SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
hermorningcalm

Please help me salvage this interior

Ashley Lee
3 months ago

Welcome to our brand new apartment in South Korea.
Although it's a new build you don't get to choose any of the finishes here. So yeah, I know all of the fake woods have different undertones but that's not my fault. 馃ズ
And although we own it, any big changes (like the floor) need to wait at least 7-10 years since it's wasteful to change it now with no wear and tear.
We have a bit more than $20,000 (or 30 million won) to spend on furniture/decor/light reno.
I'm feeling quite hopeless, I don't even know where to begin for this space. I haven't been able to find any inspiration pics that resemble it.

Comments (38)

• everdebz
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Congratulations on your new place. It's a lovely neutral I'd call toasty. You'll have to start saving photos.... what is your response to this with textured rug, bright colors reserved for art and pillows only.... ?

Uptown High RiseMore Info

Uptown High RiseMore Info

HGTVMore Info

• everdebz
    2 months ago

Idk if dining table ever needs length with a leaf. If not, this type table with a bench on 1 side?

HGTVMore Info

W 75" / D 35.5" / H 30.5"

Bedford 75" Rect. Dining TableMore Info

• Related Discussions

Need help salvaging blackberry plants from trade

Q

Comments (1)
    Get those plant out glass water and into soil they die in all water. When you transplant blackberries there no need try save flowers and leafs just roots and crown all you can save. Go plant them.
    ...See More

Help Salvage my Goreous Grapefruit!!!

Q

Comments (10)
    That would be nice. I would love to have good peaches, apples and strawberries. The ones around here are horrible. To think I used to have enough in OK to fill an entire chest freezer every summer with fruit. I am planting blackberries, a fig, pomegranate and dwarf peach this fall. Also, going to experiment with annual strawberries and annual rhubarb this winter. This winter, our neighbor was putting big grocery sacks of oranges, tangerines and grapefruit on top of our fence. My husband was bring bags and bags home from school. We have two lemon trees and my parents have one. I drive by dozens of orchards and they sell seconds of oranges/grapefruit in 40-50 lb boxes for 4.99 if I need some before the neighbors start giving it away. My little electric citrus juicer for $29.00 earns it's keep! I buy a big box or two and juice 1 gallon at a time,getting about 2-4 gallons per box.
    ...See More

Help me salvage the catastrophic bathroom

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm sorry if I was unclear. The preslope was done, then it was hotmopped, then a mortar bed was laid above the tar. In other words, the floor tiles are not set directly on to the tar with thinset; there is a mortar base under them. The walls have wonderboard under the tile. I think there's green drywall behind that, or tar paper. Can't remember that far back. Renee
    ...See More

Painting Interior Trim - Please help me!

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to try a few different products in various spare rooms and then decide which one I get along best with. Faron - That is one smooth finish! I actually am having a hard time believing there is wood under that paint. Where do you get that brand? Christophern - I think you are right about the primer, I just needed to put it on a bit more evenly the first time. Paintguy - I had never heard that oil based paint yellows. Are we talking in months, years or decades? I had the BM designer come help me pick out a white and she choose vapor, which is actually a pretty yellow off-white. I definitely don't want it to go any "yellower". I might have to use the waterborn SI in the bathrooms. Can I use that over the alkyd primer? I am off to finish the chair rail today, I welcome any additional advice anyone has before I start the trim on the main floor. Thank you all.
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    2 months ago

Please list what people need as to seats, and tv, as to dining.... whether computer work will be done in the 'public space', etc....

and what are the 2 empty spots to be?

just a 'find' to show -

Martha Stewart Faye Gold Foil Ginkgo Leaf Wall ArtMore Info

• everdebz
    2 months ago

I'm not saying you should buy this; my question is whether you have valued, liked item -- just say it's this type color, you could consider repeating the color in dining area.

You want to think of the mood and feeling you want: there's vibrant contemporary, there's soft garden fresh, there's traditional... maybe you like an eclectic mix of "finds" from your fun times shopping..... ?

71" Contemporary Semi Gloss Brown Oval Dining Table for 6 PeopleMore Info

• shirlpp
    2 months ago

Are you putting a tv in the common area? If so, then choose a wall and decide upon furniture layout.

Do you need a light fixture that big? It's nice, but rather large. Is that where you will dine?

• arcy_gw
    2 months ago

What do you already own? Homes are built over a lifetime. Items acquired, gifted, inherited. The richest homes are not purchased in a day of shopping. Hopefully you have things you can use while you seek what you like most. Only buy things you LOVE and it will all work out.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 months ago

Hi. I think you found a great place. I think the woods are fine. But, at least on my monitor, the wall paint color is not working. It is looking a cool green. Could be the lighting? I would recommend a warmer off-white.

The first step is to collect ideas. Don't worry if they don't resemble the apartment you purchased. This step is only to find what You like. From there, most styles can be incorporated into this home. (Although modern is what fits it the best).

Google "modern Korean apartments"

What style do you like?

Do you have any existing furniture you want to use?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

You first need a drawing with dimensions, every inch, of the entire place,

How you entertain, how you like to watch tv

That's where you begin. It's called a plan. Shopping is AFTER you have............a plan.

• tracefloyd
    2 months ago

Inspo photos? These have your wood tones. I agree, with a floor plan we can plan arrangements more precisely rather than suggestions.

Better ResidanceMore Info

GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Mandeville Canyon ResidenceMore Info

Light Floors - Merced Vinyl Plank FloorMore Info

Modern Living RoomMore Info

Modern Living RoomMore Info

Twin Peaks Escape PadMore Info

CT Pool HouseMore Info

Outlook House - Los Angeles, CAMore Info

Modern RemodelMore Info

1474 El Tejon Sacramento, CA 95864 Home StagingMore Info

Park City, UTMore Info

great roomMore Info

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 months ago

As Jan Moyer suggested get your place drawn up in floor plan view. Then you can draw in (or have someone else draw in) your furniture. That will give you a better idea of what can be accommodate.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 months ago

Yes. My process as a designer is 1) Design questionnaire with questions about a myriad of things including how you live, your goals, wants/needs, etc. 2) Inspo photos 3) Floor plan.

I recommend hiring a designer who can help you or you can go through those steps yourself or you could do a combo where you could do a short consult with a designer who could give you tips to get you started.

• HU-457756048
    2 months ago

I agree that first thing is to define uses for spaces- even if some will be flexible . Where would you like to have meals, where watch TV, any WFH, any areas need to be quiet it away from TV, cozy reading spot or sunny spot for morning tea- those are just examples.
    I like the descriptor 鈥 toasty鈥 for the colors as they appear here. Still a lot of leeway on what you can use but it looks like sort of between warm & cool, mat run sort of taupe. So might not look good to add orangey or golden woods in major amounts ( in furniture and fabrics ) and not gray, but darker browns, walnut type or creamy lighter types and then lots of other colors would work for actual 鈥 color 鈥 once you know more about what pieces are needed.
    If you have clothing in various colors, you can use it like fabric swatches to see how it looks in different lighting and with the floors & such. So thinking of best neutrals and best accent colors.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 months ago

There is a lot we need to know. Do you envision living Korean/Asian/Western style here? Do you own furnishings that must be used? How many people will live here? Do you entertain others often? How do you entertain (dinner, cards/games, special TV programs/ girls parties or guys get-togethers?) What favorite colors should be considered in making a plan?

MarinMore Info

• tracefloyd
    2 months ago

I get what you're saying. With the price of real estate, it's like "For the price we're paying, they couldn't spring for real wood floors? Not even engineered hardwood?!".

• tracefloyd
    2 months ago

I re-read my comment and a year is way too long to wait. We moved into our house and lived with a ratty sofa and chair the owners left. It took six months to decide how to arrange the room with three focal points-Tv, view, and fireplace on three different walls. I'm glad we waited because now we love our layout. Six months is okay.

If I had a Houzz account two years ago, it wouldn't have taken that long. Post a floor plan...I have seen some brilliant solutions on this forum...save a lot on designer fees and put your money into furnishings. Designers do online consultations, ask the folks here how to do that on a budget...that might work for you.

• elcieg
    2 months ago

Our second daughter was born in Pusan City. She now is a mother, wife, and attained her PhD in her medical profession.

How about mixing it all up? Mix in local finds with pieces you find familiar.

Add a great piece, like this elmwood cabinet and other natural textures which will take precedence over the "fake" woods.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

I think we need to know more about you . How many people live here ? What is your style?

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you all for such kind and generous responses. I'm feeling so much better thanks to time and all of your comments. I'm tearing up. Really really thank you!

So much about buying this apartment has felt out of my control. After my relationships with people (and animals if I had any!) my home is the thing I care about most. And as a wife, mom, and immigrant, I always feel like I'm adapting to survive and slowly losing my own identity.

We are a family of 4, including 3 and 5 year old boys. We would like to incorporate a dining table for 4, our ikea soderhamn couch, and either a samsung frame tv or projector set up.

We actually use our tv more for ambience type stuff. We've had a fireplace youtube video on while setting up christmas decorations. That sort of thing!

(Pic #1) My favorite apartment I've ever lived in was over 100 years old.聽

(Pic #2) I prefer cooler colors. I like anything blue-green-grey. I like pinks, peaches, and sandy creams and beiges. As well as black and white.

(Pic #3) one of the few things I have from my life before marriage/babies. Sentimental value so I want to find a way to make it work in the new apartment.

(Pic #4) Our dining table that is a good mix of what I like and what my husband likes!

(Pic #5) The best sofa ever, Ikea soderhamn. Thinking of updating with a new slipcover from bemz. I kind of like this green velvet!

(Pic #6) The sneakily taken picture of the Floorplan. We bought the apartment but they won't even give us a copy!

The light reno we've talked about doing are things like having a dishwasher installed, or an outlet added to the niche area.聽

The 2 empty spots near the dining area are for refrigerators.聽

My style is very eclectic. I don't know how to describe it.聽

I like a mix of fancy glam with simple and clean lines.

I don't like clutter or non functional decorations.

I like rustic but more french country or cottagey than modern farmhouse. My husband likes less rustic parisian style.

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago
  • hbeing
    2 months ago

beautiful spaces and colors. your furniture and accents can add other color.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

IMO all those pics are not really helpful just adding to the confusion. Get an interior designer and you will save hours of looking at random ideas here . You give us no info not even what style you like so all you will get is this same bunch of pics that do not help. You have a blank slate and often those are the hardest to make yours so get some real help.

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh OK. I thought if I shared my current house and furniture that I have and love maybe that would help.

Do you think it would be worth it to work with an english speaking designer online?

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I really appreciate that you, Patricia, amd everyone else even took the time to look and comment.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Start with defining functions for the spaces - you鈥檒l need to dine somewhere, and sit/relax somewhere. Rugs help define spaces, so finding a couple coordinating rugs and art for the dining and living spaces will help you put together a color palette. The major furniture pieces you purchase should be neutral colors but of good quality so you can redecorate in 10 years without having to buy all new furniture. You can add your personalization and character through art, accessories etc. congratulations!! It鈥檚 a lovely space!!!

• everdebz
    2 months ago

Ashley hasn't written, so I'll respond about our photo-ideas; she hasn't yet found a beginning step- could even be one piece of furniture she has to use. I posted dining set because guess what I saw a dining light - it wasn't random.

We are supposed to peruse and get a sense of what we like - houzzers have offered possible inspiration. Unless she came here to hire someone [a great idea], we'll wait on her posts, whatever they may be.

• acm
    2 months ago

Agree that the space is pretty -- look for inspiration pictures using "Scandinavian" and "modern" as search terms. The light wood and white combination is very sharp and should support any style.

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Everdebz - I did reply I'm sorry if it's not showing up. I'm not very familiar with this app.

Is there a way I can respond to each poster personally?

• tracefloyd
    2 months ago

@JAN MOYER @CDR Design, LLC @decoenthusiaste @Patricia Colwell Consulting @everdebz

@ShadyWillowFarm @shirlpp @Norwood Architects et al...

Wait a minute.....I just saw something interesting....There are inspo pics of the EXACT space on an easel in the corner of the living room for prospective buyers to instruct them on what they need to do to the space....HELLO??? Why are we banging our heads here?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

HAHAHAHAHA possibly had a head in a phone screen..and the visual was on an EASEL, therefore, not trustworthy. Same thing on a phone? Uh......yeah, what a great idea, two thumbs up?

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, I know there are pictures on the easel. I even went and toured it that way.聽

You can too actually here is the link to the cyber model house...

It's 110D

http://360vr.cloud/2021/detre-pj/emodel/tour.html

I'm realizing that I did a terrible job of providing good information and asking for help. I'm sorry for my terrible posting etiquette.聽

I see how I have wasted your time and efforts by being so disorganized with my post.

After learning more I hope I can redeem myself in the future. Thank you again 鉂わ笍

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@JAN MOYER @CDR Design, LLC @decoenthusiaste @Patricia Colwell Consulting @everdebz @ShadyWillowFarm @shirlpp @Norwood Architects聽

Oh my god ya'll. I hade no idea I could tag people's usernames. I've posted replies and should have been tagging you guys.

I'm really sorry for my mess of a post. I feel like such a donkey. I'm sorry guys!

• Ashley Lee
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@everdebz

I know my post and responses are falling short. I'm sorry.

• everdebz
    2 months ago

Ashley, I wrote that you hadn't yet responded, but it was in reference to something else, so there is no need for any worry about sorry.

If it helps, merely express friend talk, and general thoughts; it might drift over into something serious.... one never knows around houzz! Wishing you the best. - Deb

• everdebz
    2 months ago

It's always good to know what furniture a person is moving with - that's why I brought it up - do you have any furniture?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 months ago

Hi Ashley. For some reason, I am just receiving these recent comments now. Happy Thanksgiving from USA!

I do online virtual design and would be happy to help you if you reach out to me. clare@cdrdesign.com Another idea is a local designer there.

There is no need for an apology. It is very common for a nonprofessional to not start the design process in the right place. That is just one reason of many you hire a professional. Actually most of the posts on houzz start without the correct info. You posted photos. Many posts, believe it or not, begin with zero photos or a photo of a small corner. You already realized that photos of the entire space are necessary.

Design takes into account the both the big picture and the minutia.

Each person's style is different and it is good that you have a specific grasp on what you want. I see that in your list below.

Best of success in your project, whatever route you decide.

• tracefloyd
    2 months ago

@ Tags are not active unless they turn into blue links. The ones you made are still black so not really tags yet. A bit tricky to get them to turn blue because you have to start typing to find them on a drop down list and then select, at least on my laptop anway.

• justcallmepool
    2 months ago

I don't think @ tags work on the app either. only a browser.

When I moved into my house it was also a blank slate and I had no idea where to start. I had furniture but didn't like any of it.

It's helpful to start an Ideabook in your profile with room pics you like. Then you can start to see a pattern. also others here can view your book and make suggestions based on those.

I like your idea of the green couch. Maybe search rooms with green velvet? couches and see if anything sparks ideas. Often I'll find a photo collage of room decor items and it will have a label, like 'casual glam' etc. Then google that phrase and look at images. just searching different terms and words will help you find a direction. I think that needs to come first!

You can use your previous homes as a basis for how you'll use rooms and what you like/need in them.