SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_jordan96

Patterned wallpaper for the dining room

Sarah Jordan
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

My designer has chosen a highly patterned and colorful wallpaper for my dining room in my new home build. While I love the colors, I have never gone this bold before. Are these type of wallpapers still popular?

Comments (32)

• ilikefriday
    2 months ago

I don't think it really matters if they are popular. I love bold walls and therefore would select a bold and colorful wallpaper for my own space. If I were not comfortable with bold spaces then this type of wallpaper in a room as big and prominent as a dining room would be hard to swallow.

From what I can see of this wallpaper, I would not consider it to be ott.

Sarah Jordan thanked ilikefriday
  • Sarah Jordan
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you so much!! Just a little nervous, but I think I want to do it!!

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

Without knowing what your space looks like, I can't be sure, but it's possible you could use this on just one wall. If you're nervous about it, ask your designer what they think about that idea. But wallpaper is a commitment because of the expense of installation and then later the expense of removing it if you get tired of it, so IMO if you don't love it, pass. There are thousands of patterns available so it's hard for me to believe you couldn't find something you love.

• ilikefriday
    2 months ago

Then you should go for it! For me, the best design happens when I am willing to step a little outside of my comfort zone.

• Sarah Jordan
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks for the pics!!

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

Agreed! if you love it - the go for it .. i went with a bold wallpaper almost 10 years ago and still love it to this day -

• latifolia
    2 months ago

I love it, too. If you have good china, from your wedding or your grandmother, check that it looks good with the wallpaper, since you are most likely to use the china in the dining room on special occasions.

• tracefloyd
    2 months ago

Wallpaper is great, always classic. Just make sure it strikes a chord with you. Ask yourself, do I love it enough to look at it every single day? You will never get tired of a classic pattern.

With bold or larger pattern wallpaper like this I prefer it with wainscotting...or at least paint the lower portion of walls under a chair rail. This paper is absolutely charming but all the way to the floor would drive me batty!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

I think I need to know a bit more about the style of furnitire going in the space . The wallpaper to me is a bit Asian inspired and the pics posted are of course not of a dining room . Please give us a bit more context

Sarah Jordan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

The paper selected though nice is safe & a bit retro in style. If you are not an adventurous client, or if you are working with a decorator from a franchise like Decorating Den it's a style that was popular in the 80's and has come around once again.

It's not a pattern that would be commonly used by a top-flight designer. See some of the examples below illustrating new large scale patterns.

Before you commit to the wallpaper make sure you have selected your rug if it's required.

• njmomma
    2 months ago

That is beautiful wallpaper!!!! Go for it!

• Jilly
    2 months ago

“ … if you are working with a decorator from a franchise like Decorating Den it's a style that was popular in the 80's and has come around once again.

It's not a pattern that would be commonly used by a top-flight designer.”

Are you being serious?

These rooms are from an Etsy seller in China who does custom murals. So not new wallpapers “top-flight” (lol) designers currently use.

This one isn’t wallpaper, it’s art:

The Schumacher paper gives me vertigo.

• Sarah Jordan
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The designer that i am working with is highly regarded and a top designer in my area. I dont question his judgement, only my trepidation. The dining room will have wainscotting, so the plan would be to use on all foir walls above that. My taste tends to transitional with a mixture of styles. I like to mix traditional pieces with a few more modern or updated styles. Enclosing a picture of my current DR…will do a similar wainscotting pattern. The furniture will remain the same. The rug will change and artwork will be used elsewhere.

• Jilly
    2 months ago

Sarah your room is beautiful and tasteful and I have no doubt your designer is highly qualified. Ignore the ridiculous and insulting comments…. and quickly looked-up irrelevant Google images posted to prove some point that makes no sense.

• Mrs. S
    2 months ago

I love all wallpaper, including that traditional pattern. That the professional designers have seen the pattern before in their long careers shouldn't stop you from using it! It is still available for a reason. From my socioeconomic status, I would say that Thibaut is probably completely out of my affordability category for my lifetime, unless maybe I decided to buy one roll to cut up and frame, or something. Sounds pretty high-end to me.

I have been seeing a lot of small pattern wallpaper lately, all over instagram accounts I follow, like this:

I am not a designer, but just follow along with newer/older ways of doing things. I've been seeing a return to saturated colors, and lots of pattern. I love it, personally, and I love your wallpaper selection. Of course you know you can google image search "busy pattern wallpaper traditional design" or any combo of words to see so many examples. I am sure from there you can figure out if you're on board with it or not. I would go for it.

Sarah Jordan thanked Mrs. S
  • Ida
    2 months ago

As Jinx illustrates above, that's a gorgeous, classic Thibaut that I suspect would be stunning in your space. I say trust your designer's eye. He clearly knows his stuff.

Sarah Jordan thanked Ida
  • ilikefriday
    2 months ago

I think your space will be fabulous.

Sarah Jordan thanked ilikefriday
  • Jilly
    2 months ago

Friday, I was hoping you’d do a mock-up! That paper will look gorgeous, wow.

Sarah Jordan thanked Jilly
  • Ida
    2 months ago

Friday, you rock! That does look wonderful!

Sarah Jordan thanked Ida
  • tracefloyd
    2 months ago

"The wallpaper to me is a bit Asian inspired... "

No kiddin'?!? Chinoiserie may certainly be used in other than an Asian themed design n'est pas? And you like a mixture of styles. Your furnishings and fixtures would be very nice with it. And yes, hang it on all four walls. Love your wainscotting.

I do like the idea of a mural but in this room, with the tall ceilings and wainscotting, a mural may feel like it's placed too high up on the wall. It might work in a very large room as in the examples. And that Schumacher would make me feel like I was at the Mad Hatter's tea party lol!

I took a while to post this and then saw friday's mock-up. Bravo! Very nice room!

Sarah Jordan thanked tracefloyd
  • lisaam
    2 months ago

The paper is lovely as is your furniture.

One happy detail I noticed in the example pic of the paper in a batroom is that the cool artwork does not match anything. Yay.

Sarah Jordan thanked lisaam
  • ilikefriday
    2 months ago

@lisaam

That is one of the first things I noticed too. I can appreciate that it isn't matchy, matchy but I really, really dislike that artwork for that space. Yikes! Just as long as the fictitious person who owns that fictitious bathroom loves it and it speaks to their soul, I guess that is all that matters. LOL

• Ida
    2 months ago

Yes, lisaam! Such a breath of fresh air to view artwork that gives the impression it hangs in the space not because it "goes with everything", but because that's where the resident wants to see it every day. This is a perfectly acceptable (and to some of us preferable) option that sadly even the professionals contributing here seldom suggest. It takes vision and guts to own art simply because you adore the art.

Sarah Jordan thanked Ida
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 months ago

Hi Sarah - I’m drooling over that paper! It’s gorgeous and I think it’s lovely in your room. I wouldn’t worry about “being in style.” Get what you like - life is too short to settle for vanilla. And, it’s just wallpaper. It’s not a multi year commitment. Love, love, love!

Sarah Jordan thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 months ago

This style wallpaper is timeless and used by designers and home owners for decades. I love your tasteful mix of modern and traditional. Beautiful. Your new dining room will be stunning. Others will want to copy! Do it. And in new home be sure you get your electricals placed in exactly the right spots for your beautiful chandelier and sconces. This is one time I would consider a beautiful mirror to reflect chandelier and other walls. Very special.

Sarah Jordan thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 months ago

Here is rough idea of look. Not sure what your new dining room sizing and orientation is, but this shows concept.

• Gigi W
    2 months ago

It's important to see a full wall of wallpaper since from the book you only see a small portion and some colors look prominent when they really aren't. I love it! If you used the same designer for your current home, I would trust his judgement 100%. Your dining room is beautiful, although I would have chosen a different rug, but sounds like it will be replaced. Flo, is that a basketball hoop in your mock up? J/k At first glance it looked like one.

I hope you post more photos of your home as it comes together. I would like to see more of your designers work. It's lovely.

Sarah Jordan thanked Gigi W
  • Sarah Jordan
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you all for the feedback!! I appreciate all the comments and understand that decorating reflects individual style. But with all of your help and especially the photo mock up from ilikefriday, I have made the choice to go for it!! I guess I just needed a little nudge!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 months ago

Gigi. Good one.

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Thibaut wallpaper is some of the most beautiful- especially if your taste is transitional. I used it in a tiny powder room in a 1925 house and several times in my last colonial. If I didn’t live in a farmhouse, it would use it again..

I absolutely LOVE that paper for your dining room. The fact that you already have wainscoting makes it even better. In my last house we had their Augustine paper in the dining room. We got a lot of compliments on it.

Go for it.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 months ago

Hi Sarah , I use a ton of Thibaut wallpaper and fabrics in my work. They are beautiful and all tend to have a timeless component to them. Chinoiserie is nothing new and it has been around , well since we started Transporting a spices & pieces from China in the 18th century so how many 100’s of years is that? My point don’t worry about this classic going out of style. I am attaching a photo of the wallpaper pattern being proposed in a different color way in a dining room so you can see it in a dining space similar to yours. Coincidently some of the photos shared as being done by “the top designers “ have wallpaper patterns that are in older wallpaper books than the Dynasty collection the Asian Scenic is in. If you love it nothing else matters.

Sarah Jordan thanked Design Interior South