SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnamora

Help me, please with my living room

donnamora
last year

Hi, I re-arranged my living room furniture but I am not happy with the result. The room looks more spacious but I feel is too much empty space in the middle. I have an L shaped configuration of the living and dinning room combo. I don’t think there is room enough to bring the sofas towards the middle of the room. please help me as the situation is droving me crazy. Thanks.

Comments (37)

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

Here is another view from the dinning room

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I don’t have a good feel for the whole room measurements to tell what options you have, , but it looks like the loveseat and sofa are overlapping, which looks odd and blocks much of the seating capacity.

• Related Discussions

Please help me furnish and decorate my living room!!

Q

Comments (25)
    Hello italmover, I knew those pics would put everything in perspective! I stood on my kitchen bar to take them...yikes! I agree what you said about the two different chairs..it will looks more interesting. And that rug is great! That’s exactly what I was considering....maybe abit more navy blue? My dh says no to keeping the brown ottoman, but we shall see...methinks he is tired of brown...lol. I can see how it may tie in very nicely. The cabinetry will stay as it is built ins with the fireplace. I believe some side tables will put everything together nicely. Thank you so much for your input....you have no idea how much this is appreciated. I appreciate each and every idea...it helps me to look at my space through different eyes. 🤓
    ...See More

Help me pull my living room together please!

Q

Comments (5)
    I really like the color palette of this room: https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/how-to-paint-over-dark-walls I see original mid-century elements in your room (love those panels on the landing!), so would go in a direction influenced by that. It’s too bad someone painted over the fireplace, I’ll bet the natural stones had a nice color and texture that could’ve been the basis of a great new color/style scheme with a more natural/organic feel. I’m not sure your budget, but look at West Elm, Crate and Barrel, CB2, World Market, etc for dining tables, coffee table, rugs, curtains, modern fireplace screen, and other items. And if you are wanting to go in a mid-century direction, do searches for lots of inspiration: ‘MCM living and dining room’ and other terms. Start saving ideas and narrow down looks you like. I’d angle the recliner a bit so that all the furniture isn’t lined up, and I’d move the cute kid’s table over to where the quilt rack is (relocate that). That’ll give you more of a walking area. Would it be possible to move the TV to the right, so that it’s all on the wall and not half wall/half stone? It’s going to be a great room! Again, look through inspiration pictures and I think it’ll give you some helpful ideas. You could have one accent wall (far dining room wall), but I’d go with a deeper color, like this: (Source: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/get-the-look-mid-century-global-eclecticism-in-canada-235742) And you can certainly add in other styles, I’m not suggesting an MCM theme room — just using it as a base or starting point. Make it your own by finding things you love looking at. :)
    ...See More

Help me finish my Living Room please, daughter's wedding in 6 weeks!

Q

Comments (82)
    davitma, Your home is just gorgeous! I love it. You have done such a beautful job in decorating it. I'll be coming back to your post for tips to help me finish my home, such as the artwork and all the little touches you've added that make your home look so "finished" and welcoming. Your daughter is beautfiul and both she and your son in law look so happy. You've definitely created a lovely home and family to share it with.
    ...See More

help me finish my living room please!

Q

Comments (19)
    I think the room could really accommodate a much larger TV (70") on the wall with a large, minimal console below. https://www.mgbwhome.com/vienna-large-rectangle-cocktail-table/11531%2F11523-CTB.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYKUBhDJARIsAMj9lkGg8k87RIYgxTIhKSStYer3BzUbEyoOBL_uWQ-Cl_gBoCFERSrRkOYaAlYSEALw_wcB I think a large bronze frame glass top coffee table will allow you to see the loverly rug through the glass. Select a small round drum table between the barrel chairs. Select a faux tree for the corner to take advantage of the tall ceilings and direct the eye up.
    ...See More
  • houssaon
    last year

First I would remove the red rug. I don't knwo if you need it.

I would put the buffet where the sofa is and move the sofa to the middle of that wall where the love seat is now. Move the love seat opposit the sofa and move the chair closer to the windows.

The other option is the remove the buffet from this area and move the sofa to the middle of the wall and the loveseat to where the sofa is now. The chair remains just about where it is now.

• kl23
    last year

I love your red color!

donnamora thanked kl23
  • kl23
    last year

It would be interesting to know what you had before.

• kl23
    last year

I can think of a couple of arrangements, but you may not like them, because I don't know if they'll fit. But here goes…

1. Buffet where sofa is, sofa where loveseat is, loveseat where sliders are but pulled into the room 3ft. Chair in open space corner created by sofa and loveseat. Table by chair.

2. Sofa floating opposite wall where loveseat is now, buffet behind it, facing dining room (with 3 ft of walkway between buffet an dining room wall), loveseat perpendicular, facing sliders, table in corner between them, chair in open corner near sliders.

Once you figure out where to put the big pieces, we can talk about the area rugs. You will get more professional help if you post a layout of the living room complete with dimensions of the room, sofa, loveseat, buffet. Thanks for adding more pictures. Can you take picy from the other two corners of the room, showing the dining room and whatever is in the other corner? Perhaps the front entry?

donnamora thanked kl23
  • Emma Gee
    last year

This is what I thought but depending on where you come into the room might want to move the chair over toto the corner beyond the sideboard! 👍

donnamora thanked Emma Gee
  • donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

A big thank you for all of you for taking the time. I really appreciate it. And thank you for the red color comment. The floor is dark esspresso and, except for the curtains, everything is white, so I wanted some color.

This is what we had before ( 2 arrangements):

1- the sideboard was where the sofa is now, the sofa was where the loveseat is now, the loveseat was opposite to the sofa and the chair was between the sofas with the back to the french doors opening to the balcony- we found that the loveseat was too much in the middle of the room, with only about 1 foot to pass behind it and the chair was kind of blocking the view to the balcony.

2- exactly as in Beverly’s sketch, except for the chair- we found that the loveseat was taking much of the view and the light.

Also, FYI we don’t have a TV in the living room

I will take more pictures and send dimensions too.

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

This was one of the arrangements, showing the small space between wall and loveseat and the space available towards the dinning room.

indoor decor · More Info

• ginatay124
    last year

I think the sideboard may need to go. It is limiting your options with furniture arrangement. The your sofa could go on the long wall and loveseat on short wall, and IKEA chair opposite loveseat. Then get a larger coffee table. Could you get a second piece of the red tree art and hang them side by side over the sofa? And cut off the tag that is hanging down under the IKEA chair :)

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

These are the dimensions

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Gina. Thank you for you comments and ideas. I am actually looking for a coffee table ( the one in the picture is actually a plant stand that we use in the meantime) but I don’t know the size yet as it will depend on the sofas placements. The ikea cushion was just purchased and the chair may not even stay in the living room. The big furniture, including the sideboard ( for storage) will stay- they are good quality and spent+ money) on it.

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

What about this arrangement (thank God for felt furniture protectors). I think there is a bit more space between mid wall and loveseat and we are closer to the ”view” outdoors. If this looks ok, what should I put on the wall( where is the middle considered-where the mid sofa is or the mid length of wall)? Also, should I keep the plant in the corner or should I buy a nice side table? Thanks

• doods
    last year

I get you about blocking the window, I too love to have a view, and never like sofa, or love seat with the back to the main window. Will be interested to see your final result.

donnamora thanked doods
  • coray
    last year

I like BeverlyFLADezigner’s idea. If you want to keep things roughly as you have them now, maybe move the “branchy sculpture” (lamp?) into the corner between the 2 sofas, and slide the smaller sofa more to the left. You definitely need a larger coffee table….your current one is only a small side table. If you want to keep the strong red-white-black color scheme, I’m not sure the piece on the right fits there, maybe try to find something more in line with the other piece.

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks coray. As I mentioned, we had that configuration but we gound it was blocking the view. It was also visually ”cutting” into the length of the room, making it look smaller than it actually is. I am curios to see, now that I posted the dimensions, if BeverlyFLADezigner feels the furniture should stay as she thought initially. Any input/ comments/ sugestions are appreciated.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Does a TV go in this space?

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

No tv in this area or dinning room. so I think my focal point are the french doors.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Sofas facing one another only if they are the same length

donnamora thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I borrowed Beverly's drawing, what if you used the credenza as a sofa table, this would allow you to center the room a bit better:

• freedomplace1
    last year
    last modified: last year

^^ RL’s idea is great.

You mention the sideboard staying in the space, and you also mention that it has good use for storage. Can the sideboard just be moved to the dining area ? You have not posted a full pic of the dining area side of the space, so no way to know what is over there. But if that sideboard piece could fit over there, in the actual dining area, I think it would make more sense, overall - plus, it would of course free up some space on LR side.

As another option - you could possibly use the sideboard to divide the living and dining areas.

https://www.hgtv.ca/smart-stylish-ways-divide-open-concept-living-space/

Sofa on long wall. Love seat on short wall. And with this arrangement, maybe consider just using the chair in another room. When you need extra seating for company, you could bring over a couple of the dining chairs.

• donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all. Unfortunately, if you look at the measurements, it won’t work. The dinning room is just small enough (9X10 ft) for an oval dining table with 4 chairs, so moving the sideboard there will mean to push the dinning table at least 2ft in the middle of the living room, close to the french doors. if I place the sideboard to be a divider, I think it would look weird as there would be no other furniture close to it (with sofas placed as Beverly put in her drawing at the other end of the room).

• kl23
    last year

Things that are creating challenges: 1. ideally, the room light would be centered over the seating area, but it is not, apparently, easy to center the seating area under the light. And, the light is very linear, which could work if it were over the loveseat but perpendicular to it's current orientation. 2. The love seat and sofa are not going to be great opposite each other easily. In the picture you showed and asked "what about this arrangement," I wished you had two love seats. I wondered what would happen though if you lined up the sofa and love seat in the what about this arrangement and filled in the lost space by placing the little round table next to the end of the loveseat closest to the sliders. Would the length of the loveseat plus table equal the length of the sofa? I thought the chair looked like it was being punished…so sad and lonely in the corner. Could you pull it into the seating arrangement more? Kinda snuggled next to the sofa but still at an angle? By the way, what happened to it's buddy that I saw in one of the other photos with the Christmas tree? Also, what happened to the glass coffee table in that photo? I'm afraid to ask…

How about a variation on what you have in the what-about-this-arrangement? Sofa on long wall but slid towards the sliders, love seat perpendicular to it facing the sliders but floating in the room, not against the short wall. Little table in the corner between sofa and love seat. Chair in the corner opposite the little table (where it is now). Buffet against the short wall. Small red rug between the buffet and love seat, bigger white rug in the seating area. Picture centered behind sofa. Other picture over buffet. Room for Christmas tree between love seat and buffet, along long wall? Basically, I am suggesting moving the loveseat perpendicular to where you just moved it, and sliding both it and the sofa towards the sliders, dividing the room.

Another totally novel idea: loveseat on short wall, sofa perpendicular on long wall, little table between them, creating a seating area. White rug in that area. Pull your dining room table into the living room in front of the sliders with the red rug underneath. Move your buffet and chair (and it's buddy if you still have it) into the dining room and treat the dining room as a pass through or buffet area. Maybe you have another small table to go between the chairs. I don't know if you would like it for every day but it might work for a party really well. Is there a passage between the kitchen and dining room? I can't tell. Now I am wondering if the space you are using as the dining room was intended to be a breakfast area all along, and that's why it is small as you say, and that's why the living room is so long and the light is off center.

Also, is there a direct passage between the kitchen and living room? If so, what is the length of the living room wall between the kitchen passage and the dining room passage? Is it enough to place the buffet against? Also, is the back of the buffet finished or unfinished?

donnamora thanked kl23
  • donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

Hi KL. Thank you so much for all the suggestions. They are so detailed thaI need time to process them and see them in my head. Ill I’ll do that for sure on Saturday. They are very interesting to consider. Now that I cleared the dining table I will take another picture or two from there. But basicaly the layout is as in my drawing with the measurements. This may sound stupid, but what are the ”sliders”? Also, other clarifications: the pic with the tree is from last year, the 2nd ikea chair is upstairs for now, collecting dust, the coffee table I gave away because I wanted a change butI need to figure out the layout before knwoing the size and shape for a new one. I also wished that I had 2 loveseats. I moved last year both sofas in the dinning room facing each other and the space looked cozy with a small table between them. Unfortunately the dining table and the sideboard were not enough to fill the living room space, or maybe I just didn’t do it properly. The light it is in the center of the living room, believe it or not and initiLly it fell over the coffe table when the furniture was as in the picture with the tree. I could get another fixture- see now is on trend to hang the lights away from the electric box in the ceiling, like this but not exactly: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/185139448/swag-cluster-chandelier-off-center?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=off+center+light&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&sts=1&plkey=346b4397c178ffb409f59d0ae841014582f0da81%3A185139448 . I will post the dining room pictures and try to figure out your suggestion.

• houssaon
    last year

I think BeverlyFLADeziner layout would work the best.

donnamora thanked houssaon
  • donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

KL, I just read again your suggestions. I may try the idea of moving the buffett and the two chairs with a coffee table and the red rug in the current dining room (we have breakfast area in the kitchen). The red rug is too small to go under the dinning table. Then, I may move the dinning table closer to the short wall, parallel with it, then the loveseat with the back towards the table to act as a divider and the long sofa on the long wall. The light would still be off, but we may change it. I would put the table there as we don’t really use it, unless we have guests, wich is not too often. This way, the seating areas (I’d actualy have two) would still be closer to the doors and window for view and natural light.

• marylut
    last year

I am unsure if you have a wall separating Kitchen and LR, so I tried it with a wall and with an open floor plan.

donnamora thanked marylut
  • marylut
    last year

“Sliders” are patio/balcony glass door panels where one panel slides in front of the other, also called a bypass door.

donnamora thanked marylut
  • kl23
    last year

Donnamora, this new arrangement of yours is very creative! I love having a table in a "living" room. Eating isn't the only thing we do at tables, is it?! I lay out my tax papers, work on making jewelry, write my weekly checks, work on a puzzel…lots of things at my dining room table. This is fun! I love the idea of a living room being more than for just sitting and talking.

It really helps to know the layout of the whole living space. Nice to know you have a kitchen eating space. Sorry for my use of the term "sliders". It's what I have to get outside. Maybe yours are French doors or just windows. Houssaon's description is what I thought you had. Sorry for thinking the light wasn't centered. Hard to tell with photos. Using a swag is really more a practical thing than a trend…or it should be. I really love your red rug. I hope it can be featured. I like having seating near a window. One of my favorite things to do is wake up late on the weekends and sit near a window and watch the sun rise. I'm up at 3 am workdays. I look forward to hearing more from you and seeing more pictures. What do you store in the buffet? Eating things? Or other things? Not being nosy; I just like to have things near where I use them.

I have two loveseats, which is fine in my space. But I also have a matching big chair and ottoman! I struggle to arrange them, and fear I should separate them, sending some to a different room. I'm not ready to work on it as you are though. But I am frustrated that I let someone talk me into all this furniture. Luckily I love the leather. Your are leather too?

donnamora thanked kl23
  • kl23
    last year

Sorry marylut, you were the one who explained what sliders are! Thanks! Houssaon, yes that was my first suggestion and Beverly was kind enough to make a drawing. Thanks to both houssaon and Beverly! Off to work now...

donnamora thanked kl23
  • donnamora
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you guys, you’re really spending time to finsider my options. I attached

here pictures to include the walls, dinning room and overall layout. As you can see, yes there is a loading wall. We were thinking of removing it but inside is all the pipework, ductwork ductwork and electric wires and we considered it was’t worth the cost. Thanks for clarifying the sliders- we dall those sliding doors. But anyway, we have french doors.

i moved the dinning table in the middle room but it looks… lonely since it’s glass and relatively small (ignore what hangs from the lights,; that was just to helm me figure out where the ceiling fixture falls on the table). See the picture taken same time last year (I’m working on this project for some time lol). Even with the sideboard next to it. The sideboard has all the glasses, plates, tableclothes, etc that we use ocassionally when we have guests. Truth be told, in keeping with the European background, we use the dining and living room mainly when we have guests (plus we are only 2 people in the house and we use upstairs and basement for office and tv rooms). I was also thinking having the table along the short wall and not perpendicular, then the dideboard as separation and then the small chairs facing the balcony door, but the table does’t fit properly with the chairs around.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I like it the other way this clearly looks like you put your living room in the dining room lol. do consider trying my set up.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Just saw your post today. I like BeverlyFLADeziner's floor plan so I simply modified it to show only one sideboard because I only see one (1) in your photo.

• lisalane
    last year

Have been following. I know you are hesitant to use the layout above due to blocking your outside view a bit. If you are really opposed to this arrangement, I think your former layout with two couches facing each other is the best solution. But I think the layout above is actually perfect for opening up the space and allowing for easy passage from one room to another. Just works for the furniture you have. You would still have the view through the upper part of your french doors and through windows in the dining room - don’t think you would be missing much not seeing the deck railing. But of course I’m not in the space and understand your concern….

• heatherabramski
    last year

How deep is the couch and loveseat?

• Manuela Ocra
    last year

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry for the delay. Something came up unexpectedly. I tried the idea of placing the sideboard and the loveseat back to back but the space at the short wall (for access to the sideboard) looks weird and the room seems shorter. The sofas are 3vft deep. I may try the BeverlyFLADeziner's design for a bit maybe we just need to get used with it.