SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_157260625

Remodel Kitchen help

Nikki Ray
last year
last modified: last year

February Update:

Hello everyone! It has been a while and we have since hired a kitchen designer and structural engineer to come up with a floorplan that is functional and affordable.

I have always loved navy blue lower cabinets and had planned on navy lowers with white uppers. Now that it is getting closer to renovation and ordering cabinets I am getting cold feet about them. As you can see in the renderings, we have added a wood slat fireplace wall with black accents in the adjacent living room. I am worried this feature wall may clash with navy blue cabinets.

She has done a rendering below to show what it would look like with the wood/black fireplace wall near the navy blue cabinets and would appreciate insight on whether you think this space clashes.

Thank you!

Old Post:

Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and love everything except for the kitchen. We are waiting on our old house to sell before jumping into the renovation. We live in a rural area and I have had a hard time finding kitchen designers in our area. A rendering from a cabinet designer is below in Option 1. Once our house sells I am hoping to get quotes on two options from a contractor and move forward but wanted to go ahead and get some feedback and new sets of eyes on what we have so far.

Our current kitchen layout and photos:

The 12'-6" wall (the top wall in the pictures below) where the fridge currently stands is a load bearing wall.

Ideas for the new layout:

1) Leave the half bath and garage entrance as is. Put a coat rack where the current opening to the living room is and, a between the studs pantry similar to this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2686498/my-new-finished-kitchen-pic-heavy

Rendering without the pantry (the cabinet manufacturer could not add the between the studs pantry rendering)

Idea 2:

Reconfigure the half bath, move the exterior door (to the garage) and the opening to the kitchen down to fit a standard pantry.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The house is a tri-level, the kitchen is on the main floor, and there is a half a floor up to the kids rooms/bathroom and a half a floor down to the master suite, laundry and office.

To answer other questions:

• We have two toddlers
  • We use the kitchen for basic cooking but by no means are chefs - yes the appliances will be a counter-depth fridge, a 30" electric stove, microwave and dishwasher.
  • We use the living/dining area much more than the kitchen but still want it to be functional and have some sort of sight lines to keep eyes on the little ones.
  • Under the kitchen is a crawlspace
  • We do like how the house looks from the outside so weren't planning on moving doors/windows but if it drastically helps the space then we are not completely against it.
  • We plan to use the garage door and back deck for daily use more than the front door.

Picture of living area from dining area:

Thank you!

Comments (31)

• cpartist
    last year

Show us not only the kitchen in 2d as it is now but also how it relates to the rest of the house.

Nikki Ray thanked cpartist
  • mcarroll16
    last year

The first idea is pretty bad. Not enough space on each side of the sink for effective dishwashing and drying, let alone for food prep. A variation on the second idea could work, if you are willing to move windows. Left to right on lower wall: 18" drawer base for silverware, sink, 36" to 42" countertop, range, 18" minimum countertop. Cabinet above the DW for glassware, plates and bowls in a drawer unit at your bar. Apologies, I have to run and pick up kdis from school so I can't check the math on whether this fits. But someone else will probably come along soon with a better idea, anyway.

Nikki Ray thanked mcarroll16
  • Related Discussions

Remodeling kitchen, help, so confused about appliances!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi...Friend am going to give you solution to your problems through this below mentioned website................. am sure that you are going to get cent percent satisfaction for your dream thought in your mind. Here is a link that might be useful: door gaskets
    ...See More

Remodeling kitchen... need help with colors for tile & walls

Q

Comments (1)
    Ezmom, have you been over to the decorating forum yet? The colors you're describing are right up their palette. The gallery also has a lot of pictures arranged by color and room. Do you like are harmonious scheme, with everything blending calmly? A more lively light look or dramatic dark look with lots of contrast? If you don't know for sure, the pictures will help a lot. You can save everything you like and then go back through to look for what they have in common. For what it's worth, it sounds like you might be on the right track in putting a color you both like on the walls and counters. Then you could bring in colors more to your taste or his in accessories and change them out for another set now and then, perhaps seasonally. Have fun!
    ...See More

Novice Remodeler - need help with big kitchen remodel!

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you still looking to remodel your old kitchen? Well, remodeling is the only way by which one can enhance the current look of the old kitchen. Kitchen remodeling helps you to increase the value of your home as it is one of the essential spaces in the home where we spend half of the time. But at the same time, it is very important to hire professionals like the kitchen remodel San Jose CA experts that helps you to renovate your old kitchen in a very flawless manner.
    ...See More

Help! Kitchen island/hutch remodel within an existing kitchen design

Q

Comments (31)
    Update: The pyrolave is a match. We will meet with the carpenter in 2 weeks. We are planning to repaint the cabinets. They are 20 years old now so as much as it pains me to paint over something that is working I think it will make everything more cohesive and it's probably "time" to paint the cabinets. We are considering BM Edgecomb Gray which seems to work with the countertops. The actual limited painted kitchen walls are currently BM Navajo White. I think that will still work. I may have to repaint trim and the ceiling. From what I have found on line it sounds like BM Dove White is a good choice. It's all northern exposure. I am leaning toward a stained island but using pyrolave for all the countertops. I am also considering a painted island. I think the stain may warm up all that stone. Question now: We cannot match exactly the marble tile and we are putting in one little section of open shelves in place of the hutch (over the new counter). Should we just have a painted wall behind the shelves or try to get some sort of matching tile to the kitchen tile across the room? Or should we use the countertop pyrolave as a small back splash? Do we paint the coffered ceiling beams to match the cabinets?
    ...See More
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

Hopefully there will be an option # 3.

1 has poor sink location as noted. 2 better for sink and stove on same run but it’s very crowded by sink but that’s where you’ll gravitate for prep plus dishes accumulating there. There is counter on other side of stove but it might be less instinctive to use that.

If yo bring groceries in through garage, you’ll have to carry them over to set down then back to pantry.
    Somehow when there was a peninsula it was more connected workspace, though I can also see more cramped. But probably you have thought through your must- haves & how you use kitchen.
    Also for real planning thought it does matter as to the other rooms & functions.
    I’m not trying to be a downer, just wondering what are other options , since I’m not as well- versed as to where certain stuff has to stay due to plumbing and such.

Nikki Ray thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • lharpie
    last year

Layout 2 but swap sink and fridge would give you a nice work triangle.

layout one is out because you have no prep space next to sink. your current layout is fabulous compared to this one. layout 2 also not enough prep space (between sink and stove) and dw should not be in prep space.

agree a whole house layout (even if not exactly to scale) would be helpful. i’m skeptical that a small island with 2 support posts will look nice or be very useful because there is a 6 ft aisle.

Nikki Ray thanked lharpie
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

It seems like the pantry and / or coat closet are driving the locations of the kitchen work triangle to be more dysfunctional. I’m not saying to ditch those, but is there some way to re- imagine that storage?
    Or is losing opening up the wall the culprit?
    Somehow your getting a bigger box but sides of the box aren’t arranged as well.
    Some of it will also depend on what cabinetry you’re putting where. I’m not saying that great cabinets can overcome poor layout, but that the bending, reaching, what’s close to where , the very individual aspects of what one person wants right next to stove vs willing to walk to get it— is part of how it feels to use a kitchen and so can be part of the wishlist vs tolerable tradeoffs.
    So that’s something that for me would be integral to the design.

Nikki Ray thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • Buehl
    last year

Honestly? None of the three are very good -- original + 2 options.

Please post a sketch of the entire floor the Kitchen is on. The sketch lets us see how the Kitchen relates to the rest of the home. It doesn't have to be to-scale, but it should accurately show how the rooms relate to each other and should include all interior & exterior doors. In addition, it will help us see how traffic flows in, around, and through the Kitchen. Label the front entry and family entry. The family entry is usually a garage or side entry, but it might not be. It's helpful to know which door you use to bring in groceries.

Questions:

• Are you planning to use the Dining Room as a Dining Room (i.e., a table space)?
    • Tell us about you and your family and how you plan to use your Kitchen. All-adults? Empty Nesters? Children (now or in the future)?
    • What appliances (& their sizes) do you plan to have? I think I see a 30" range, 36" counter-depth refrigerator, 24" DW. Anything else?
    • Where are you flexible? Can walls/windows/doors/doorways change (move, change size, add, delete)?
    • Do you have a basement under the Kitchen or are you on a slab?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last year

If the Powder Room can be changed, we need a full set of measurements for that space on the right as well.

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last year

Based on what you've posted so far:

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last year

As others have noted, you do not have room for a functional / useful island. Peninsula -- maybe, island -- no But, not the peninsula in the original Kitchen.

The posts will make the island even less useful and, b/c it's so small, will look "off".

How large is the Foyer? Can the wall move to the left to make the Kitchen a bit wider in that direction?

Are you willing to close off the Foyer doorway completely?

Where does the Living Room wall intersect with the Kitchen wall?

(Brainstorming right now!)

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last year

To those who know structural engineering: If the top Kitchen wall is taken down part way, what's the maximum safe distance b/w posts or wall segments?

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • mcarroll16
    last year

Isn't that just a function of what kind of beam OP can afford to replace the wall section with? For the right price, the whole wall could come down.

@Ray Pearl, it would be really helpful to see a sketch of the kitchen, foyer, and dining room all together, along with some idea of how you would like to lay these rooms out. Ideas that might make it easier to format your kitchen include swapping living and dining spaces, and/or walling off the kitchen/garage doorway, and having the garage enter into that back corner of the living room.

In the meantime, in the absence of information, here's an idea that leaves most current walls, doorways, and windows as is. I've made the countertops at the window wall countertops 6" deeper, to shrink distance between sink and range a bit. And I've added a doorway that connects to the dining room, so a bit of engineering work necessary there.

Nikki Ray thanked mcarroll16
  • Buehl
    last year

It probably is, but I suspect there's a max span b/w posts without getting prohibitively expensive...but maybe not.

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last year

Here's one idea.

It keeps the range out of the busy path through the Kitchen from the Garage to the rest of the home as well as b/w the Powder Room and the rest of the home. Having to cross not only a wide aisle but also through a busy traffic path b/w the range and sink is far from ideal. The range & Cooking Zone should be in the most protected area, not the busiest!

It does close up the Living Room door - it's replaced with a Pantry in that space. Since it's already framed out for the doorway, it wouldn't have to be as narrow as the between the studs coat closets.

Of course, you could switch them and have the coats in the old Living Room doorway and the Pantry b/w the studs, that would be up to you. However, I would prefer to have the Pantry in the Kitchen and keep the coats out of the Kitchen (as much as possible).

If you don't want or need a Pantry, then you could leave it open.

It also closes up the door b/w the Foyer and Kitchen. Whether you're OK with that, I don't know,.

I left the window wall completely free of upper cabinets. If you prefer more upper cabinet space, you could put them b/w the windows and put in a 30" x 24" Easy Reach in the upper corner.

No, it doesn't have an island. Without removing the wall b/w the Living Room and Kitchen altogether, you just cannot fit a reasonable island in this Kitchen.

If an island is that important to you, consider pricing out blowing out the wall and installing a header & posts. I'll work up that idea tomorrow if I hear from you about it.

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

Wow - I am blown away by all the responses already. I have updated the post to show the whole floor (the house is a tri-level) which I hope will help.

We are waiting to figure out living room configuration depending on what we do with the kitchen.

We would really like some sight lines to the living/dining, and a couple (2) bar stools/seats in the kitchen for homework if possible, but aren't set on the island. Would a half-wall part of the length between the kitchen/living room help?

Truly appreciative of all of your help so far.

• Buehl
    last year

Yes, a half-wall would help!

• Buehl
    last year

Let me think some more.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Definitely helps, but you should price out the difference between a half wall and a beam all the way across that gives you a full island. It may not be substantially different. We just finished a remodel where we replaced a 12.5' beam that had a support post with a PSL beam that spanned the distance with no support. Total cost was somewhere around $4k with engineering (we didn't get exact breakdowns, so I'm guessing a bit). Not a big percentage of the overall project. Once you pay for that, the additional cost of a full beam may not be much more. Especially if you are ok with a LVL or PSL beam that protrudes below the ceiling.

I like Buehl's plan. I would skip the pantry and put a door there instead. That way people can head in and out of the garage without crossing the kitchen. You could put a short shallow pantry against part of the half-bath wall. Personally, I would also go with a half wall that frames a window above the island. But that's because Covid quarantine with teens made me really appreciate the ability to screen off other people's TV and music noise. When kids are young, you want them in sight all the time. Eventually, you really don't. A half wall would make it easier to wall in, or even just add shutters or a pull-down screen when you want more kitchen privacy.

• lharpie
    last year

My other question would be have you lived in this house yet? What don't you like about the *function* of the kitchen? If you haven't lived there I would strongly recommend living there for 6-12 months before starting a major reno to decide how you actually use the house. I'm very glad we did that as what we would have done initially was not necessarily what we ended up doing. Sightlines are great with toddlers, but by 4-5 I'm happy to be able to cook in the kitchen in peace while my kid does something in the living room on her own. I like having separate spaces and separate messess lol. If you aren't big time cooks I might make a small efficient kitchen and keep a kitchen table for the kids to hang out in while you cook.

• Buehl
    last year

I have a couple of thoughts - bear with me, I'm brainstorming!

Have you considered switching the Living Room & Kitchen? That would put the Kitchen in the back of the house so it's not the first thing seen when coming in the front door, put it closer to the deck (admittedly, not by much), and it's not what people see when they look into your home from the front. I don't know if you have a porch or a sidewalk or other close to the front of your home, but if you do, I think I'd prefer to move the Kitchen out of the "front lines" where everyone can see.

Or, move the Kitchen to the current Living Room, move the Dining Room to the current Kitchen and move the Living Room to the other side of the space.

Nikki Ray thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last year

• Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry for the lack of responses today - one of our kids is sick so I did not have a chance to go through all of it earlier.

@Buehl - your ideas are fantastic. I need to think through some of the ideas and walk through the space.

1) Closing off the doorway to the front door/stair case doesn't bother me too much. I doubt we will use that door often and there will still be easy access to the stairs and it does give us a lot more room for the kitchen.

2) I do like having a couple of entry points from the kitchen to the living room just to help the flow . I have an idea on this without taking away from the kitchen but will have to sketch that out tomorrow!

3) I had not considered switching the kitchen and living areas. I am not immediately against it just a little hesitant about all the extra work, but this will be a big project either way. We do not live close to a road/sidewalk so views from passerby's are not a concern.

4) From your helpful feedback among others I think steering away from an island is the best idea and opting for a penninsula or half wall is the way to go.

@lharpie & @mcarroll16 - Thank you both as well. I see your point as not always wanting sight lines. We both work during the day so really cherish our time at night with the kids now but realize as they get older they might not have those feelings too! And I do use the kitchen to sneak a bite of cookie/candy without them seeing me now! I am really starting to lean toward the idea of a half wall that could be closed later but still opens up the space and adds some sightlines if needed.

• herbflavor
    last year

split level has pros and cons..as a kid the lower family room was perfect for private tv watching/ hanging out / etc while adults could be on the main floor or vice versa. Then there was a lower sub level yet where dad had work space/ laundry/ storage etc. These floor plans are not as much in favour now. I would seriously live in the home before any wall removal / big renovation undertaking. The split levels I see now with wall removal on this floor where kitchen is located have a nice nod to the the open concept . It may or may not be correct in various instances. I might encourage thought about that lower level family room .....a project involving a wet bar/ entertainment section added in there might provide greater value. Then you can come back to a much bigger kitchen project in the future. Wall removal here with that family room down a few steps as a secondary area can yield great results. Leaving the wall and keeping in the footprint is harder in a way to make this something special and worth the cost trouble of any big kitchen renovation. Your kitchen is perfectly usable ..when you say it is "the one thing " try to figure out .....is it the flow ? and walled off nature with the original dinette ? or is it the cabinet style/details within the space ???. Something strikes you as needing a change but figure out what that is.....these are transformed spaces with wall removal......again the split level has that extra level with the family room so this kind of change has its merits. I dont think you can know quite yet. Be careful w a split level. Collect some inspiration pics ..they help ideas coalesce . Is the cabinet designer an interior design person or architect or kitchen designer? A holistic approach to these adjacent spaces is what you want... Congrats and I hope you get a good offer on the listing.

Warm contemporary Kitchen and living room in Arcadia · More Info

Franklin Street Residence · More Info

Warm contemporary Kitchen and living room in Arcadia · More Info

Buckhead Ranch - Whole House Renovation · More Info

Alternatively....a banquette built in at the dinette zone offers an upgrade and destination for the seating element. Your wndow height is conducive to a great situation with this concept. Then less might have to be done with the wall "in question" when you get set to redo the working kitchen area. Shown are two different styles.....there is no limit to creativity w banquettes.

Captain Samuel Drinkwater House · More Info

Boston Common House · More Info

Nikki Ray thanked herbflavor
  • marylut
    last year

Congrats on the new home! Wise to live in it 6-12 mo to see what works and what doesn’t about the main floor plan and the kitchen functionality for your family - especially if you have not lived in a tri-level before.

Nikki Ray thanked marylut
  • Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

Hey everyone - sorry for the delay, life got a bit hectic for a few days.

We have been living in the house for about 6 weeks but I do understand what everyone is saying about waiting to actually start tearing down walls, etc. I think if we have a couple plans/ideas in place we can envision it as we live there for a few more months and think through if it would work well for us.

As I mentioned, based off everyone's helpful feedback and seeing alternatives - an island just doesn't make any sense. We are not completely against closing the door off to the foyer/stair area but I do see a benefit in leaving it open if we can find a kitchen layout we like with it open.

Any thoughts on the layout below? The hatched area would be a half wall/ pass through.

For the bar stool area, I was thinking something below - where the stools are on the kitchen side and have half depth base cabinets (with items that are not used frequently).

Thank you to everyone again for all the responses & helpfulness.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I dunno about that. The over hang ( would it be 12” ?) is quite shallow for legroom and the fact that the stools are in a pathway. It’s not quite the same as perching maybe at an angle with a 12” overhang outside a traffic zone. It depends on what’s to be accomplished there.

• mcarroll16
    last year

That seems like a really non-functional kitchen. Worse than what you currently have. Your prep and cleanup zones are squished in one corner, and most of your countertop in locations that are inefficient for good use.

It feels to me like the front windows are driving your layouts, and that you have many more possibilities if you are willing to change those windows. Here's one idea. It closes off the door to the foyer, but gives you a better doorway for access to the dining room that doesn't run into foyer traffic. The gray boxes are assumed support posts, with headers over the peninsula seating and the new doorway. Your current windows are in this drawing, but I'm assuming you would modify their size and placement.

• herbflavor
    last year

keep the passage from foyer to kitchen but shift it down . use the corner where you want these 2 stools at a counter and buy an actual bistro table and a couple small chairs with backs. You have space to make a small but comfortable eating /lite meal area and you seem to be edging toward that but the two stools at a counter is just not worth the trouble. Question re sink under the window.......why dont you turn the corner onto bathroom wall and place pantry or cabs/counter storage there..or fridge there......moving fridge there allows more options for a table where you have stools going in.. Here; smaller scale for your corner which is nicely adequate to do something . dont spend on an entire renovation of this whole space and end up with a counter and two stools facing a wall with a pass through .....you have really ample space .

Rénovation et décoration 53m2 Paris XIe · More Info

A Bright and Airy Renovated Kitchen · More Info

curioussofa · More Info

• Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    last year

Hello everyone! It has been a while and we have since hired a kitchen designer and structural engineer to come up with a floorplan that is functional and affordable.

I have always loved navy blue lower cabinets and had planned on navy lowers with white uppers. Now that it is getting closer to renovation and ordering cabinets I am getting cold feet about them. As you can see in the renderings, we have added a wood slat fireplace wall with black accents in the adjacent living room. I am worried this feature wall may clash with navy blue cabinets.

She has done a rendering below to show what it would look like with the wood/black fireplace wall near the navy blue cabinets and would appreciate insight on whether you think this space clashes.

Thank you!

• Nikki Ray
    Original Author
    9 months ago
  • mcarroll16
    9 months ago

Wow! Just checked out the pictures on your link, and it's terrific. You found a talented designer. Terrific, super-functional layout, and you managed to get the in-kitchen bar seating that you wanted. Especially love that amazing prep space between sink and range that has its own window. Congratulations on a wonderful remodel!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County