SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_904733186

Apex AZ1000, AZ1002, AZ1501 conversion to a Vertex lite

J C
last year

I purposefully left out branding naming as Shark makes way too many variance. If you don't know what the model numbers are, use a search engine.

Shark at one time had the Engage AZ2000, that came out a wee after the AZ1501, which was a failed attempt to upgrade the Apex lift away DuoClean M. The main issue was the floor nozzle. Ever since the introduction of PowerFins, and it's saturation in reviews, the top of the line Models with PowerFins have been far from truth on cleaning. They wear down fast and don't agitate carpet, in performing deep cleaning. The onky reason for the push, is marketing ploy to cover cheaping out good brush rollers. Also if anyone should note... the models made after the AZ1000 and AZ1501 had dropped the light up accesory wand/handle

Though the AZ2000 models have only one big feature that begs to be included on all top models. That feature is what Shark calls a DuoCleanMax floor nozzle (AKA, DuoClean Engage), when ordered online. The rest of the AZ2000 features don't mean much, other than good on paper.

Now because of liberal ways limit Internet. Good luck finding any info on the short run of AZ2000 Engage vacuums. So... you will have to rust me.
The engage floor nozzle is a true upgrade from the AZ1000 Zero-M, by using PowerFins in a criss cross V pattern configuration like the brush roller to the likes of the UV810 and integral brush agitator of the AZ1000. There Power Fin does a simple segmented parallel arrangement. Which fails on heavy weave and deep pile carpets.

The easy part is swapping floor nozzles as if you would change an accessory to the wand.

As an added bonus, you get an extra inch width of cleaning path, and ability to vacuum along walls, without swapping in an attachment. Also with the newer floor nozzle, you get access to the inlet hose, through a removable bottom door.

Beware! It is near impossible to find the proper floor nozzle, mostly because the PowerFins variant is all vendors bother carrying.

Comments (2)

• 3onthetree
    last year

"This sounds like a Design Delimma or Home Decorating topic. Seems like our forum mods are lax on proper use of topics, in sub catagories. I could very well ask what type of fire place insert should I get, and place it in furniture."

• J C
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ha! I found some vacuum dude that sez he is a pro... pro repair, but not an engineer. He did two you-goob videos, one on best vacuums and the other on DuoClean (Shark product).

It was a hoot and a holler, which made him sound like a jerky boy.

Any way, i will run down his failed attempts to prove the top of the line Shark products are junk.

1) Proper vaccum can't function when dual rollers are in the way.

2) Proper cyclone action needs to be from top, like Dyson.

3) Front roller is useless.

4) Debris fall every where when vacuum is shut off, and lifted.

5) Filtration leaks from warped seal.

6) Filters are junk, and need replaced often.

7) Broken plastic, roller belt or inlet hose, not serviceable.

8) Motor is not long lasting.

9) No service centers.

10) Disposable and not made to last.

Ok those are the big points and given as open to ones opinion. I shall shoot them down as he did, but with validity.

Note: He took an abused, junk vacuum that was not cared for and clogged, as his only basis for validity.

If he had a good working vacuum and removed the front roller, to do a comparison of with and without, he would see loss of pickup on all floor types.

Suction power is suction power. Debris is forced to the rear not top of any vacuum, by roller design. If your pickup head is without rollers, top suction works best. Suction power is suction power. Debris is forced to the rear not top of any vacuum, by roller design. If your pickup head is without rollers, top suction works best. Shop vac for example.

Cyclonic action happens no matter where it starts from. A vortex is a vortex.

Head design, with the newer Powerfins rollers actually suck. But most of the pre-Powerfins, brushless roller heads are good.

Basically proper cleaning of the head would eliminate issues with suction. Being it picks up 2x as much as most other vacuums, in a efficient way, that can be prone to clog, if not checked. Large items cause it to happen, especially when not careful to pick up. The hose is not like that of a self wash, stall car vacuum, with 2 inch hose.

Most of all the issues he points out are from lack of maintenance. The whole vacuum is modular. With that a lot of care with checking for clogs and proper filtration before use.

As for cheap and not long lasting. Kirby rules for long lasting, but does it work like a Shark... nope!

Specialized vacuums will be problematic, and the best way to get proper service with the masses, is to produce easy to ship replacements that are new. Service centers are for heavier built products that are basic. To me I can get a new part that does not require disassembly, quicker than driving to a service center and waiting for call back. Service is costly when parts and time are added up.

Being disposable is like the old AMC car. You ran it until it broke and bought a new one. Some actually serviced and maintained their AMC, and they still run it to this very day.

I will not knock down any vacuum, it is all about how the user operates and maintains their vacuum. Like any thing, abuse it, and you will waste money. Shop vac for example.

Cyclonic action happens no matter where it starts from. A vortex is a vortex.

Head design, with the newer Powerfins rollers actually suck. But most of the pre-Powerfins with brush rollers in the heads are good.

Basically proper cleaning of the head would eliminate issues with suction. Being it picks up 2x as much as most other vacuums, in an efficient way, that can be prone to clog, if not checked. Large items cause clogging to happen, especially when not careful to pre pick up sight noticeable items. The hose is not like that of a self car wash, in stall car vacuum, with 2" ID hose.

Most of all the issues he points out are from lack of maintenance. The whole vacuum is modular. With that a lot of care with checking for clogs and proper filtration before use.

As for cheap and not long lasting. Kirby rules for long lasting, but does it work like a Shark... nope!

Specialized vacuums will be problematic, and the best way to get proper service with the masses, is to produce easy to ship replacement items that are factory new, for best operation. Service centers are for heavier and pro buid products that are commerical quality. To me I can get a new part that does not require disassembly, quicker than driving to a service center and waiting for call back, when you need to vacuum. Service is costly when parts and time are all added up.

Being disposable, is like the old AMC car... You ran it until it broke and bought a new one. Some actually serviced and maintained their AMC, and they still run it to this very day.

I will not knock down any vacuum, it is all about how the user operates and maintains their vacuum. Like any thing, abuse it, and you will waste your money.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH