SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
grioux

How would you cover this window

grioux
last month

I need suggestions on window covering for this window. I want to be able to have them open during the day to let the light in and closed at night for privacy.

Thanks

Comments (35)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

I would do one large roller blind mechanical end to end, as it seems the only place to affix anything here. otherwise you could hang curtains above the arch outside the window and treat it as a normal window. Last thought is to have them tinted for privacy, that will still let light in just and allow the window to just be.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

a rod across the whole window at the ceiling with simple panels on rings.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month
    last modified: last month

Great window!

I would go with full stationary two or four curtain panels and honey comb blinds.

You have all the time privacy and light.

Some kind of

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

diff ways to do it. I like keeping the arch portion uncovered.

Silouette blinds are pretty. get one for each lower portion, inset.

(here they have it in the arched portion too, but ignore that)

Hunter Douglas:

kind of like this, but w/the silouettes or pirouette blinds.

if you like, put drapes on either end. you wouldnt have to close them unless you want it really dark.

or, no blinds. just do a long rod above the even portion and have drapes

roman blinds on the lower part, drapes on the sides

cellular style blinds.

Plantation shutters

• grioux
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for all the great input. I'm leaning towards putting curtain rod about the whole window, like the pictures Celery. Visualization, Rendering imagesposted above. I don't think I want blinds.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

I think curtains would be fine. it just may be a little tricky to fully close them every night if you have a sofa or seating in front of that window. Inset blinds are just easier. (and you can still have the drapes in the corners)

I like the black and your flooring. Are you planning on painting the tan wall color?

grioux thanked Beth H. :
  • decoenthusiaste
    last month

Ceiling track mount for sheers or semi-sheer curtains. A roman shade mounted below the upper arch.

• grioux
    Original Author
    last month

Beth H, the room is almost square, it's just the picture angle that makes it look long and narrow. We haven't decided on furnature placement yet, we will try a few layouts and see what works.

• grioux
    Original Author
    last month

deconenthusiate, my husband sugested a ceiling mount rod, he wants an automatic one that we can program. I'm not sure how that would look.

• decoenthusiaste
    last month

Me neither! Sounds good but I avoid all the electronics I can. We're all turning into couch potato blobs! lol

• grioux
    Original Author
    last month

We travel a lot so having a lot of the house automated makes it easier.

I have a hard time visualizing how a ceiling mounted rod would look, trying to find pictures to get an idea.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

It looks like this is a new space. I would start with up down blinds for the lower windows and not commit to curtains until you know what furnishings you will have, how it will be placed, what colors you want in your home. With or without curtains the blinds will give you the privacy and light control you need. Once you have everything else in place you can add some color or texture with the right curtains. If you buy them first they may or may not work with the furnishings, paint colors, area rugs and other décor items that you pick.

• happyleg
    last month

if you have a TV for you could put it on the black wall and you could have the couch facing it so that would give you a good view to look out the window too and you could have curtain g o m m e n t s or you could have drapes that you pull on one of the sides they're called transverse unless you can get something on remote control like some kind of blind

• neonzeus
    last month

The windows are beautiful. It might be old-fashioned, but easiest & reasonably priced initial solution might be to install the verticals hidden in sheers across the lower windows. It would give you options: fully open with the sheers stacked on either side, fully private when the sheers are pulled across & the verticals are closed, or semi-private when the sheers are pulled across but the verticals are open. (The verticals are hidden in the seams of the sheers and are practically invisible.) I might be tempted to look at clear or even colored stained glass at some point for the top center-windows, depending on the need for privacy and whether this room has an East or West direction.

• Dennis Peterson
    last month

Definitely do NOT cover the arched portion. It is of architectural interest for the room.

• Leticia Clark
    last month

oh its a shame, such a beautiful window. I wouldn’t unless privacy was needed. Then as somsomeone else suggested, plantation shutters would beautiful.

• Ryn - Gabriel
    last month

My first instinct was to just tint the windows, however after reading the comments, I really like the curtains at the ceiling. Because it's a sunken living room and seems somewhat separated from the other part of the house (that we can see), I think tall, layered curtains would make it very cozy and welcoming.

• Marilyn
    last month

I agree with those saying not to cover the arched window above. Window treatments on the rest can address privacy.

• thescotsman1953
    last month

Any kind of blinds are going to get dusty and need to be cleaned on a regular basis, (curtains also need to be cleaned but not quite as frequently). I would do curtains on the bottom and leave the arch uncovered...or, for the arch, they sell stained glass cling film that's very easy to install and makes the windows look terrific...https://artscape-inc.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAp7GcBhA0EiwA9U0mtsfVvh-6fBnlkK6T8HIMN_3_G8WzUhzSasxWZkT01Ec1e_nYGc8y7BoC-g0QAvD_BwE

• hu818472722
    last month

I like Beth H's suggestion of the inset silhouette blinds on the lower portion of the windows only as I see that you have floor vents on either side of your windows and hanging curtains could interfere with the heating/cooling circulation in your room. Because your window also has decorative glass and is all inset, painting the wall white and having white blinds would let the architecture of the window be the spotlight.

• Terrie B.
    last month

Wide spaced plantation shutters add value to your home and also help insulate.

• dpierce9193
    last month

We have a similar window west facing in the desert southwest.

privacy, sun & heat control are important & shutters are perfect

• R. Blake McLaurin
    last month

Slider

• thinkdesignlive
    last month

I’m a fan of drapery to the ceiling for this condition. You get your full sun during the day and full privacy at night. A traverse rod with control on one end will be easy for open and close wether or not you have furniture in front of the window.

• Susan Murin
    last month

I would do beautiful floor to ceiling drapery. Prepare yourself to be shocked at the price. If budget allows I’d consider the motorized option as opening and closing an expanse of drapes like that every day may be a tad tedious. I did motorized blackout Roman shades in my master and I LOVE just telling Alexa to open or close them (or pressing a single button on a remote) and having all three shades come down. It’s one of those little things that just makes life easier.

• greenprincess
    last month

I second Jennifer, (I think it was Jennifer) who said up and down cellular shades on the bottom portion of the windows. First of all they are energy saving, they look good and not as old fashioned looked as vertical blinds. On the top you could have a stained glass artist make stained glass pieces that you could mount and would let the light in but you couldn't see through. Not sure how to upload on this site but I found an example though it's a fireplace screen.

• Composer
    last month

A long curtain rod either above the entire window or below the arched section with soft linen floor-length drapes on rings that can be easily pulled open and closed. It's simple and elegant; linen or linen/blend panels are not that expensive and let light through while offering privacy. The 5th photo in Beth H.'s post would work well in your space.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

I like the idea of floor-to-ceiling curtains that open and close for privacy and light control. Depending on the sun exposure, leaving the arch uncovered could expose you to sun glare. I have one of those windows and I have that problem. Having a silhouette on each of the windows will be a very expensive proposition and I think it chops up the window.

• grioux
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, this is a new space to us, we take possesion this Thursday. We will be using the furniture and art from our current house so we already know our colour sceme. I'm pretty sure we will do the floor to ceiling curtains as many of you suggested. we will have the rod long enough so that when they are open the full window is visable.

We are not sure if we will keep the black wall but we did discuss putting the TV there so it doesn't stand out as much when not in use.

The rest of the room will be painted, not sure what colour yet but not beige. There is a lot of beige in my current house and I am sick of it.

Here are a couple more pictures to get a sense of the how the room relates to the rest of the living area.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

Off subject - have you considered recoloring the grout. It will improve the look of the spaces with tile.

• julie12345
    last month

We went with “simple” on our big windows. We like that we can have the sun blocked some and still see the view or “pulled” for privacy.

• julie12345
    last month

Bond closed on the left, open in middle and “flipped” open on left.

• grioux
    Original Author
    last month

jennifer Hogan We will be redoing the kitchen including the floors. We will run the new flooring to the entry so it is more cohesive.

• Margo L
    last month

Would use electronic adhesive remote controlled smart film.
    Transparency when needed.