SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Some Cold-Hardy Satsumas and How I Planted One

John 9a
last year

Apologies for being absent from here so much in the last few years. After the super cold freeze year before last, I have been focusing on other things. The freeze took out some really nice citrus (beautiful calamondin, lots of lemons, and a blood orange that had just given me a bushel of wonderful fruit) but I have some Ponderosa lemons coming back very nicely from the roots (seed-grown), both kumquats survived, and my best Satsuma orange (Owari) came through without flinching. Ok, enough on catching up!

I recently lost a very nice red oak and was lucky enough to have been able to use the trunk as a lever and uprooted the root ball. I hauled out a bunch of gummy clay and brought in several trailer loads of river sand to backfill the hole. I tilled in the sand with the remaining clay to get something that's probably 90-95% sand. There is no doubt this will be like a huge pot of sand in a gummy clay pot but the sand area is plenty big for a large citrus tree's root zone.

Today I visited a local nursery and ran across some cold-hardy citrus, very new to local stores, and produced by a grower right here in my own town, aptly named Orange, Texas.

Here are the three varieties and hopefully some of you in the more northern zones are able to find them.

Bumper Satsuma to 20F

Orange Frost Satsuma to 15F

And Arctic Frost Satsuma, to 10F

I think these tolerances are probably for a mature tree so I'm sure we need to protect them during cold nights for a few years.

Comments (19)