SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designingforfun

Do you think these RH nightstands go with my room?

Mamaof4
last year

Hello all,
I have been slowly putting my room together for the last year. First came the West Elm Andes Bed. Then the RH chest. I was going for a non matchy look based on feedback from a previous post on Houzz and decided to order the RH shagreen nightstands. While I do like the size and shape of these nightstands, I am not sure about the color. They look yellowish.

The chair is changing and the table lamps will be swapped out as well. I am wondering if I should just go for the nightstands that go with my chest bc these looked a bit washed out in my room.
Does anyone have any feedback? I really want to finish my room and would appreciate any feedback.

Comments (918)

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    4 months ago

For the chest. Thoughts on if any of these would work?

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Pics of chest to help decide vase to replace the one there.

• Related Discussions

Do you think these curtains would go in this room?

Q

Comments (7)
    Very pretty room~ I love that table lamp by the way. I cannot tell color in your photo ( I have the same issues in my house and with my camera skills) but I think those curtains are very nice. I think they are on the formal side, but I guess it's really that valance they show it with that makes it seem more formal. What color are you looking at- ? So to answer your question- I think they would be great.The only hesitation I have is the formal pull, and the color..
    ...See More

What do you think of this rug in my living room?

Q

Comments (11)
    The rug actually works really well with my current window treatments, which are roman shades topped with a valance: I've just been longing for woven wood shades and side panels. I wish that I could buy more of the fabric that I used for the valance and trim on the romans, but I made it from some drapery panels about 6 years ago, and they have been discontinued. I like the look of these panels from West Elm: I have to say, the rug is really growing on me. I got it at the most unexpected place - Big Lots - and it was only $128, and it's 100% wool.
    ...See More

What do you think of this room for my girls? (pics)

Q

Comments (6)
    Very cute! Like almost everything. Not a fan of the zebra rug at all. Looks like it came from another space where they no longer wanted to use it. I would do the ceiling the same color as the wall color. I think the white ceiling (or a coral pink one) cuts off the room - if it were the same color as the walls, the ceiling would disappear. You could also run the tree up onto the ceiling just a bit, again to blur the visual line between walls and ceiling.
    ...See More

Do you think this chair works in my family room?

Q

Comments (21)
    We moved it last night and here it is: Right now the bookcase is still there, though the plan is to phase this out as well as the coffee table. I am not sure how to finish this corner--if we should remove the bookcase, scooch the chair over and put an end table between it and the sectional OR replace this bookcase with another tall/narrow one that coordinates with one that I will select for the adjacent corner. Those following my recent threads know my plans tanked for a hutch for over my TV console so the added storage space is always a plus--but I think I could still make it work with a larger sized bookcase in the other corner (and possibly replace the coffee table with a storage ottoman) if the consensus is this side looks too cramped. I will add that we do not need any lamps for reading as we have overhead lights and the spot is right on for reading with the chair more of less where it is presently. A small end table would be nice for decor/drinks, etc.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

A lumbar, 14 x 36 is 145.00 with both sides stripe- "stripe direction may vary "

https://joliemarche.com/collections/all-pillows/products/collins?variant=40741594562695

For me? An accent lamp........on the dresser. 10 inches , and call the room done.

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/plymouth-ceramic-table-lamp/?pkey=ctable-desk-lamps

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@JanMoyer, thank you taking the time to look up the pillow. She said the space between strips is 4” and they typically make it horizontal striped. They don’t have a sample pic to show me. She can make it vertically striped if I want. If we go horizontal then it will be two blue strips with one cream. Do you think that would look ok?
    I’m thinking of getting the smaller print in 20” for the accent chair. The accent chair will be all sand so not sure how a Collin strip would look on that if I swamp it, meaning Collin on chair and small print lumbar?

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Refresher, here is chair fabric next to carpet.

• Alice Edwards
    4 months ago

I love the combination dance of the sugar plums?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Mamaof4…the room looks amazing! ok girl I love the waterfall bench! the art is perfect🤗

I love the pillows you posted..I think a combinationof all three fabrics would be so delightful and really give the bed a very cozy style not too structured…love the big pottery for chest or a pottery styled lamp..something with a organic feel…you have done a great job! enjoy! I have been out of the loop on Houzz so busy helping with the care of my 91 year old mom and trying to get things ready for the Holiday..spent way to much time on my tree! and than decided to put out my village..so much putzing. Wishing you a wondeful Holiday Season! I will check in on the family room thread hope things are going ok!

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@HomeInteriorswithEase- thank you for suggesting that bench, it’s just perfect, I love it so!
    I totally understand about how time consuming and draining care giving can be, in fact working on my room is my distraction from all that needs to be done, it’s a treat.
    I love my room so much. It use to feel dark and busy and now it’s calming, purposeful where I can sit on chair and be on the computer or watch tv). Feels open and airy.
    I thank the many Houzz posters who have followed along from the bottom of my heart, it feels like a community that wants to help and support. Special shout out to you, Julie and @JanMoyer bc you two really held my hand through this whole thing and I’m not sure many people would devote that much time to help someone else. I have learned so much.
    I read somewhere that when other parts of your life are overwhelming, you tend to control what you can, some over eat and some don’t eat, for me it’s my house. I can be a perfectionist and not want to just go with it, I get stuck- but for the first time in years I have a space I love and feel really good about that is just for me, and of course my DH:)

Happy Holidays to you all. I am also knee deep in planning a kids Christmas party for 20+ family kids and their parents and then of course the Xmas celebrations after.
    Next year I will finalize the pillows, and the piece above the chest and by then my new chair will arrive as well!!
    Ps- the family room thread, I took a break. I’m also getting a new entry way console table and those rooms are connected so I will work on that after. Perhaps some major changes may happen when we renovate the adjoining kitchen in a year or so.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago

Merry merry Christmas, take a break and enjoy the accomplishment of '23. It will all still be there in 2024!!

"Perfection" is Highly Overrated. Make it a motto for '24: )

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    4 months ago

Merry Christmas Mamaof4…wishing 2024 will bring clarity to your family room! see you next Year!

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hello everyone,
    I received the new chair yesterday and it’s comfortable!
    I also got the stripe lumbar pillow I posted late last year.
    Now I am wondering if the accent pillow on the chair works (it’s something I already owned) or if I should order a complimentary print from Jolie Marche to go with the lumbar.
    I would also welcome some advice about the art behind the chair. While it works, I am wanting something more dramatic or perhaps moody? Not sure but this one seems a little blah to me. The picture I liked better with the camel chair, however I agree the neutral chair gives me more flexibility on bedding and decor moving forward.
    I also want a small table text to the chair to set down my tea.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Here are two tables I like. But I am open to suggestions.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Use the night stand for tea. Do not cram another thing in the room. Stop decorating.

: )

There are other escapes........: )

"I read somewhere that when other parts of your life are overwhelming, you tend to control what you can, some over eat and some don’t eat, for me it’s my house."

A gym, walks, lunch with friends, books, and talking to a pro about th overwhelmed thing. That too?

The room is done, lovely, and it is the overwhelmed that makes you think just one more tweak just this just that. Nope

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@JanMoyer, I can do without the table.
    What about the pillow? Does the current one work?
    Or should I go for a solid camel pillow for the chair?

• cubby14
    2 months ago

I have been following along as you work on this room and I am really liking the way it is turning out. I think your instincts are correct and the pillow doesn't work there. Nice if it did but time to find something else. Maybe something that relates to your coverlet. I also agree with your assessment of the art behind the chair. Although it is very nice, it is a bit lackluster with what you have going on in there. I would look for something else you love to go there.

Just have to say, don't worry about continuing to tweak the rooms you live in daily. Sometimes we decide after living with it for a while that it just isn't quite giving us joy. No one but you can decide if your room is done. If that takes years who does it hurt. I have been working on my rooms for a while and still sometimes decide something needs to change.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@chubby14, thank you for your kind words and reassurance. I have heard that a home is always a work in progress.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@JanMoyer,
    I walk my puppy twice a day and have a very busy schedule with kids games, team mom duties, and even find time to workout everyday. I actually have not thought about the room since my last post on here, and now that the chair is here it got me thinking. Houzz is a community and I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking the community for advice if I’m feeling stuck.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

There is nothing wrong with tweaking a room. But there does come a point when a room is finished and looks absolutely lovely. ....

I used YOUR words . "Some people eat, some don't" Kapeesh?

There also comes a point, when you simply please yourself, trust yourself to know when you are happy : ) or not.

The picture is wonderful with the rug. The rug and bed /bedding are where you began. What you want to avoid? Going full circle to UN raveling your look, and all you accomplished.

• liasch
    2 months ago

Room looks great…but I can see why you are meh about the artwork.

• Alice Edwards
    2 months ago

Been following here as well and your room has come a long way. I agree with Lia about the art, something new for you to ponder. Pondering clears my mind from my daily loved but also monotonous routine lol. And I wanted to ask you Mamaof4 about your curtain rods, if you would? I’m on the look out for what I believe may be just like yours?

• gigi4321
    2 months ago

I've really enjoyed following along with your decorating journey. You might someday be happy with the room and not want to tweak anything.... for a while. You got a new chair and are unsure of the pillow you have. You are happy with everything you've chosen so far and are not second guessing or wanting to change anything. I'm in the camp that interiors should change as your tastes do, or when you find something better than you have now. I have yet to see a room I feel is perfect. And I unfortunately am not a "good enough" person. So I am in a constant state of designing flux. Plus I have a lot of cool things that can't be displayed at once, so I like to rotate so they have a chance to be seen.

So, don't stop until you are happy unless the search for the perfect thing makes you stressed. A lot of people like to finish a room and move on. I think you will get there soon. Unless of course you want to change the fireplace, don't want you to think anything is wrong with it. Just my opinion that it could be better. The rest of your room is gorgeous. And yes to a different pillow.

• happyleg
    2 months ago

I love the art! Yes to different pillow. Love the room & fp.

• annbecchina
    2 months ago

I am painfully envious of how beautiful this has turned out- my BR is always the last priority (everything I don’t know what to do with gets dumped there, lol) so I would be embarrassed to post a pic.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 months ago

I like the pottery barn gold side table - but fall in the camp that the pillow is perfectly fine.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 months ago

Hi Mamaof4 looking beautiful and calm! I like the idea of a different drink table..why not something dark like the dresser/chest..to bring in a deeper moody vibe…pillow is ok on chair but certainly not fab…easy to work on.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 months ago

Maybe something like this

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

HIWE- I love the idea of adding something dark to echo the dresser colors.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@AliceEdwards- my rods are from Potterh Barn. They only have one type of these French return ones. The rings are also Pottery barn, although caution they are very heavy.
    Thank you for your words of reassurance about my room. Such a pretty room to sit and ponder in now:)

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@gigi4321- I am not a good enough person either. I also like change so I can going to have two sets of throw pillows in the end, the stripe one and the earlier ones I posted from PB, the grey and camel velour ones. This room is the most complete and put together one, I took my time and did not rush. Yes, there were hiccups along the way and I was stuck in the bench for a while. While the old bench was fine, I love the waterfall one so much more. I agree in the fireplace, it could be tweaked. I will add some personal black and white photos leaned on fireplace at some pt, or maybe just leave it blank.
    @annbecchina- I hear you on our rooms being last priority. It took a long time for me to focus on it, and even then I could not do it one sweep bc DH would not have been happy with a large sim cost all at once. It was nice to do it piece by peace.
    I love seeing a lot of new names on the comments. I appreciate you all dropping a message.
    This is a long thread, but as I mentioned before, I hope others will see my struggle, my progress and learn from it if they have a similar style to me.
    I guess I know what I don’t like, but in terms of like from a large amount of options, sometimes it’s overwhelming.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’m thinking of getting one from the collection that goes with the stripe pillow for the chair. Either the large print or the small print one in two pics below. I’m leaving towards the large print one bc it has the cream base, brown and the blue to tie in all the colors.
    Thoughts?

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I could also go with Goldie to tie in the camel bedding.

• barncatz
    2 months ago

I don't see much difference between the pillow you have currently and the ones you are considering. Your chair is so stylish, does it need a pillow? If it's comfortable without one, I'd leave it bare. I think that would suit the chair art pairing, as well, making that spot cleaner and more serene and letting the bed stand out.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Barncatz- even though this is the smaller version of the RH Oliver chair, I still need a cushion. I’m petite.
    Good point that some of the pillows look like the one I have. I think the one with more white in it may work better. Or the camel color one.

• cubby14
    2 months ago

I like the Goldie. Would a smaller
    lumbar pillow work for you? Being on the short side myself, I get the need. Just think it might look nicer to not cover up so much of the chair back.

• Alice Edwards
    2 months ago

Thank you mamaof4, appreciate you.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@cubby14- you are totally correct! I think a small lumbar would work better. I ordered an inexpensive camel boucle one off Amazon one to try.

• pat1250
    2 months ago

O yes, cubby is right….the size of the existing pillow is out of proportion. Looking forward to seeing the camel boucle pillow you’ve ordered. And your bedroom, btw, is quite calming, with a lovely amount of texture to make it cozy too!

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@HomeInteriorsWithEase- I ordered the bronze table and it arrived.
    What do you think? I feel like it’s too high next to that chair but maybe that’s bc the table I had there was so low.
    It’s also more black than bronze.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 months ago

Mamaof4 I think it is perfect! the dark finish adds contrast really like it. your room looks so beautiful has a very sophisticated style but relaxing.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@HomeInteriordwithEase- thanks for the reassurance, I need that.
    Just waiting on the new lumbar pillow for the chair I ordered from Jolie Marche and it’s done!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 months ago

Now the entire room has come together your rug looks so beautiful too! and look at how great the NS look❤️

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@HomeInteriorsWithEase, I love all the pieces you helped me select! Thank you for your help, your patience and kindness through this all. I’m reflecting on how far the rooom has come. I was so confused about the nightstands and never would have looked at shagreen had you not brought it to my attention.
    In hindsight, the issue with the chair worked out for the best. This chair is very comfortable and I do love the swivel feature. Also, the neutral color allows me more flexibility in the future if I decide to change up the colors of my bedding.
    Love my art work and the bench! And the dresser and mirror on top.
    Also, my TV across from the bed is a fantastic placement. Not something I went into this considering, but I enjoy it so much every evening.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 months ago

Mamaof4 my pleasure! you are such a sweetheart and was fun to help out…now enjoy!

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    last month

Hello everyone,

I am officially done with my room. I ordered a small lumbar pillow for my chair and I like it. I wanted to share pics of the room to close out this post as a before and after. Here is how it looks now. Next post will be how it started.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    last month

How it started in Nov 2022…

The end tables were smaller and the chair was on the other side of the room. Thanks this group I was able to figure out how to make my room more functional and asthetic- I love it now!
    I hope this post helps someone who is trying to figure things out, how curtains help frame the room, the scale change of the chair and the bedding changes.
    I appreciate you all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Special shout out to @HomeInteriorswithEase- you supported me through this for 2+ years. Many of the pieces here were recommended by you. May the good karma I am sending find it’s way into your world.

• cubby14
    last month

Beautiful Room. You did a great job sifting through all of the ideas and opinions and coming up with things that work for you and your lifestyle and are beautiful to look at. Isn't that what we all want?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Mamaof4..thanks for the shout out! feeling the Good Karma already❤️ looking forward to your next project!

• barncatz
    last month

It looks just wonderful. The new table and pillow were great choices.

• dsimber
    last month
    last modified: last month

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing the before and after photos! Following your thread has been a joy! I've loved every choice you've made. If you have the information at your fingertips, would you please share the source of your area rug and of the art you have on the wall across from your bed? In your own time, of course.

• Mamaof4
    Original Author
    last month

@dsimber- thanks!

I love the carpet so much I have it in two different rooms.