SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_os

Suggestions on kitchen layout

Sarah
last year

Looking for some feedback/advice/suggestions on kitchen layout. We are removing the wall between our kitchen and family room and also the wall between our kitchen and dining room and getting all new flooring, cabinets, counters, backsplash, sink, faucet, and lighting for the kitchen. We're seeking an open space where we can watch our kids (ages 2 and 3), entertain guests while preparing food and drinks, and both be in the kitchen without being in each others' way constantly. I love to cook and bake, and my husband loves his espresso machine and wine. This is our forever home.

Here is a link to a drawing of our first floor using SmartDraw. All kitchen, dining, and family room measurements are exact. The rest of the house (hallway, laundry, 1/2bath, living, office) I just eyeballed. https://cloud.smartdraw.com/share.aspx/?pubDocShare=28E5671478B2A9D4549A04B249BCE9FB9C5

I'm attaching a few pictures:

• The entire first floor layout to provide a sense of flow and how the dining/kitchen/family room space relates to the rest of the first floor. This is a picture of the SmartDraw drawing taken with my phone in case the link above doesn't work. I know it's not the greatest picture, but hopefully it's enough to give you the overall flow.
  • Close of up of the dining/kitchen/family room with dimensions that hopefully you can zoom in and actually see the dimensions.
  • I came up with a layout using RoomSketcher. I'm only using RoomSketcher to play with cabinet, appliance, and furniture layout. I do not have a pro subscription, so I can't add dimensions to that image and I don't have access to all the different finishes. So disregard the colors here... just looking at layout.
  • Some 3D pics from RoomSketcher of what that layout looks like from a couple of angles.

A few thoughts on the layout:

1. I'm considering getting a double wall oven and 36" cooktop to replace our 30" slide in range. If I do that, where would I put the double wall ovens? Would a 36" cooktop feel cramped in the space where the range is placed now?
  2. If we put the fridge and pantries in the dining room space, we probably need to move the dining table a bit off center so there's more space for traffic around the fridge. Will it look odd for the dining table to be off center? The dining table is 84"x42" and my uncle made it (including cutting down the tree and drying the wood, etc.) so replacing it with something smaller is not an option--I love the table dearly.

I'm eager to hear what you all think of this layout and what you would suggest changing. Please let me know if I can provide additional info or clarification on anything. And thank you in advance!

Comments (19)