SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_680312217

Help me pick a wallpaper for my powder room!

Meredith K
last year

I just painted my kitchen with BM mascarpone and BM van alen green. So, basically, cream and vintage green/mint. I have a small (4x6’) powder room off my kitchen that could use some color.

The powder room floor is tiled pink and the sink and toilet are pink. More like a blush, though.

I’m looking at wallpaper that is green, but also doesn’t look bad with the pink tile floor. The room is small and not used very often. The pocket door is always open and I think some color in there could benefit the kitchen.

I’m including pictures of the powder room and the wallpaper I’m looking at. I don’t have a huge budget for this as I am still finishing my kitchen and spent a lot on that.

Thank you!

Comments (45)

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

I couldn’t get all the pics in the post

• jackowskib
    last year

I like #3 to compliment with floor. Most others I’m distracted by fruit, seems odd.

• Related Discussions

Months and months later - my koi wallpaper powder room

Q

Comments (38)
    kswl - your O&L paper sounds wonderful! there is a really lovely metallic acorn paper in one of the books now. Sigh... I love so many of them. I used a different O&L paper with hummingbirds in my master BR. trailrunner - I would love share more photos, but I will eek them out as I have rooms more ready to show or get feedback on! Would love to see photos of your home as well! debrak - so thrilled that you noticed the way we designed the rail. That was added. I fell in love with a pedestal sink that was too tall for the existing chair rail, but I wanted to keep the rest of the chair rail at the existing height. So my carpenter and I figured this out. Here is a "before" photo. Quite a difference!
    ...See More

help with Powder room wall tiles and wallpaper

Q

Comments (11)
    I’d look for a smaller, better proportioned mirror and a rectangle shape would better suit your sink. Tape out proportions before purchasing. Now you have room for waterproof sticker tiles, adding one or two strips across sink. The least money/effort, but solves water issue and creates a ”look” which you can expand on. https://wood-insider.com/a/s/products/tile-stickers-dutch-antique-24pc-6x6in-peel-and-stick-for-kitchen-and-bath-bw002-6-24pcs Add new art over toilet for more impact and to feel better coordinated. Don’t forget lux towels for your guests.
    ...See More

The Tale of the Teeny-Tiny Powder Room - 4/23 Wallpaper is up

Q

Comments (87)
    @Allison0704 @amykath Thank you. It really isnt too hard. I have hung wallpaper before, for my mother when I was probably 15. She handed me the rolls, and a tub of wallpaper paste and said do this. It really isn't complicated, it's fiddly. The wallpaper I used was very easy to work with. They print the specific # of rolls you want, and they have varying lengths you can order depending on ceiling height. Pattern-wise the top of every roll is the same. This makes it very easy to pattern match. Cutting around outlets and obstacles, like thermostat, is a little hard. Working in a small space is challenging. The first thing they tell you on the Spoonflower website, is 'recruit a friend.' Well there is no way two people were fitting in my powder room. Fortunately I also watched a video on YouTube and she started with, "I am going to do this by myself, it's perfectly OK to do this with 1 person." She actually also addressed my biggest concern was how to handle the fact that my house is crooked, it's over 100 years and there is not a true, plumb, wall anywhere. She stressed not to line up to the ceiling, but to drop a plumbline and line up your first strip to that. That definitely helped me. I also, deliberately picked a pattern that had swoops and curves to hide my home's quirks.
    ...See More

help with powder room tiles and wallpaper

Q

Comments (9)
    Why not just have the same blue paint you have now on the top half of the walls? Your picture doesn't show the sink so I don't know how big it is. Maybe it would be cheaper to just replace the sink with a small vanity with a marble top and backsplash? You're going to have to remove the sink and toilet to tile that wall.
    ...See More
  • HU-187528210
    last year

GORGEOUS!! Absolutely beautiful wallpaper choices. I’m obsessed!

I like 1, 3 and 5. I think I’d go with number 1.
    Agreed. The fruit does not belong.

The pink floor in bathroom is staying. Correct?

🤎🤍🤎

• kandrewspa
    last year

I like all of them, but I guess I'll go with the first one. #5 is too dark.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! The floor is staying.
    I think ppl are saying no fruit b/c it’s a bathroom, and not a kitchen? It’s so close to the kitchen though!
    Ignore my post Thanksgiving mess, but here’s a pic so you can see the proximity to the kitchen.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

My favorite is 5, I’m worried about it being too dark and introducing more colors in here.

• ilikefriday
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think the last one is better by a long shot. I don't like the others at all.

• cawaps
    last year

I like #1.

• ffpalms
    last year

I love the drama of the papers with a dark background. I’d choose one that includes the soft cream color of the kitchen.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

This is completely amazing!
    Thank you for taking the time to do the mock ups. It’s so helpful! The fruit ones are not doing it for me now.

To ffpalms, are you suggesting the blue background? I like that a lot, and it probably ties in the pink tile floor better than the black one. Do you think it’s okay to introduce a new color, like navy, into the space?

• kbru53
    last year

Beautiful wallpaper. I like 1 and 3.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

Hmm, that Wildwood is double the price and it’s not peel and stick. Although it comes in a longer roll, so it might end up being the same cost in the end.

I wanted peel and stick so I could diy it. I’m not sure how complicated hanging regular wallpaper is?

• ilikefriday
    last year

I watched about 500 YT videos and then decided to try and diy wallpaper that was not pre-pasted. I had to mix the paste myself and then apply it on the back of the wallpaper and fold it and then hang it. It wasn't that bad. I also did a project using several rolls of peel-and-stick contact paper and wallpaper. The wallpaper that had no paste was messy but easier. I wouldn't limit myself to peel-and-stick if I were you.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Near the kitchen, I like this one with the fruit. Powder rooms can usually take little kick so think about painting the ceiling and maybe the baseboard in one of the greens in the paper.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

I just don’t know! It’s taken me months to paint my kitchen cabinets b/c I can only do it on weekends- and not every weekend. I have 3 kids. I wanted peel and stick for its relative simplicity. I just don’t know if I want to learn how to hang wallpaper after this painting project…

• ffpalms
    last year

I do like the paper with the dark navy background, though I haven’t been able to find a paper with cream flowers. The one I posted has flowers that are very pale pink. Here’s another option if you decide to go with the the peel and stick.

• ffpalms
    last year

And here’s just a lovely inspiration pic.

West Roxbury Bungalow · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I like that green/pink option maureen posted. that would be pretty. I like #1 too.

is the ceiling high enough to hang center pendant?

As a suggestion, since you want a bit of drama, I'd save up a tad more for a diff sink.

Let me show you what I mean.

Since it's so narrow, you could do a wall to wall piece of wood w/sink cut out,

or a diff pedestal or console sink. check around online for lightly used ones if budget is an issue.

this is a console style. the marble works w/the pink, thinner mirror/sconces, and blush color walls.

Or, how about this wallpaper w/the greenish/gray and pink, updated pedestal sink, diff mirror and a sconce above mirror?

These pics are just for examples. I'm not suggesting these colors for you room!

The other thing you could do is paint the baseboards/trim a contrasting color

almost like your layout. love this one. if you did the green, maybe do a dark gree or even blush for the trim.

for example, either of these peacock papers might look nice w/the tile and a deep dark green trim

here's the wall to wall option w/some sconces. (again, not this style!) more vertical mirror would give you space on the side for sconces or even to hang some pendants.

since your width is so small, look for remnants of stone at a local fabricators shop. you wouldn't have to have one this high. do a few inches thick from side to side.

even a floating piece of wood could work. I love this idea. it's not difficult to do. here are your hanging pendants, vessel sink (or you could inset it) and the wood vanity top w/a lower shelf!

http://www.kristinalynne.ca/how-to-diy-your-own-floating-vanity/

Here's a link on how to make it^

this one was less than $30 to make.

another style w/diff sink and a wallmount faucet. side sconces.

a small floating wood vanity (wall to wall) could also work. how a about a vintage looking terrazzo countertop? colors are perfect

You could do a wainscot around the room, paint it white, and above it do your wallpaper.

this is a board and batten, and pretty easy and cheap to DIY.

Is this too 'groovy' for you? the colors are nice. (and here they have a floating seafoam vanity w/white top)

• RedRyder
    last year

Love Beth’s ideas regarding the sink.

Back to wallpaper- definitely buy peel and stick if you don’t know how to wallpaper. I still think there’s something better out there for your powder room. The darker paper is much more fun, but it does need a touch more pink to work with the floor - which is more important than working with the green kitchen.

Check out Etsy and specifically Spoonflower.

• Molly
    last year

I saw this on Etsy. It comes in both backgrounds. Something to consider too is difficulty in matching the pattern. Is the wall textured at all? It doesn’t look like it is.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Those sink suggestions are cool, I love the idea of using scrap marble to build something. Maybe down the road.

I could do wainscoting, I started to picture that and it would look good. However, the mitre saw I have couldn’t do the job well and I really want to be done with this whole kitchen/ bathroom. I’m so close! Painting the rest of the cabinet doors this weekend- although I have some big pantry doors left.

Anyway, I had not considered Etsy b/c I wasn’t sure the quality. I went on now and saw these possible peel and stick contenders. Lmk your thoughts!

• kitschykitch
    last year

I like the first one. I think it matches the fixtures better.

Pocket doors on powder rooms are a bad idea. People leave them open and you see the toilet, really bad in a kitchen. I would switch that out.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

Fortunately you can’t see the toilet from most angles :)

As I think more about it, I’m probably going to want to add some molding to the top of the wall? I do like the darker bolder prints and feel like it would be very noticeable if all the lines are exactly straight. That’s probably why ppl added borders to wallpaper in the 80’s.

So if I’m adding molding to the top, I could probably add a chair rail to the middle too. I know I said I didn’t want to get into mitering, but I did frame a mirror last year with molding and it came out great. So maybe I could do this and it wouldn’t be too hard.

Would I paint the lower half of the walls cream, to match the kitchen and transition easier to the pink tile? Or the green that I have on the kitchen island?

I think these are my two favorite wallpapers. The black one is probably my top favorite.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The view will always be exposed. Perfect world is floor matches kitchen and fixtures are white. Better? It's not there: ) But it IS there.

I would not waste energy on paper. I'd paint. Repeat the green, or even go deeper. Put a easy clean/inexpensive mat on the floor. Have three or four for frequent washes.......Your view into the powder? ART. Done in a weekend for a lot less elbow grease or money.

Ignore the pink? It's simply a blush accent.........

Six VERTICALLY hung prints right in your face?? Leopard matt on floor? Adorable!

Or four in your face, two over potty.

Deeper green with Palace Ben Moore!

Or GO with it

Walls, art, front of sink.

That's what you SEE from the kitchen

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

I just wanted to say regular pasted wallpaper, either paste the wall or paper you soak, is easier to apply by yourself than peel and stick. So much easier especially if you’ve never done either before.

• ptreckel
    last year

You have gotten fabulous advice here. A few more thoughts…. When dealing with a dark colored paper, seams can show (white) between strips, so it is not uncommon to paint the walls before hanging with a paint the matches the background of the paper. Certainly you need to prime the walls first. (If they are already painted with latex paint, that will serve as primer.). Primer will help with removal of the paper in the future. Also note…the bigger the pattern, the bigger the drop match (important to note). And the more paper waste. Jan Moyer’s suggestion is a good one…to paint your walls an interesting color first. Add bold art that picks up the pink in your wonderful floor and fixtures (I LOVE them!). If that isn’t enough, paper!!! (I adore some of the bold dark papers that you are thinking about!)

• RedRyder
    last year

@Jan Moyer’s idea is easier if you’re not good at hanging wallpaper. I defer to @AiFL regarding peel and stick paper as I have not used it. Painting the wall a beautiful green and hanging art that makes you happy is a wonderful idea.

If it’s any consolation, I have not done my own powder room for 7 years because I get overwhelmed by the hundreds of ideas and options (that are also running through your head by the look of your posts). Jan gave you an elegant, simple solution. Wallpaper is never simple.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The point is.....to me:

The PR isn't perfect for location, flooring or fixtures. All you need is the "high impact pretty view" into the room. What you probably don't need is "busy busy paper', a lot of time, money $$ or elbow grease.

Even wallpaper often leaves you wanting art.....patterned or not! Just skip the hard part. Go right to the art : )

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I like this wallpaper for your powder room. It's still floral but more in the impressionist style. It would be a great backdrop for the blush fixtures.

https://www.amazon.com/RoomMates-RMK11742WP-Taupe-Dandelion-Wallpaper/dp/B08HG7BCR1?th=1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RoomMates-Taupe-and-Pink-Dandelion-Peel-and-Stick-Wallpaper-Covers-28-18-sq-ft-RMK11742WP/315507793

• Maureen
    last year

If you have never papered, a bathroom is the worse room to start, given the percision cutting (and peel and stick is not any easier, as it doesn’t slide/adjust well).

If set on wallpaper, just add to the wall that is visable from kitchen. Add a great mirror, light and art over toilet My daughter in law updated her powder room in this fashion. Less time/trouble/money and transformative.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

My first and LAST attempt at wallpaper was orange/avocado/yellow plaid in my first apartment, A BATHROOM. . Was it bad? No. But NEVER AGAIN..EVER.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you!
    I considered all the comments and looked up every suggestion.

I ended up purchasing this wallpaper. It’s not peel and stick, but I bought it b/c it was on sale and I have some time after Christmas to learn how to wallpaper. Hopefully it’ll go okay!

• ffpalms
    last year

This paper will brighten anyone’s outlook. So many gorgeous colors to think about accessorizing your kitchen with, too. Thanks for letting us in on your decision. I hope to see the completed room on a future update. I wish you good luck with learning wallpapering skills.

• Molly
    last year

What fun paper!

• Emily R.
    last year

I love that wallpaper!! Post pics when you're done. :)

• RedRyder
    last year

Good choice! It will make a statement in your powder room - and work with the door open!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

If money is an issue, you might consider papering just the wall you see with the door open and painting the rest...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Very brave!

Hope you have 8 rolls bolts which equals 4 bolts. It's a 27 inch half drop repeat. : )

My advice and take it or leave it, most certainly.............!

It's not the paper to LEARN on. It's adorable. But.

By the time you buy the good tools, the bucket of paste, the Kilz to prime the walls, set up an eight foot folding table so you can paste, rest , back fold your cuts ?

You can hire the guy to have it done in a single day, and he/she will bring the junk to do it. (Stick to priming the wall yourself, the day before).

" Oh Jan,,, It's not brain surgery! Anyone can learn to paper!! "!! - yup here it comes. : ) !! Stand way baaaaack Jan!

Just sayin'...... I've papered about 300 powder room in the past 30 odd years. I just haven't done it....... myself lol

• kl23
    last year

Jan is right about wallpaper skills. After trying it myself, I decided it should be included in a pre-marriage test. If you can paper a room with someone, it's a good sign. If you love the wallpaper, get a pro to put it up. I still think her other idea of painting and hanging four floral/bird pictures is simpler, easier, and more tasteful and versatile.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I DO favor the collected prints: ) HOWEVER?

If you must have it ? Do a long FRAMED IN single panel of it smack in your view. Framing it in is the key.....

So. You paint, frame the object of your desire..... and obliterate that pink floor with a complementary mat : )

One width of paper 27 x 72 ish, plus a simple molding. The BEST way to do that is get the molding on the wall first, pant it, and then.........paper within that. (The professional method as with paper meeting a crown molding. The molding comes first)

Frame should be about 26 x 71 INSIDE dimension. You need room to cut in: ) and trim.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I will disagree with Jan. Doing one wall in paper can turn out nicely and allow for a busier paper than would otherwise be comfortable, especially in a small space.

I have hung wallpaper in many rooms myself including those I've pasted and those that were prepasted, but I've never done peel and stick. I'm not sure how it would work as, part of hanging paper, is being able to slide it so that you can get the seams to line up perfectly so they don't show. With it sticking on contact, I would think that would make it much harder. If you do decide to paper yourself, make sure you book the paper (folding each strip glue side to glue side and letting it rest). Also I've found that the fuzzy part of a paint roller, not in the handle, is a great smoothing tool...it allows you to apply enough pressure without scratching the paper at all. And absolutely prep the walls before hand or you will hate yourself when you decide to remove it.

• Meredith K
    Original Author
    last year

Don’t worry- it did cross my mind to hire a professional!

I am just coming off a 4 month project of painting my kitchen cabinets. I’m feeling on top of the world and that I can do anything- but I do want the job to come out right!

However I do remember my mom wallpapering my bedroom in the 80’s. I don’t remember it being a big deal, I feel like she did it in a weekend…

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Scroll back up : We probably crossed. Frame it. ......

• RedRyder
    last year

I have wallpapered by myself - and with a spouse. Yes, it’s challenging but I learned how to do it from a friend (who was determined to wallpaper her baby’s nursery while pregnant) and found it not as hard as people say - if you go slow. Pre-pasted is all I’ve ever done, and the patterns were smaller than this one, it the task is essentially the same.

Read up in the steps to doing it right. Go slow. Have all your materials ready since you have to get the cut piece up, lined up and smoothed while the glue is wet. You absolutely should have a buddy for your first time.

The satisfaction of doing it by yourself is tremendous. Even if it’s not perfect you probably won’t care.