SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitch4me1

Dining chairs to pair with counter stools

Kitch4me
last year

I have an open concept space and i‘m looking for new dining chairs and chandelier. What style would you pair with the rattan/cane stools?

White bamboo, windsor, slipcovers or something else? My space

Trying to get a visual using the same as stools.

To the left of countertop is FR-whites and blues

Inspo pics to follow

Comments (32)

• Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

inspo pics

Open to suggestions, thanks!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

Love your space.

Light fixture #1 is fabulous.

Slipcovered chairs would be great with the table, but you're gonna have to find ones to balance the smaller scale of the table. The one you show seems too big. I'm in the middle of a project, but others will jump in with suggestions.

Kitch4me thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Related Discussions

Modern Adjustable Stools, Counter to Chair Height

Q

Comments (1)
    Contact a Johnston Casuals dealer. This would be a special "by-quote" item.
    ...See More

26' counter stool or chair

Q

Comments (9)
    Just bought (6) leather, low-backed, parson's-styled, chairs from Overstock. Seat height right @ 26" & nicely padded. Bottom of counter is 35.5" with no corbels (used "Counterbalance" supports) & had to pry folks out to the dining room for TG. Height/weight range was a 5'2" skinny-mini to 6'5" > 250 lbs. There seemed to be plenty of leg room. Remember that for counter-height seating, the overhang standard is 15". I think if it's less than that you might want shorter chairs.
    ...See More

Counter stool against counter with no overhang?

Q

Comments (20)
    IKEA adjustable desk legs: https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/gerton-leg-adjustable-chrome-plated- https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/olov-leg-adjustable-black-30264301/ Butcher block counter (rip lengthwise for a 15” over hang - you need a friend w a table saw or you can get a small Skil saw and do it yourself. IKEA KARLBY Countertop https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/karlby-countertop-oak-70335207/ Tried to copy images for you or at least hyper links but didn’t work.
    ...See More

IS a countertop dining table which then can share chairs with island

Q

Comments (2)
    Or you could get stools that are adjustable from 18" to 24" to fit both a regular counter and a dining table . I for sure would not do a counter height dining table most people do not love sitting on stools for dining.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

I see you have slipcovered chairs at either end? Are they staying? I am partial to slipcovered Parsons for comfort and washability, but will the slips match? Id also use lumbar pillows at either end for color.

For looks, I like the chippendale.

My goodness those light fixtures are very reasonable! Get two LOL

Love your space!

Kitch4me thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Oh my I love your rooms! So pretty! ...now to think about chairs and fixtures.

Kitch4me thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Beautiful space and wonderful light. Not sure where you are in the decorating big picture so this may not fit the situation - the DR is full of hard surfaces so slipcovered or upholstered chairs would add softness and sound absorption. But if there is a rug and/or curtains in the long range plan soft chairs may not be needed. I do love your bar stools and a chair version would be lovely but I think getting something different whether upholstered or not will make the space feel separate from the kitchen.

Kitch4me thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

@1929Spanish-GW the 1st chandelier is my favorite too, of course it’s the most expensive. I love your home, so much character!

@mtnrdredux_gw I was hoping to keep my end chairs, that’s why I was considering the wood chairs. But, like you, I like the comfort of parson chairs. So they can go.

I love the looks of the chippendale chairs but not sure if they work with my counter stools? Maybe I need a chippendale armchair in my FR.

I was trying to talk myself into the last light fixture, I like the price! maybe alittle rub n buff. lol Although, DH doesn’t like it.

@Arapaho-Rd thanks!

@DLM2000-GW No on the curtains and yes on a rug. That’s another decision 😬

We do need the sound absorption. It still sounds like we have an empty house.

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, my ipad finally died. Thank you all!

• PRO
    Kitch4me thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Price on this chandelier is amazing…cones in back and white……a black wishbone chair would look great too….mixed with your host chairs..very nice.

• Molly
    last year

I saw this chandelier at Serena and Lily yesterday and it’s really pretty (and 25% off right now).

Kitch4me thanked Molly
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Just found these chairs from PB great price under $200 each..

• Jilly
    last year

Love your house! Is your island blue or black?

I like all of your fixture choices and can’t decide my fav!

I have to put it all together to see. I like all of your choices and think any would work well (I prefer padded chairs, though):

Kitch4me thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Really love the relaxed neutral vibe you have in your home…My entire home is neutrals with black accents and just a bit of deep peacock blue here and there…Carmel leather would be a nice accent anywhere in your home!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

@kitch4me thanks! I've been there almost 20 years and it's been a work in progress. Post the name and maker of the first chandelier and let's see if we can find one for less.

Kitch4me thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

@hiwe I'm liking your chair suggestions, a departure from what I would usually choose. I'm not really into the chandelier. I kind of saw salad bar area, Lol. I need to figure out how to makeup mood boards. It's great seeing everything together. Thanks!

@molly I like that chandelier. I like the rattan on the arms. I've gone back and forth between doing round or linear. Thanks!

@jinx My island is a grayed blue. Thanks for grouping my rooms with my inspo pics, so helpful!

@1929 the light is called Etoile, from Visual Comfort. It's on sale right now, so I'm okay with the price as long as it adds the right touch :) Now to decide round or linear.

Ugh, I'm so indecisive. I'm so jealous of you guys that know just what you want and how fast you make your decisions.

Thanks all!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Kitch4me..I like a lower back chair with your host chairs I think it will play well together…oh so funny about that light…now I can get it out of my head!🤣🤣🤣
    Just saw this on sale eBay..amazing deal!

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I love your house, and i agree with that first light fixture. It is gorgeous.

My favorite side chairs are the ones that have a more open back and show off the beautiful table. For some reason the all-upholstery look doesn’t fit with the overall vibe to me. Maybe 2 parsons chairs at the head and foot and do a similar height side chair.

So many pretty choices, it can be overwhelming to put together.

Kitch4me thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

@Home Interiors with Ease If you’re talking about the PB chair with the cushion, unfortunately it’s no longer available. Thanks for the heads up on the ebay chandelier. Circa lighting has it on sale for two more days. So, I need to make a decision.😬

@OutsidePlaying thank you! It is overwhelming. I don’t have a finished room in the house. We moved in at the end of June. I’m driving my husband nuts, he just wants me to decide and order.

• Jilly
    last year

Salad bar light. 🤣

Is this the PB one?

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/berengar-wicker-dining-chair-mp/

It’s actually an outdoor aluminum frame chair.

Have you checked Ballard Designs? Lots of custom choices you could do. They have a lot of lovely styles leaning more traditional (but a fresh take).

I love love love these good-looking Hooker chairs as two end chairs, from Perigold. Great curves. Perigold has a wonderful selection of chairs, but on the pricier side.

https://www.perigold.com/furniture/pdp/hooker-furniture-sanctuary-slat-back-arm-chair-hkr11337.html?piid=

Trying to think what to pair them with …

Kitch4me thanked Jilly
  • Jilly
    last year

If you like that Foundry light, it’s much less expensive retail, and free shipping:

https://www.foundrylighting.com/products/visual-comfort-s-5316gi-np-ian-k-fowler-modern-ceiling-light-in-gilded-iron

And the Ebay one is open box, I’d be leery of that. I can’t believe they’re asking that price, plus shipping, and open box! Yikes.

(ETA: Oops, sorry, Kitch, I missed that you said you saw it on Circa!)

Kitch4me thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

What is the height of the host chairs you have now? You don’t want the side chairs to be higher. We use outdoor furniture often for indoors..a lot of the Serena & Lily outdoor is used indoors too..no rules with young families they can be much more durable and the fabrics are performance easy care. eBay is a great source many people have found lighting for hafe the price in perfect condition…kitch4me I would never suggest anything I didn’t feel confident about..I do think a-low back chair would look great..wishbone style is classic and works great with your host chairs in all white or black. Have fun!

• nicole___
    last year

Love your space. Nice!

I like the 3rd light fixture you posted....the double. It would be heavier, bigger, grounds the space and does NOT set off in a new direction from the fixtures over the island.

When purchasing dinning room chairs....please think about comfort. I'm always getting stuck sititng in expensive Amish wood chairs that look AMAZING...but are not comfortable. The white slip covered chairs appeal to me...because there may be a padded back and seat under there(Parsons are fine). :0)

Kitch4me thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    last year

Nicole, funny you mention Amish chairs … I have a custom Amish table (30 yrs old now!) my dad gave me, with 6 heavy wood chairs.

A couple of years ago, I ordered faux leather schoolhouse chairs from Overstock because those Amish ones were killing my butt over the years. 😄

So I kept two of the Amish ones on the ends, added pads to them, and the more comfy ones on sides. I LOVE them.

Kitch4me thanked Jilly
  • Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.

It’s also helpful to hear personal experiences. The pros and cons. So no regrets :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I totally agree…

• Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

@Jilly Perigold has so many choices! But yes, pricey. That Hooker chair, my mind just went into the gutter 😂 very pretty. I think i’m leaning towards alittle less traditional. Thank you!

@nicole___thank you! I admit, I’m more about the looks. If we had dinner guests more often, comfort would be more of a priority.

@Home Interiors with Ease Our host chairs are 37.5” tall. I like your last board. It feels more like me. Is it okay to mix the two rattans? Thank you!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Kitch4me..yes you sure can! Mixed textures and all shades of neutrals is beautiful together. The chair is from Serena & Lily..25% off everything right now. Chandelier is Currey & Company..but many chandeliers out there with the same style…just beautiful. The mix of elegant and casual pieces is just lovely together.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Lighting new York has the Currey & Company chandelier on sale

• Jilly
    last year

Oh, Kitch, great choice! Those look wonderful. :)

Kitch4me thanked Jilly
  • nicole___
    last year

WOW! I love that look!

Kitch4me thanked nicole___
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I lovety love love love those!

Just noticed, I have two of these! They are over a table in my foyer. I sometimes wish I had gotten them in the verdigris. Does anyone make a knockoff of them?

Kitch4me thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Kitch4me
    Original Author
    last year

@mtnrdredux_gw those lanterns are fabulous!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES