SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_984678303

Kitchen and living room help!

Kitchen and living room help!

*Please excuse our not so professional blueprints. We are remodeling my husbands great-grandparents farmhouse that was build in the 1903’s and every inch of this house has had to be remodeled. We are doing all the design ourselves with the help of an awesome local GC.*

What would you change about this layout? How can we make the space more functional, specifically the kitchen? Does the island placement throw you off? Should we turn it the other way? What am I not seeing?? Help me make it awesome!

I am leaning towards turing it to be horizontal because I worry that it should be proportional with the cabinetry behind it. Plus, I would get 9ft or 10ft island as opposed to an 8ft island. We are open to extending the kitchen countertops/cabinets past those windows even though we’d lose natural light.

Here are my worries:

• If we change the orientation of the island, is that going to shorten my living room and make it narrow and awkward?
  • The dining room table would have to be moved if we move the island. Would you move it area in front of the pantry wall?
  • Would you move the living area to face the hall to the back of the house?
  • What about the awkward entry space?

We live 45mins from the nearest grocery store and cook three meals a day in our home. The kitchen and living area is the absolute most important space to us. PLEASE HELP, I am overwhelmed and running out of time. I need to make a decision about my cabinetry soon. Sincerely appreciate all of your help in advance!!

Comments (5)