SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_346286243

Eichler like T1-11 siding replacement option in fiber cement for NW

Jo La
last year

I live in the Portland, Oregon area and the existing T1-11 siding on my ranch style 1960's home is at the end of its life. From the street, it looks like a single story home, so I want to maintain the vertical siding to give the house the look of more height. The existing siding looks like Eichler siding, but I know it is not. I like the aesthetic of the existing 2" o.c. (on center) vertical pattern, and would like to find a fiber cement product for maintenance reason that can achieve a similar siding look. In meeting with NW contractors, they all seem to work with cedar or James Hardie fiber cement products only. The aesthetic options for Hardie are disappointingly limited (especially for vertically installation), with the tightest spacing at 7" or 8". The wider spacing isn't ideal as the proportions will make the house look more chunky with the 12" spacing loc-seam metal roof. I'm not a fan of board and batten, and even the suggestion of spacing the battens tighter than 12" or 16" were not recommended for potential installation issues by the contractor. Does a fiber cement product with close to a 2" vertical spacing exist? I am willing to go with 4" vertical cedar siding and deal with the long term maintenance, but I want to know if I have really exhausted my options with fiber cement. I suggested other brands like Nichiha or Accoya, but the four different siding contractors I met with seemed to have never worked with alternative fiber cement products besides Hardie. They were also not a fan of installing LP siding in the Pacific NW due to water and moisture liabilities. If there are any recommendations or creative ideas of products or design solutions that are suitable for the NW region, I would appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Comments (3)