SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Painting inside of glass door kitchen cabinet ?

gtdj519
last year

Hi

we are professionally refinishing our kitchen cabinets. they will be refinished in white. i am considering having the back of the pantry cabinet painted a color ( a soft blue or blue/ grey ) i store clear glasses and white servewear in it

thoughts about doing so? if yes, should i do the color the same finsih as the cabinets, or should i do a high gloss so it stands out?

thanks!

Comments (70)

• Fori
    last year

I would replace the shelves with glass ones if practical (like if there i adequate support or it could be added).

Paint the interior differently or use wallpaper or fabric on the interior (or let the interior stay cherry if it's still nice). I don't think gloss is needed because it'll still be behind glass. A different color will be perfectly fine (but then I consider myself capable of repainting if I don't like it!).

If you're worried, remember you can always do the fabric trick if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

gtdj519 thanked Fori
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you bry911

i like the idea that others and yourself have suggested about painting a removable board. its a good suggestion and one I didnt think of. Glad to have it being brought to my attention.

thanks for the stain/ paint explanation. I can tell you are very knowledgable about this and I appreciate you sharing the info . really interesting and good to know. Thnaks so mich!!l I love it when a member is kind in their response and doesnt push their own personal agenda. appreciated.

• Related Discussions

Where can I buy the 'glass' for my glass kitchen cabinet doors???

Q

Comments (3)
    What's all this fascination with HD? Call local glass suppliers, or, better yet, find an art glass shop that makes stained glass panels. They'll have a good selection of fancy glass. That's where we got the glass for our kitchen cabinet doors.
    ...See More

Where can I buy the 'glass' for my kitchen glass cabinet doors???

Q

Comments (12)
    This is probably too late to help but I just went through the same thing. My contractor's glass guy quoted $560 for 9 12" high doors with clear safety glass and 2 24" doors, with white laminate safety glass. I thought that was outrageous so did my own research. My local hardware store owner was willing to do it for $300. In the end I used an actual glass store less than a mile from home and paid $275 for a really great, professional job. The glass was installed with silicone instead of the unsightly clip/screw system.
    ...See More

X-Post - Painting inside of black glass from cabinet white ???

Q

Comments (1)
    What is the interior of the cabinet now? My stained cabinets have a natural maple interior and I would be inclined to leave that -- except for the blue/grey splash tile. White seems stark. Perhaps look at a color in the tile so you have contrast, but no so stark? You can always add LED lights that are battery operated if you find you need light but can't or don't want to wire them in.
    ...See More

Painting Inside Kitchen Cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    Are the cabinets now painted on the inside? If not, don't do it!. You can most likely clean them up with a bit of mineral spirits if they are wood, or a good household cleaner if they are melamine. They will have to be thoroughly cleaned before painting anyway, so clean first and the decide. Remember - good shelf liner will hide nicks and stains.
    ...See More
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you fori! great suggestions. very true about gloss behind glass.

i like the idea of paintinf a removable back board. i think i may give that a try and see how both finishes look.

• Kate Smith
    last year

Clt3 can you share the color of your island and what color your walls are? If you could post a picture of teh walls, that would be great. I love your kitchen.

• clt3
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Kate Smith The walls are Sherwin-Williams Sea salt and the island is S-W Aquaverde.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Painting the interior a color will be gorgeous with the cabinets all white..another option is to replace the clear glass with antique French mirror..it would look amazing..we just finished our kitchen and removed the glass so It can be storage instead of display but the mirror is so elegant we love it.

gtdj519 thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
  • tfitz1006
    last year

How about some peel and stick wallpaper?

• Nora Lambert
    last year

gtdj519, I hope you have not been too put off by the negativity of some poster. I LOVE a white kitchen. I think you will be so pleased with your final product. As for the color inside the cabinet, I think a peel and stick wall paper or painted board would be the way to go. Good luck and I hope you will post again when it’s all complete.

gtdj519 thanked Nora Lambert
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Are there puck lights in the interior of the cabinet? If not I would consider putting a couple in and replacing the wood shelves with glass. Painting the interior a contrasting color would look fabulous. If blue is an accent color in your home then it would certainly be stunning with white and clear glass displayed in front of it. I woud make sure that the color you choose compliments other colors in your kitchen and home. A high gloss would be pretty but can also be reflectinve equaliing two reflective surfaces compounded. The glass and the paint. I would likely keep it a satin or at most semi gloss. Depending on the style of your home wallpapering the interior in a colored grasscloth could be beautiful as well. What are your plans for counter, backsplash and hardware? Here are two cabinets photos with blue. These are bold blues but something to take a glance at while you decide.

gtdj519 thanked Design Interior South
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Nora….

im not put off by negative posts sbout this question at all. Iopinions dont put me off, but rudeness and sarcasm does. no need formjt, but it seems that that isnthe only way certain posters know how to communicate, as its a repeated behavior by them. sad and weird on their part

i am very confident and content with our decision to remodel a white kitchen. i had a light maple kitchen for 10 years in our previous home and then this cherry wood kitchen for 10 years when we bought this home. we have had our fill of wood kitchens, and are looking forward to a white kitchen. Thank you for posting and i will post pics when im

done.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you design interior south. I like the grasscloth wallpaper idea. that sounds really nice. I just may try that or a removable painted board and see which I like better. thanks for the idea

I was thinking a blue- gray color , as our quartzite is a blue/ gray color. just installed today. The pics do not represent the color well at all. the close up pic is the truest to the color in person

i

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

gtdj,,,,, I'm with you. I looked at my wood cabs for 14 yrs. They were custom built, solid wood, in great shape. Upon closer inspection (that don't show in photos) the finish was worn and uneven. And, like you, I was tired of it. No, I didn't want a new hair cut (!). (I have pics of mine below if you're interested)

People love to argue when it comes to painting wood cabinets.

For the inset portion of yours, I'd prob remove those muntins and do either a clear glass or decorative glass.

you could keep them white (top left/right), line the inside w/a wood veneer (lower right. more infor on that further down). Or paint the inside a dark blue, black or any color (lower left)

here's one w/black inset, wood shelves and a seeded glass, no muntins. I like this look

Since you have such a thick and high crown molding piece, you could also do some nice sconces like shown here on spot above these doors. Also no muntins. this is seeded glass. can't tell if there is interior lights or if the other lights add to the illumination.

some before/after of mine. I did a ton of work to update.

Removed all of the ornate trim work around the island and the crown,

Removed the OTR micro and modified drawers below the wall oven to accomodate a built-in version. Also closed the open shelving in the island and added two new drawers (love those)

had a new custom vent hood made and did all of the walnut trim myself (including window)

The type of painting you get is paramount. I had a sprayed lacquered matched to BM colors. The bases were done on site, everything else removed and taken back to their shop

I did the walnut veneer on the inset portion

I got the idea for that from this: (which may be an option on the inside of your cabs?

you could do a paint color, or do a wood veneer

anyway, just thought I'd show you another side to painting wood cabs. As you can see, leaving them as is and merely adding some hardware, or new tile/countertop wasn't going to cut it for me.

How are you getting them painted?

is your countertop Ijen blue?

I think adding some type of natural white oak (trim work, open shelves, interior shelves, etc) would be a nice addition to the blue gray. If you can, do the island legs/base in a white oak.

soft gold looks great w/this stone

These colors would be very pretty w/that stone. I like the dark vent hood too

If you can't do a natural oak island, what do you think about painting your island a shade of blue gray? something like this look? or that wrought iron color, above?

gtdj519 thanked Beth H. :
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Beth H i love how tou reworked what you had in place. The remode looks incredible and so beaurtifully done . You must enjoy the kirchen so much. thank you for all the great ideas; absent a new haircut 😂 such a moronic statement LOL.

I am going to tell them to paint it white, and then go over all these great ideas I

received glass shelves, painted board, wallpaper etc.and see which ones ill try out; as I like that thet are easily chamged if I dont like it.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Also Beth H my floors are white oak, they are being resamded , so im glad

you think they will look nice with blue /grey. yes yes, the cabinets are being professionally refinished. doors were taken off and brought to the shop offsite for priming.. todat everytning was papered and taped , tomororw they begin 2 coats of primer and then the cases/ moldings are finished here in the house dooors will be brought back and put back on obviously.. satin finish BM paint. I made sure that if we were going to refinish them, we were doing it professioanlly and not just slapping paint on with a paint brush . no way

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Everything papered and taped and ready to go for tomorow

• Nora Lambert
    last year

Exciting changes coming your way. Enjoy the progress.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Beautiful Quartz!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

So will they be using BM paint? like Advance? or their special cabinet paint? or what about a pre-cat laquer? I hope it's more of a lacquer finish rather than their regular paint.

Looks like they're spot on w/their prep treatment. they did sand first.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you design interior sourh the cournetertop is a quartzite. - which im a bit concerned abojt ; posted in a separate thread asking about whar looks like dark water marks/ saturation

berh h , yes yes, cabinet cases were cleaned, sanded and then wrapped . they use a bramd called melesi coatings. ihe recommended a satin finish. i didnt want a creamy white or a white wirh any weird undertones, so i chose chantilly lace if he uses BM specialty fresh start primer.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Chantilly Lace will be beautiful. Dark spots after install can be caused by the accelerators they use in the glue. Remedly that before you do anything with it. But once it the dark spots are remedied make sure to seal it as oils, wines and such can stain it.

• bry911
    last year

@gtdj519 - Milesi is a great coating and fairly safe once the reactive ingredients are bonded, but it does contain isocyanates and so I would probably recommend staying out of the house for a few hours after spraying.

I am not trying to scare you, it is a coating that I am comfortable having in my home, but I would grab the pets and take a day away while it was being sprayed. Just FYI.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you bry911

i too am very cautious with products being used in the house.

while thenworkers are here, i keep all the windows open , sliding glass door open , close bedrooms doors and open windows in there as well. We are in NY, so cold here and very windy for air flow.

we are also fortunate thar we habe a 4 level home with a furnished downstairs.

we stay downstairs while the work has been going on, also keeping wimdows open. we have 2 daughters ( one with asthma) and a dog. so we try ro be as careful as possible. we unfortuantly dont have anywhere to go, so we just stat downstairs 100 percent of the rime. Hopefully that will be okay

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

You did scare me a bit though. im a bit nervois now -LOL

isnit any different than other paints? thisnisnwhat we typically do when having work done. is what we are doing safe enough ?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Today they are doing the BIN zesser primer ( 2 coats) they tapes and shielded the kitchen in plasric. Shoudlni be concerned wothnehats hapoening today?

monday will be painted with melesi.

• chloebud
    last year

“Are there puck lights in the interior of the cabinet? If not I would consider putting a couple in and replacing the wood shelves with glass."

Agree…interior lighting with glass shelves is really nice.

gtdj519 thanked chloebud
  • Fori
    last year

Keep out of the stinky area, ventilate well, and you'll be fine. This stuff dries fast. It's gonna be nice!

• bry911
    last year

I don't really know how to respond. I typically act with an (over)abundance of caution for respiratory irritants as I have asthma.

Before I scare you too much, I have chosen Milesi before and I would absolutely do it again. Once cured it is a durable and safe coating and the isocyanates used in poly's are safer than many others and there are only small amounts, but I would still recommend removing any chance of air circulation between the spaces and stay completely out of the area for at least two hours after it is sprayed. They are still isocyanates...

For asthmatics even small exposures can be problematic. Again, I am not trying to dissuade you from the product, only encouraging an abundance of caution.

gtdj519 thanked bry911
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I understand and appreicate your resposne.toy sre justifed in being cautious and I appreciate the heads up. i also scare easily .

we stay in our lowest level of the home

the kitchen entrance is to the left of the door. we keep the door shut and stuff towel/ fabric under the crack. the staircase leads down to family room where hubby works . the second smaller staircase is to our finished lower level lobing area, which isnwhere we stay during renovation. excuse mess, everthing is upended right now we only go back up to oir bedrooms to sleep , or me to cook dinner in the kitchen, , as i do have access to our stove..we eat downstairs in the lower level.

all windows, sliding glass door are kept open for ventilation .

on a good note, we have been down here all day so far with them priming and we dont smell anything at all. Will this srranent be okay for monday with the melesi ?

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

You can keep the interior of the cabinet in wood, or paint it in the colour of your choice, and also wallpaper the back. If you paint, I suggest you paint a test board 1st.

gtdj519 thanked lisedv
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

cabinets are refinished ! So glad we chose to do so as it is so much brighter, lighter and fresher looking than the wood we previously had. very happy wirh the results. i decided to leave the back of cabinet white and use the great idea of a wallpaper to add color to it. im thinking a pretty grasscloth blue/ grey would look nice. will alfonget glass shelves . thank you to those who gave me those great ideas to try it love the ideas!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

What a change, looks fantastic!

gtdj519 thanked lisedv
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Right lisedv??!! i cant believe how didferent it feels. i feel so energized just walking into rhat wash of beauiful white. ive never had a white kitchen of my own, but always admired them. So happy to have given it a try. thank you very much! Still more to do, but finally feel on oir way!

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Looks great! Love the idea of grass cloth for back of cabinets. Enjoy your new kitchen!

gtdj519 thanked Lynn Lou
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks lynn lou. im excited to try the wallpaper in there ! so glad it was suggested

• gigi4321
    last year

Gorgeous!!! You must be thrilled with the results! I love your counters too, great choice. Have fun decorating. And please post a pic when finished!

gtdj519 thanked gigi4321
  • Nora Lambert
    last year

Absolutely gorgeous. So happy you took the white kitchen “ plunge “.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

wow. that is gorgeous. I love your stone. when you're ready for decor option, try this on the island or in the corner somewhere. the wood and the blue/white will look amazing in your space

I hope you're doing some open wood shelving off to the left. some walnut or white oak would also look amazing.

here's a walnut, diff window covering and some 4x4 white zellige tiles

this might be a nice color for your tile

I think that one and this one are both from Winchester tiles. (this one also look like Tilebar Cadenza, wales gray)

zellige? they have all colors. but I do like this slate

softer blue gray color.

love that wallpaper too

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your nice comments . appreciated

Thank you beth H

beth H; yes! we sre doing exactly what you said and adding shelves to that open space next to the cabinet. i am planning on doing them the white chantilly lace though , like the cabinets. i do like the accent decor in the oak wood and the blue pieces. thats a suggesrion. i would absolutley do that in the spring time! perfect for that time of year

our floors are white oak, and they will be getting refinished soon.; just natural clear cost. no staining we extended the countertop, didnt want to disrupt the pre existing crown molding, so we sre going to take the backspalsh tile straight up to the ceiling and add 2 or 3- not sure yet ) shelves.

only thing im not sure about, is i see you have a sconce light in the mokup; do i need one? reason being is that all lighting/ wiring has been completed. i guess i could ask electrician to add one if needed, but they will be wooden shelves . the light would just light up the top shelf , no ? i always thought lighting looks best above glass shelves , , as it shines through it it. maybe im just wrong in my thnking though .🤷‍♀️

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Do you need one?

not really, but I'd seriously rethink doing white shelves

unless you want this sort of look?

white shelves w/sconces

This one actually looks good, but only because it has wood cabinets!

Here's how it looks w/your white cabs

The next two are w/wood. one w/sconce and one without. You decide what you like

white shelves w/white tile. next to a window, so the scone would be redundant here.

if you do a white tile, that end spot will sort of resemble this layout. youll have space above the top shelf

you don't have to do a light, maybe some type of greenery or plant?

I just really like the look of the warm wood w/all the surrounding white

Here's a natural white oak to match your flooring.

oak w/sconces.

now compare it to the white shelves, white tile, no sconce.

which one do you like best? I like the wood, but it's your kitchen.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thankyou so much beth H .very helpful to see all the options. the white oak shelves do look very pretty , but i also actually do like the look of the shelves matching the caninets. for 2 reasons.

one is i like the clean uniterupted look of how the shelves would blend with the canients

second is my dining room set is now incorporared into the kitchen. DR set is a dark black cherry color, and the wainscoating around the DR / kirchen is also white. i think wood shelves will stick out more , maybe not be so cohesive looking. once it all comes together.

i just dont think the wood look is what im going for in ths case; alrhough no arguemtn they look oretty. if my DR was more casual / white oak color etc, then yes, but its not. its a little more formal looking.

• H D
    last year

Love how your kitchen turned out!

gtdj519 thanked H D
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

I think your kitchen. Is timeless and although the oak shelves are very on trend currently I would consider banding the front of white shelves in the same finish your hardware is going to be and then tying your lighting finish into it. If you are familiar with the kitchen designer Christopher Peacock one of his signature looks is drawer fronts that have the metal finish. Trying to post a photo and it isn’t cooperating. You can look him up his kitchens are beautiful. I think banding the front of the shelves like this could be incredible.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Design interior soith thank you for your kind compliment and fantastic idea. i love the sound of that! i have never heard of it before, and i looked up christopher peacock. omg drool worthy. so goegeous. i didnt see exactly whar you are describing, bir is whar is on this hood metal banding as your describing? i like hiw it had the small circle detail. if youre suggesting this around the eeges of the shelf, i think that is very unique uet understated. i am doing a mix of bushed nickel/ chrome . appliances are SS, caninet hardware will be beished nickel, pendant lights rods ( glass globes) and faicet chrome .how would ineven go about finding someone to band the shelves? never heard if it before, but interested to learn

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

You can buy it on Etsy or go to a metal fabricator in your area with the shelves .

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! i am hoing to look into it

would you suggest the metal just on the front or on all 3 aides?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thats a really nice idea as well. I like that

if you can post a pic of a shelf with the metal band , please do . i can pictrue what youre describing, but havent found a pic yet to show contractor/ metal fabricator to inquire.

The railing is a good pic. ill check that out too . thank you for sharing these great ideas .

i actually posted on another thread this evening about what ro do about tile behind the shelves. if you have any inpit, i appreciate it. youre ideas are great ..

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Other thread is titled ” hiw many open shelves” thanks!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Update…

its been a while but I decided to add wallpaper to the back of the cabinet .

i did it on poster board that i can easily remove it/ change it if i get sick of it and not damage the cabinet .

its a subtle print and i think it looks pretty with the rest of the kitchen and it goes beautifully with the DR wallpaper