SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillanntn6b

I prefer a November with roses, thank you very much

stillanntn6b
last year

Many, many years I've had roses on my Thanksgiving table. Whatever was blooming.

Somehow, things have changed.

Two and three years ago we had wet summers (and the rest of the years weren't dry months, either). The trees, big old trees have grown. Some down along the road have added twenty feet of hight and hide our view of the Smokey Mountains until leaf drop.

This year is just ornery. August had two inches of rain, all of it the first week, September had 1.7 October said "hold my beer" and had 1.46 inches. That rainfall didn't shut down the Noisettes, but the rest of the roses slowed remarkably and (we have a well) we began to worry about stressing the well. The roses for the most part didn't make many buds at all.

Now we've already had light freezes. We are forecast to have six nights in the low 20's. Maybe Old Blush will come through, she has before. But I wonder what this will do for the plants' overall health.

There were fall days when the cold stayed up north and the shortened days going into December meant very few buds were being formed. This year is going to be a very different kick to the roses' instinctive slow down going into winter. We are wet. I guess it's good that it's a cold wet as fungal problems don't seem to appear when the temps are consistently below 50.

Several years ago I asked Lynette (In B.C.) if there would be roses blooming near her if we went to western Canada for Thanksgiving. She laughed and said the roses would be long shut down and the Evergreens would be doing their thing. She might just have unknowingly directed me to the next iteration of some of our gardens.

Comments (15)