SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetmm59

Need help with rug

Janet Mmm
last year

I need help with a rug. I want a 10x10 per previous advise. I’ve asked for help with this room before and so far all I have done is rearranged and put the tv over the fireplace. The tv will stay over the fireplace we love it so far as we can see it from the kitchen and it’s a frame tv. I will be buying all new upholstered furniture, painting and anything else that is needed. Plan so far is ivory couch and 2 navy chairs also open to Carmel leather couch or chairs instead of ivory. Attached pics of rugs I’ve narrowed down to so far. I added the plain ivory shag for 2 reasons that I have same rug in my living room and love the quality of it and ease of cleaning. I also need advise on fireplace wall the sides are uneven widths so - should I leave sides empty or new cabinets or shelves or is what I have now okay? Rug needs to happen soon I’ve been without one for months.

Comments (39)

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

More rugs I have found

• User
    last year

I like the more colorful rugs, personally. I would not to built in shelving, I feel like it would emphasize the off centering of the fireplace. I would also choose the same paint color for the fireplace wall as the rest of the walls, but I would choose color after purchasing rug and furniture. I think caramel leather and blue chairs would be gorgeous. Also, I would hang the art above the cabinet on the left

• Related Discussions

Need help with rug decisions!! HELP!

Q

Comments (7)
    You can do just about anything other than solid grey -- well, even that as long as there is contrast in color and texture. If those are your two kiddos, a print rug would probably be more kid friendly and forgiving. You could even do an indoor/outdoor rug that would be easier to clean. What colors do you wear the most? That might be a good direction to look for colors you will like living with in the rug. Maybe that's black and white too? Even a neutral, something as plain as a sisal, could be good. You really need to narrow it down with some thoughts on style, color, formality, wear, feel/touch -- something more than goes with B/W and grey.
    ...See More

The After Bathroom/ need help with rug

Q

Comments (4)
    Pretty bathroom! I’m not sure if you’re into traditional rugs, but I thought of this one: https://esalerugs.com/products/graham-rug-navy-blue-gdiw?variant=41408043745439&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrMOd9_X69AIVpRXUAR1T5wQTEAQYASABEgJevvD_BwE
    ...See More

Need help with rug and paint colors

Q

Comments (1)
    Preteen room ... Changed mind about paint color. So now I'm looking at BM classic gray, BM pale oak, SW krypton. Bedding will stay the same- it's from Pottery Barn with an orange accent (not red).Need to find color for walls, solid (will not do different colors) and a rug but unsure of the color and style. Any recommendations? Link would to actual rug to purchase would be amazing! Looking for 8x10. Thank you!Pic of room in comments.
    ...See More

Need help picking rugs!

Q

Comments (4)
    A good place to start is to find rug dealers in your area and visit the stores in person. Most rug dealers will allow you to bring a rug home to try out and some will even let you pick several rugs in the store and they will then bring them all out to your house to compare. I've never felt pressured to buy any of the rugs when I didn't find one I really like when I tested them out in my home. Just part of doing business and establishing a relationship with customers.
    ...See More
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

Can you match the left side cabinet and have one on each side? I think that would fool the eye more than the ladder shelf. Rarely is anyone looking straight on at the fireplace wall, and the off feeling would be minimized if the same furniture were on both sides.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

The cabinet on the left is at least 10 years old so I cant really match it but I could buy 2 matching new ones. Here’s a pic of the cabinet on the other side and it is a little tight at the bottom. Disregard that whole mess going on in those pics.

• PRO
    Cossart Design
    last year

What we find easiest for our clients is to select paint color and rug at the very end of the project. Our best advice to you would be to select the furniture and colors/patterns that you absolutely love and then select rug and paint colors based on the furniture you chose.

Our Design Team loves rugs with a pop of color, so we will always nudge you in the more colorful direction if you ask. Traditional border rugs with color are beautiful but abstract rugs are also gorgeous in their own way. Are you looking to go for a more transitional or contemporary direction for this space? What is your personal style? This is a factor we always tell clients to keep in mind during their design process! Abstract rugs tend to go more contemporary and traditional rugs tend to go more transitional - but you can make either type/style work in your space!

As far as the walls on either side of the fireplace being uneven - it might be best to go with a lighter paint shade than what is currently painted when you repaint. Darker colors advance in a space and lighter colors retreat, therefore, the wall is going to be more noticeable the darker you go with your paint shade. We also like the decorative shelving and bookcases you have currently, we don't think you should lose those completely! Whether you keep your current shelving or buy new shelving, it's nice to have something there rather than a bare wall! We would also suggest to go away from built-in shelving.

We hope you find this advice helpful and good luck in your remodeling process!

• tracefloyd
    last year

I love Persian, Southwest and Tribal rugs, so I would go with the Persian, although the one you show is very red/pink in overall tone. Find something that would go with your navy/caramel.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

I’m not sure what anyone would call my style other than maybe odd - lol. Attached is some art I’m considering for the room the horizontal for over couch and vertical for other half of room.

• RedRyder
    last year

Decide which couch and chairs you are buying. Then you can pick a rug. Last is your paint color. Lots of rug options for either an ivory-navy combination or a caramel leather + navy.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Ok this I think made me realize the ramifications of getting a Carmel sofa would mean embracing Orange. Originally this room had orange and turquoise accents and I got rid of it all - it’s just not me. I loved a couple Carmel couches I saw at crate and barrel outlet but I probably need to stick with ivory.

• RedRyder
    last year

Caramel colored couches do not dictate adding “orange” to your living room. My biggest question is do you want a leather couch? A close friend has a very expensive, soft-as-butter leather couch and it looks gorgeous ( not a speck of orange in her home) but I find it extremely uncomfortable to sit on because leather is slippery.

Ivory and navy are classic and easy to decorate around. But does your lifestyle allow you to have an ivory couch you won’t worry about?

I think these two considerations are as important as the color schemes.

Here is a caramel couch-navy chairs room from a Pinterest. https://pin.it/11QooA3

Ivory couch and navy chairs https://pin.it/2ukqmNU

Search photos on Houzz and Pinterest to see what you like better. Visit stores to look at them and sit on them. Couch buying isn’t easy, so take your time.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks red I never thought about leather being slippery. The only leather I have is this chair in living room it kinda tilts back though - the creepy doll is kind of a recurring theme in my house if that helps with style or lack there of. We have had the ivory couch in family rm for a long time I just recently took the blankets of the seats after the passing of both my dogs. The ivory couches I have liked so far are slipcover ones not sure if those are out of style or not.

• housegal200
    last year

Love the palette of this living room with warm red and gold rug which echoes the caramel leather sofa. Chairs could be any blue--turquoise like these or navy.

Midcentury Living Room · More Info

Or a subtle patterned rug. Again gold, almost caramel leather couch is so warm and inviting.

Madrona Remodel · More Info

If you like navy, then this works very well.

Bouldin Creek Bachelor Pad · More Info

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I very much agree with CD ‘s comment about choosing furniture first. It’s the most difficult, to me, because if you have any ideas about comfort level and quality your options will be more limited unless you are doing custom upholstery, meaning choosing from a wide array of fabrics, not just 2-3 colors.
    It’s great to collect several rug options that could be the direction you would go, favorite colors, but unless it’s totally universal I feel
    like you could end up with colors that are not quite what the rug wants, like if you decided on white instead of caramel, or the caramel is more camel, or more cognac, or dark blue vs light blue or different hues. Plus you can sometimes order a small rug to evaluate & return to get the 10x10.

• RedRyder
    last year

@housegal200’s first photo is lovely. If you like any of the examples she posted, you have a good head start. But you MUST sit in a couch before you buy it.

I am 5’2” and my husband is 5’10”. We had to negotiate the depth of the couch cushions because what he thinks is comfortable is a nightmare to me (my feet stick out because my knees can’t bend). I eventually took him to a Thomasville store that had 3 couches I liked and we picked one. Luckily, it works in our great room and I’m comfortable on it because he sits on a recliner anyway!

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

I do like that first pic of housegals. I will mostly be the one on the couch my husband likes the chair facing the tv directly and I kind of prefer that so he doesn’t leave a impression on 1 seat cushion of the couch. I am going to look at a slipcovered couch and chairs tomorrow at world market and then check crate and barrel outlet. All the crate barrel couches don’t seem to be on display at any stores near me. I don’t think I can go over 36-40” deep it seems a lot of them are 43” which is probably too big for the room.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Home interiors - I really like that too! I was leaning blue but this is really nice. What kind of chairs would you pair with that couch? My husband will be in a chair - I tend to lay down on couch. I always struggle picking out the upholstered furniture.

• RedRyder
    last year

What about a caramel leather chair with HIWE’s arrangement. I love that green couch, and I bet a navy velvet would work too.

@Home Interiors with Ease- what do you think about that idea?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Janet what type of chair (function wise) does he prefer? Does he need a ottoman? Reclining feature?

• njmomma
    last year

Love Love the After The Ball art!!!!

Wish I could find it on canvas. Glass art reflects my tv. Not a good look.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Njmomma - I love it too, she is my mood half the time!

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Home interiors - he is currently sitting in the chair facing fireplace. I was looking at recliners or swivels I was planning to have 2 matching chairs as he won’t move “his spot”. I just don’t want too big. Ceilings in there aren’t even a full 8 ft.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Here is some I’ve looked at.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Njmomma it does come in canvas on art.com

• RedRyder
    last year

Just from looks, I like the first and last recliner. Can you and he sit on them to check for comfort?

The navy blues are gorgeous.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

If you want to add blue I would try to find a lighter Peacock blue not navy….adding a Smokey grey would be gorgeous..and of course a neutral….itwould be my choice..pump up color with rug and your eclectic wall art and of course a couple pillows. Here are a few chairs…the neutral one is a swivel…adding brass accents would add warmth.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Couple more rug ideas and the navy and Carmel chair…would not be my suggestion..too strong and heavy with the sage sofa.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

I did look at that peacock colored chair at crate and barrel I think it was there they also had a purple one too but looks like it’s discontinued. I like too many styles I think. I went to take a pic of my living room before I went to the store because I want some flow since it’s a split level and all kind of open. I was content with living room and I spend a lot of time in there but looking at the picture anyone else would pick it apart (me included) and start over which I can’t do cost wise.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Janet looking at your posted photos at beginning of thread..I would suggest you paint the fireplace wall all white..than the mismatched cabinets will blend in but give and eclectic feel..fill with books and colorful accessories.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

too few rugs available in 10x 10 so a 9x12 might be a better size choice.

• coray
    last year

We have a caramel colored leather sofa…..it looks great with blues and lots of other colors, and it’s not slippery at all.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Here is pic of where a 9x12 would be which is why I prefer a 10x10 it’s a long narrow room divided by the path to the powder room, office and laundry room.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

Room Measurements 2 squares = 1 foot

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

A 8x10 is perfect for your room..

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I did find a 10x10…works nice too.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

The 8x10 doesn’t clear the raised hearth and that would look odd to me.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

With 8x10 you need to center the rug and pull your sofa away from the wall a bit..it really should not be right up against the wall..with 14’ across it is a nice opportunity to add a sofa table behind the sofa to bring the furniture into the space a bit more..you could add a lamp or lamps on it.

• Janet Mmm
    Original Author
    last year

I can try that tomorrow before I need to drag out all the Christmas stuff on Saturday.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

You could also do a 10x12 and turn the rug so that the 12’ goes from wall to wall and the 10’ from fireplace to opposite direction. Would cover a nice area of the room.