SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_643008993

Granite supplier sold our fantasy brown slab...what to do?!

Zippy Dudar
last year
last modified: last year

Photo: shows 6 slabs of the lot we were assured our counters would be cut from 2 of these slabs

hi - if you're going to answer in a snide or snarky way, please just don't.

My Mom is turning 93 on Tuesday. For the first time in 30+ years her kitchen is being redone.

She and I have planned it over a whole year. We took our time in finding precisely what we wanted and getting good workers (hard to find in rural New Hampshire).

Cabinets were backordered 5.5 months, but arrived in perfect shape--even more gorgeous than we remembered and dreamed--they have been installed beautifully, and the fabricator was here Monday doing templating for the countertops. Counters scheduled to be installed 11/21, with plumbing hooked back up 11/22 (Mom's bday)--right in time for Thanksgiving.

This spring I had traveled through 2 states to lab yards and stone suppliers to find exactly the Fantasy Brown slabs right for us. We even waited until we had found the perfect exact stone before finalizing cabinet vendor, colors, styles, lighting fixtures, etc. for the kitchen.

We paid 50% back in June for the slabs--there were 6 available at the time. At the time we told the vendor we had selected them and these slabs because the Fantasy Brown was very light, that we do NOT like nor want dark browns in our kitchen, and has greenish blue waves that we adored (which we matched not only exactly with our new island, but also we have painted that color below the chair rail in an adjoining dining room). In June when we said that--prior to buying--the woman told us this would be no problem because they would be cutting from 2 slabs, which she said were identical, like cutting a loaf of bread, and that we were not charged by the slab but the square foot, and would likely be using 2 slabs to get the light colors for our needs.

This summer and early fall I called 2x - just to make sure the slabs were still there--and was assured they were. I even went by after hours (given how completely wonky everything has been during and post COVID) and saw for myself that 2 slabs marked "SOLD" were there in the yard, and even took pictures for my Mom and me to admire and excitedly await the cabs coming in and getting these beautiful Fantasy Brown counters!

Wednesday (yesterday), as planned, we went to lay out the templates on the actual slabs. The blase, bored, patronizing young woman in minidress and thigh high boots drawled that the sink and adjoining part would have to be cut from X location. My Mom and I both said, actually, let's scoot it down a foot (and I showed her) to get the light colors and patterns. She rolled her eyes and said, Well, then you couldn't get all the rest of the stone you need for the other cabinets and island. I said "I guess we'll have to do some of that from the other slab, as you'd mentioned this summer." "Oh...if I said that...I don't remember. We're sold out of this lot. There's nothing left except this one slab."

Are there other Fantasy Brown slabs available then? we ask.

My Mom--in good shape, but 93 and it's sleeting outside in the dwindling light--and I follow the young woman who stomps out into the yard striding 30 feet in front of us, talking to the air and pointing at dark slabs after dark slabs. Nothing remotely like our gorgeous slab.

She says "Well, there's nothing I can do....this is what we have for you," flat-voiced and shrugging, looking at the clock.

I said we would need to talk to someone else to help us figure out how to solve this. She said no one else was there but the sales manager would be in Thursday/today. I remember the sales manager and she was a clone of the supercilious unpleasant girl who petulantly "helped" us Wednesday. We are pretty sure he will say the same thing. "Oh, no one should have told you we'd cut your counters from 2 slabs. We already sold the others." (Shrug)

What should we do? What do we say? Whom do we talk to or ask for? What leverage do we have? What recourse? or what can we ask them to do for us?

I already looked at the online inventory of the 2 suppliers they use (2 hours away, in Massachusetts). If their websites are current and updated (which they may not be) all the Fantasy Brown at both suppliers is dark.

We do NOT want dark Fantasy Brown--the slab we love had only the bottom 20% dark We don't want that. It will not even GO with our kitchen and all we have selected, bought and had installed otherwise re: cabinetry and shelving etc. It MAY be conceivable to get the L-shaped piece with the sink and range in it of the part of the slab we want and 2 of the others cabinet counters, but there is NO way the island can be cut from that same slab.

I will ask if they have a remnant -- but clearly the remnant will not be cut from the same lot -- but maybe at least it will be lighter than all the dark stone currently on display in the slab yard.

Any other thoughts? suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks - sorry for long post - and thanks again (not to put too fine a point on this, but my very stoic Yankee Mom almost burst into tears on the drive home...it has been a long process of emptying everything out of her kitchen -- and us staying in a rental house until the construction is done -- and her birthday coming up and Thanksgiving, and this imploding....really, really disappointing)

Comments (31)