade? The more light comes in. Versatile, needs no other decorative treatment.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    last year

Can the dining room be used as a game room? Just a thought.

• PRO
    last year

Or what about a library? With some Comfortable chairs for reading.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design I am planning an armless chair in the dining rom (putting shoes on and off), and do have a tall, open bookshelf or two that I can see there.

@JAN MOYER the bow window is round and 10ft wide. There are shutters in the master BR which I love. The intense light from the window is mostly due to the time of year with the sun lower in the sky. I do like the idea of hanging a TV vs using floor space for a TV and that wall. Ill move the armoir to test the glare.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The point to a plantation is to simply tip the blade and cut a bit of light, Nobody hides a tv in anything. Or put it on the end wall a nice big one over a console/art tv. Lie down and watch,,,,,sit in a swivel and watch. Going to have to pick a poison: )

The room is what it is, and not going to look great unless you get the sofa under that bay window. It needs a strong focal point. Not what you have as of now. : ) It just confuses the eye. LOL........Sophie? She'd say get rid of the too much leather. More bluntly I'd guess. I'd be liking her comment, no matter she'd not parse words.

• housegal200
    last year

Here's a long skinny room like yours, with large windows. It's divided into zones, living room, dining area. (Note round dining table, which would work best in your space.) If there's room, a sofa table the width of the sofa back could be used as a buffet for the dining area. I like the dark accent wall to minimize the dark TV screen.

My Houzz: Light and Balance in a 1950s Ranch Redo · More Info

While I don't love the curtains at the window, consider putting an array of live plants in multiple heights in the foreground to add a beautiful focal point when you enter the space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Yes housegal ( two areas ) ,,,,,,,,,lovely above. Which doesn't account for the shallow depth of her room, nor the stair which one must descend to enter it. Or the traffic pattern through the room.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@housegal200 the dark wall behind the TV is intriguing. I tend to agtree that furniture facing away from an entry point is unwelcoming.

i'm going to try @JAN MOYER's layout with the imperfect pieces that I currently have. Some still downtairs. Then I'll start replacing items. it will have to wait since we'll be away for the holidays. I'll have to recruit a couple of girlfriends, too, because hubby doesn'tunderstand : )

• freedomplace1
    last year

I don’t blame hubby. TBH, I really don’t understand, either... :)

Try the layout and see how it ’feels’. Not just how it ’looks’...

Personally, there is no way that I would sit on a sofa with my back to the windows, if it could ( in any way possible ) be avoided. I do not find it to be a comfortable placement. Plus, it is not considered to be ’good Feng Shui’.

I would not (and do not) recommend the ‘backing up the sofa to the windows’ placement to anyone - except as (maybe) a very last resort.

So, imo, hubby is absolutely right to ’not understand’; and from my perspective, your current sofa placement is correct. imo, it is the right placement for this room.

But, again, try the other placement and see how you like it. If you and hubby decide that you love that setup - great.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I want to see from all, a scaled drawing of all their "better" suggestions with dimensions: )

Feng shui? It has to APPLICABLE to the available space.

• PRO
    last year

I was looking for Jan’s layout. Saw what she wrote But can’t find pictures. I don’t always get the full post so I am sure I missed it.

• ffpalms
    last year

Here’s Jan’s layout. I really like it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Make the sofa as long as you want : ) Just remember it may move some day. All of that was considered here.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@freedomplace1 He doesnt understand my desire to arrange and rearrange. He admittedly would live in a cardboard box. But he warms up. I place function above all else and have no idea what Feng Shui is but I'm about to learn. Love to learn.

Honestly, we watch little TV and hubby would be thrilled to do away with the armoir but tge storage is valuable i just dont want to devote the room to a television. But, right now the sofa is either too far for enjoyment, or the TV is too small. When I said I saw 2 spaces for a sofa, I forgot that we had the sofa in front of the window a while back. That makes 3 options. I'd be okay with two apartment size sofas I also like the idea of a table/chairs in the room though we sold the formal dining set because we rarely used It. First things first. I'm willing to try the TV opposite the window. We'll see.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@JAN MOYER please no begging : ) I'm familiar with a couple of local designers and will make contact when I'm near ready to purchase. My next step is to position existing piecesand I'm excited to try your layout

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

We'll be dying to see...but don't break your back!!!

• PRO
    last year

Hello T,

I constructed a 3D virtual rendition using the measurements you posted and JAN'S specs. I added a few elements to the rendition. I added: one plant, art over the table, a mirror over the console, an entry table and put the TV over the entry table to the right of the steps to the dining room.

Everything measures out per JAN'S specs.

The furniture colors and styles are not being presented, only JAN'S suggestions.

Hope this helps.

MAE Day Designs

Here are pics of the rendition for your viewing pleasure.

tdemonti thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design these renderings really wow me and Im not wow'd easily. Highly thought provoking, and exciting, actually actually.

I shared much of this thread - fireplace, TV art, highlighting Jan's sketch with DH and cant wait to share your renderings.

I like the mix of shapes, nice use of space, taking advantage of the 10ft ceiling. I see that I'll be asking about "wall hangings" at some point.

The openness of this layout, @JAN MOYER, is most appealing.

A woman I worked with first told me about HOUZZ seven or eight years ago when I was dreaming of a new kitchen. The kitchen saw its fourth Thanksgiving this year.

I truly appreciate everyone's expertise and input including the DIY forum.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

As they say? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thank MaeDay for her tech skills - I am hopeless in that regard , my eyes are in my brain. The visual, the space, the proportions, the use, comfort etc all live there in living color. My head turns two dimension to three simultaneously.

I could ask her to lengthen the sofa a tad, put a 10 x 14 kilim rug on the floor, Put a big piece of art over the console. Add the texture, the color, the warmth..... etc. Un match the side tables at the sofa, Give me a ....... an on an on.

Matters not. You need your imagination, the art that speaks to you...the colors that do.

You and your designer: ) : ) : ) The team. Two voices, not a thousand. Keep us posted, have fun, and good LUCK! Happy holidays, too.

• PRO
    last year

So glad you liked the rendering. It is based on all of Jan’s measurements. Best wishes, MAE

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

It's all enough to stimulate the process. Give me time and I will share the progress.

Buona natale a tutti!

• PRO
    last year

Grazie, Buon Natale a te! From MAE De designs. I wish you the very best and sincerely hope you got the solutions you were looking for. You mentioned that you may be downsizing at some point in the future. If you do, We hope that you will return to HOUZZ for any help you may need. We have many professionals and non-professionals with helping hearts and many wonderful ideas and suggestions. So we hope you come back to see us sometime. Best wishes to you and yours, MAE

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

@Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design, HOUZZ is bookmarked and I peruse often, project or no project. Everyone here has unknowingly helped immensely with color choices, kitchen design and so much more.

• PRO
    last year

That is so wonderful!

• PRO
    last year

Dear T,
    I am going to be bold and say that JAN has really done all of the design work you really need. I’d hate to see you bring in another designer because they will most likely want to inject their own design into the room. Plus the added cost. I sincerely believe that you are more than capable of taking the design layout that JAN has put together for you and by using that layout, you can simply choose pieces of furniture that you like and will fit into the arrangement. I know, this is a bold statement on my part but I sincerely believe you are capable of moving forward on your own.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

How ironic : ) I just got off the phone with a happy camper "man client". Briefly: Lost his young wife a couple years ago, kids grown and out. Lots of life left to live . He and the Mrs. never had a designer, because ........."Someone will come in and it will be THEIR house, not OUR house" ......

In some circuitous route, (one of my clients and that client to his daughter ) - I get the call.

Five months and a miracle later, in a climb through fire version of design with my upholsterer, his fabulous art, some incredible consignment, new hardwood flooring.....lighting, keep some get rid of this no, keep that, custom rugs, and UNEARTHING of some wonderful rugs he wasn't even using, kitchen refresh whirlwind?

That man has found heaven at home.

It's not just buy stuff. Put it here. It is make the things you DO buy .....sing. Let someone help you, tailor it TO you. You don't know what you're missing until that magic happens. You just have to find a person who listens to all you do not even say: )

Find someone not afraid to use the "No" word, and don't you be afraid to go just a bit outside your comfort zone with a good designer. Magic.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Was gifted a coffee table book today. This, from a single page in Timeless by Patrick Ahearn... and just his very last sentence:

" I often say, in fact, that if I have done my job correctly, I will be like a ghost who visits in the night - leaving no trace and most successful when no one sees my hand."

That is always how I feel........ he said it a lot more eloquently.

It's about you.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

I will work with pieces that we have to begin with (hubby is warm to Jan's sketch and Mae's rendering), and browse local stores. Hubby mentioned a 56" TV (!)

To be honest, local stores are more traditional that our taste, and I will need help with cohesion and forethought. Even though I'll retire from the biweekly paycheck, I will be busy. And And, of course, timing is everything.

• tdemonti
    Original Author
    last year

Updating -

We brought in the rug, rearranged the furniture and really like the flow. I mistakenly though the rug is rectangular but its square. A different pattern is needed.

One concern is how the sun will affect furniture at the window.