SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamieval

Marvin Windows- Big Install Issue

jamieval
last year
last modified: last year

Hi everyone,

We purchased 14 Marvin Ultrex casement replacement windows (for a home built in 1982), and now we are having big issues with the Marvin dealer + installer (both the same company) I have a call out to Marvin, but in the meanwhile, I'm interested in the experts opinions.

Over 3 weeks ago, a crew of 3 people came out to our one story home to install 14 casement windows. We were told the job would last 2 days. They moved quickly and after about 3-4 hours, most windows were installed. I went to talk to the lead- he said there was an issue with the way the windows were measured- they did not account for 2.5" of stone work on the exterior (casement windows sat inside perfectly fine, the 2.5" was stone/mortar on the exterior). Several of the windows cannot open due to the mortar/stone covering.

We had a stone mason come take a look (sent by the window company), and we were given the option to cut the stone back at an angle + remortar, or to take the stone away completely & repair to create the 2.5" needed around the opening. It's now been almost a month since anything has been done, & the company has not been returning calls or scheduling repair work as promised. The windows are not insulated with foam/caulk, and it has been cold/rainy since they were 'placed' (only with screws, no foam or caulk).

My questions:

1. Is there a proper way for this to be repaired? I'm worried the company is just trying to do a quick fix to get this project out of the way.

2. The windows are Ultrex (wood interior/fiberglass exterior). With them being somewhat open to the elements the last few weeks as we've had several hard rains (& I can see light through the cracks), should I be concerned about the integrity of the windows? I'm calling Marvin to get the answer, but I'd appreciate other expert opinions. Do you think this may cause issues down the road?

This has been a very stressful experience! This is only one of 4 companies I found on Marvin's website @ "Find a Dealer" in my area, so this wasn't a fly by night decision. Now I'm regretting using this company.

Thanks in advance, & I'll look forward to hearing from you... ~ Jamie

Comments (20)